Egnater/Vox/Peavey

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by nathanteal, Dec 28, 2012.

1. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

So I've been playing the guitar for a good 10.5 years now and finally purchased my first electric guitar (my acoustics have worked their way into custom-hood)--yes, a Tele--on black friday. I've been researching amps for some time now, and have narrowed my options down to these 3: Egnater Tweaker-40 112 Combo, Vox AC30(cc2), and Peavey Classic 50. My style is mostly pop/rock, original stuff and I don't cover much unless you consider leading worship at church "cover material."

I like the tone of the AC30s, but it's just a tad out of my price range. I've only been able to get demos of the C50 cause no local store has one and I am going to the local GC to check out the Egnater tomorrow, and the versatility from what I've read intrigues me. All the amps have excellent reviews except there seem to be quality questions regarding the AC30 amps. I the only negatives I've heard have been in battles over AC30/C50 and are completely biased.

Essentially, I'm looking for opinions on the three amps listed, or suggestions of similarly voiced/priced amps ($600-$900 range). Why do you like/dislike any of them? WHat are the pros/cons? Any help appreciated, thanks!

2. telefunk21

telefunk21 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Just yesterday I actually purchased an Egnater Tweaker 15 amp head off Ebay, now I had played it in GC before and The versatility and is pretty awesome, it allows you to grab a range of tones, from American, to those Vox like tones (not spot on but pretty close), and even some marshall british crunch. Now I believe the Tweaker 40 has all of those features plus a few extra goodies, one of which is it is foot switchable channels I believe I could be wrong. IMO Bang for the buck Egnater is right up there .

Don't get me wrong the Vox AC30 is a rediculous tonal dream, but as you said a bit pricey, and I haven't had a chance to play the Peavey Clasic 50, I played a Classic 30 Combo in a local guitar shop the other day and man that thing is a tone machine and also kicks some srious butt.

IMO I love Egnater for it's versatility, and just maybe the Peavey classic 50 Might Have it beat on tone. But then again, ultimately it comes down to you because my ears may think something sounds like gold, and your ears may think it sounds like dog turd.

Good Luck shopping!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  3. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I have a PV classic 50 410 and a Egnater Tweaker 15 and would pick the Tweaker every time.

4. Comanche

Comanche TDPRI Member

Fender Blues Deluxe or a Blackstar HT40
    Both are rock solid workhorse amps

5. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I have owned the classic 50 2x12, classic 30 head, and now own a Blackstar HT40. The Blackstar is quite versatile with it's different voicings on both the clean and dirty channel. It has way more gain than I would ever use (especially in church). I am thinking about getting a classic 50 head and 4x12 cab. Ultimately, they're all great choices!

6. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

It's a shame you can't get to play the Peavey. If it's anything like the Classic 30, then it's an awesome amp.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Egnator Rebel 20, a 212 C50 PV with G12H-30/Alnico Blue Speakers, and had an AC15 with a Red Fang in it. Kept the Red Fang and traded off the AC15, use the Rebel most of the time with the red fang. Not used the PV for a while but will never sell it. I also have a 63 Brown Pro, the PV and the Pro are too loud, but I won't get rid of them. The Rebel 20 with NOS power tubes and Tung Sol RI 12AX7s is way better than I ever imagined it would/could be.

YMMV, but take all this as you will...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  8. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Well I think you will be really happy with Peavey Classic. I have one as well (different version though) and it is simply a wonderful amp. Tones are awesome, it's versatile, made in USA and price is nice (I've got mine for $40). I tried Eggnater at GC as well, with couple of other amps with my guitar though and I believe that you need to do the same thing, specially with a amp purchase. I couldn't be happier with mine and I'm sure you'll find yours. But you really need to try the amp, samples don't do the justice, even if they use same guitar as you do. I would try some pawn shops and Craigslist and drive up somewhere and test drive the amp. Good luck.

9. MintBerryCrunch

MintBerryCrunch Tele-Meister

I have the Egnater Tweaker 40:

Two identical channels (footswitchable)
    tube effects loop (footswitchable)

Dip switches for: usa/vox/brit on Eq, 4 pair for sound tweaking (hot/clean, midcut/normal etc.), modern/vintage on the channel volume as well.

Tweaker40 plays well as my a/b to the Orange Thunder30 - taking pedals much better over the clean channel imho than the Orange while also being a tad quieter (although the f/x loop is superior on the Orange imho). Not too bad comparing a $799 amp to a $1379 one...

The biggest benefit of the tweaker series is you have an inkling of what the various amps sound like if you never did, and you can blend things on it the original's could not do alone (however, I think the Tone control on Vox maybe something special).

The Tweaker15 uses 6V6 output tubes, the Tweaker40 uses 6L6...

Happy hunting.

10. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

Tweaker 15

Can't say enough good things about the Tweaker 15. I use a pair (stock) into a 212 stereo cab (Tourmaster with Vintage 30s). Best stage tone I've ever had, and I've been playing since the 60s. These amps will do Fender, Vox and Marshall voicing very well. Speaking for myself, I run them in a "warm" Fender mode that gets more aggressive as I hit it. With stereo FX, it's like floating on the proverbial cloud of .....

Attached Files:

11. telefunk21

telefunk21 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

^ that is a sweet looking rig and mancave/studio/garage

12. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Did you seriously just recommend a Blues Deluxe when the three amps mentioned are so far beyond it in both tone and quality??? :rolleyes:

Classic 50 is a killer amp, but the AC30 is a pretty common go to for some of the biggest names around (both Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood play them). I've only played through a Tweaker in a store, but I would still say that while its VERY diverse in what you can make it do/sound like, for most stuff the Classic 50 will do it all and keep quite a chunk of change in your pocket.

All are good amps, the PV is the value winner, the AC30 would be my choice "money is no object" and the Tweaker would be an amp I would just like to have in general to screw around with.

I guess it depends on what you want to do and for "pop rock" I guess you might need a lot of tonal options which would suggest the Tweaker. I'm a Die hard Classic 50 fan mostly because its base tones are great and I can play with it and let my own style come through. I'm not much for twidling a lot after I've found my "go to" tones in the clean and lead channels. The AC30 is a flat out gorgeous sounding amp, but the C50 can do a reasonable impersonation. Both the AC30 and C50 are EL84 amps and they have a similar timbre because of this.

So basicly:

Strapped for cash, want a lot of amp for little money: Classic 50...

Money is no object: AC30 all day long...

Like t play with knobs and try a bunch of different combinations to "find your tone": Tweaker....

Cheers

Dave

13. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

+1

I couldn't say it better

14. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Blackstar 20 might be worth throwing into the mix.

15. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

Thanks. Actually, it's a stage at one of our local establishments. My man cave is much more interesting;)

16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

You just purchased your first electric guitar, and now your first amp is going to be an Egnater Tweaker 40, Vox AC30 or Peavey Classic 50?

Is there a good reason for needing so much firepower for your first amp? You'll never get away with it at church, so unless you're playing out, at very large venues, then I'd say you need to think smaller.

IMHO, Egnater amps are "gimic" amps, so they're out. I DO like the Vox sound, so if you're looking for warm, buttery smooth clean sounds, with some chime, and a very nice crunchy OD sound, then check out the AC15, or a NOS, USA-made Crate V1512T, for about half the price of the Vox. If you really like Peavey amps (I don't disklike them, but I'm not a big fan, either), then check out the Classic 30.

17. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Have you ever played an Egnater amp (other than 5min in a GC)? :eek: I wouldn't discount them so quickly. When I gig my Tweaker, I put it on the Marshall "clean" setting and leave it there. It is beautiful and works well with pedals. It's also very fun at home with all of the sounds available.

My first tube amp was a PV Classic 410 and I did play it in church (quietly). They have volume knobs. ;) I still have it but like my other amps better.

18. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Valid question, but I'm not a hobbyist by any stretch of the imagination. The church I am attending is of a pretty decent size (seats up to 1200) and for the most part likes a well-pumped sound. Again, venturing into the pop/rock arena, sometimes jazz and blues. One of our lead guitarists plays through a Blackstar HT40. Just sayin'. Plus, I'm super picky when it comes to tone, but super limited when it comes to all things monetary.

I'm looking for a little more wattage because my band is starting slowly to pick up more gigs (we won the battle of the bands quite easily), I'm starting some of my own recording, and I want something that will do the trick for some time to come, since I would rather not buy one amp and then another and then another to suit as we build an audience. It's called "thinking ahead."

That being said, I tried out the Egnater Tweaker amps, and I have to be honest...not sold on them. They seemed just a little dry..a little reverb might help. I then tried an AC15C1, and man alive! If I wasn't time-restricted, I could've set there all day long. As a friend of mine said, you know you've found the tone when you get hit with a sudden burst of creativity (paraphrased). Yes, it's smaller than I was going for, but it's plenty stinkin' loud just the same. For $600, not bad. I might be sold. Only drawback is there's no drive channel so I'll have to invest in a pedal or two. 41/41 5-star reviews at GC's website, keeping to the footprints of the elder brother. I just gotta find a Classic 50 to try before making the final call.

19. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

I've heard the Blues Deluxe recommended many times before. One of the local music store owners purports that "there's no such thing as bad tone." Much like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," tone is all subjective. Now I do believe that there is some general agreement as to what is better/best/prefered over another, and I tend to go with the flow in that, but at the same rate I dare not bash another for saying, "ya know, I kinda like this other way better." That being said, again, the Blues Deluxe seems to be a reasonably popular amp, so it's safe to assume that there is a good sized crowd of that persuasion.

That is all :D

20. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.