Ego Comp noisy?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mugen74, Apr 8, 2020.

1. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

Got a Wampler Ego Comp Mini today. Sounds great but is super noisy on my gain channel when not playing. Anyone else have this issue?

jh

I’d like to add that it also adds noise on the clean channel when an OD pedal is on.

tah1962 likes this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

A couple of questions.
    • Are you running it before or after your drive pedals?
    • Are you running it above unity gain, or equal to your amp volume if you turn it on/off
    • Did any of your other pedals create noise before you added the compressor to your signal chain?
    I’ve had one of these compressors for about a year and mine isn’t very noisy at all. Many times, a power supply, or the cables used on a pedalboard contribute to noise issues.

3. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

This is the current order: tuner, comp, boost, od, amp. It’s all powered by an MXR iso block, short Hosa patch cables. No noise before. I can’t really crank the amp right now due the hour of night. It’s a DSL20H into a 1X12 cab The volume on the comp is at noon.

jh

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

The MXR iso block isn't really isolated, so drop a battery into the Ego and see what that does first. He asked if the comp is at unity gain, saying its at noon doesn't say much.

Is your volume the same level with the comp turned on and off?

5. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

There is a slight volume boost with the comp on. I can’t turn the amp up more now as it’s 10:30 and I don’t want to disturb others in the house. It’s the mini pedal so I can’t put a battery in it.

jh

JuneauMike likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I just bought a Mini Ego (it's in the mails), and IIRC, it doesn't take a battery.

7. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

Should I just wait until a decent hour and try again? I like the sound but not the noise.

jh

8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I had an MXR ISO Block and got rid of it because it was noisy with my pedals. I also had a buddy that used Hosa cables on his board and it was noisy. One night before practice I took several George L cables off of my board and hooked his pedals up, no noise. It could just be one bad cable that’s giving you problems. Do you have extras you can try?

As far as settings, I run the Blend and Volume around 10 o’clock, and the Sustain around 1 o’clock. If I turn the volume up 4-5 dB over unity gain, I start to get a little noise. That’s why I asked about unity gain.

9. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I have some more cables and another power supply I can hook it up with. I’ll try a few different things tomorrow after work and report back. Thanks for all the replies.

jh

10. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I was thinking the MXR Iso-Brick is truly isolated; the earlier model DC-Brick is not. Am I wrong on that?

JuneauMike likes this.
  11. JuneauMike

I may be confusing them. Does this one have a 3 prong AC plug, or DC wall wart?

12. JuneauMike

Having a few of these onhand is great for times like this:

w0znciqnwgl7ml1xkspn.jpg

Telecaster88 and BorderRadio like this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey, I have one of those!

JuneauMike likes this.
  14. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Both the Iso and DC have a wall wart. MXR definitely claims Iso is “fully isolated” and they charge double the price of the DC. Not sure what all that means.

15. JuneauMike

Yeah, I don't really know either. The Donner/Caline/Joyo stuff all claim they are isolated too, so out of frustration I just made it a point to look for the ones with 3 prong AC plugs.

16. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Did you have another compressor in the signal chain before? If so, is it “noisy” now if you put it in the same spot, with the same power and patch cables? If not, have you used a compressor much in the past?

I have found that even very good compressors can add noise. They do bring up the noise floor. Does the noise level change as you adjust the Ego’s settings?

Dirty Dave likes this.
  17. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

the MXR ISO block has isolated outputs. Hence the name ISO block. The MXR DC Brick is non isolated.

BTW, why the heck are you using a compressor with either a dirty channel or a dirt pedal. The compressor is essentially for clean tones, at least that is my understanding. The dirt pedal or channel should have plenty of sustain on its own.

18. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I am running my Ego Mini via my Harley Bentom ISO-2 Pro, which is isolated, and it also adds some noise. I can live with it, but I can tell it's there. It also working as a boost so I set the level back and it's alright for me. Isn't it because the Ego is based on the MXR Carbon copy circuit, and that one is pretty noisy?

19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave TDPRI Member

What amp are you running it into?

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave TDPRI Member

Don't answer that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.