EH Holy Grail Nano Neo....Help.....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Joe M, May 21, 2019.

1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Just picked up this pedal to use with my one amp that doesn't have built-in reverb. The reverb sound is great, sounds very similar to the one in my Fender Deluxe Reverb. Problem is, unless my ancient ears have really gone south, which is a distinct possibility, I can't hear any difference in the three different settings; spring, hall, plate. Before I take it back to the store and tell them there's something wrong with it, help me out, is there a noticeable difference in the three settings?

Thanks

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that the EH Holy Grail nano is a great reverb that sounds quite like the reverb that's built into a Deluxe Reverb. That's why I bought it. But you should be able to hear the difference between spring and hall, and I think the third option should be flerb. It is on mine, anyway. But even if it's plate, you should definitely be able to hear a difference. Turn the mix way up and see if you can hear the difference. If you can't, the switch isn't working properly.

3. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I feel like some people may not be able to tell the difference between spring & plate, but the flerb should be noticeably different. It's a reverse reverb, right? Maybe the 3-way switch is shot?

4. Joe M

Admin Post
    Guys, this is the “Neo” model, no flerb setting, plate instead.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Right. EHX wisely ditched "Flerb" in the current version.

6. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

No audible difference no matter the knob position on each setting?

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I'm an Avid EHX fan, and it seems more likely the unit is defective than they put a control for an effect with no difference.

If you bought it at GC, I always feel confident that if I embarrass myself not knowing something, thier turnover is high enough that I wont encounter the same employee again.....

Either way, I wish you luck getting it working 100%. The nano shells look cool.

8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I had one of those and found it to be “ok”.
    Went to a Keeley Omni and haven’t looked back. HUGE difference in the two!

9. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

I have the nano and the big box classic where I changed the flerb to plate, so it's actually a neo classic. :)
    Compared to other reverb pedals all the modes on the Holy Grail sound very similar.
    They seem to be one and the same algorithm slightly tweaked (brighter/duller, splashier, more/less predelay, shorter/longer decay etc) and then given a name like plate, hall, room, spring...
    If you turn up the mix to 100% wet you should definitely hear some differences but playing at moderate volumes and at low mix settings, they sound the same.

10. Joe M

Admin Post
    Thanks for that. That is kinda what I was starting to think. I've only tried the pedal at moderate volume with just a bit of reverb, not surf city. Again, I don't have a problem with the sound, just thought I'd hear a difference. I always just use a bit of verb to add some depth, if that's the case, the pedal is fine. I'll give it a try at the 100% setting when I get home later this afternoon to see if it sounds different, even though I'll never crank it.

11. Joe M

Admin Post
    Update....tried the pedal set at 100% wet. I did hear a slight difference in the three settings, seems to be very minimal. At this point, I’ve got to believe there’s something wrong with the pedal, taking it back tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.