1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Egnater Tweaker 112X cab...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve been holding off on a review... thinking it can’t actually be THAT good... but it is.

I wanted an ext cab for my Origin 20. I stumbled onto the Egnater Tweaker 112X on line. The reviews are pretty much stellar across the board. I really couldn’t find a bad one. For the price, I figured why not? If it sucks and all the reviews turn out to be internet/forum hysteria I can always return it.

$249 brand new.

Celestion “elite” speaker, which is a 50 watt version of the G12H-30, and made just for Egnater.

High quality build, and lightweight. Under 20 pounds.

This cab sounds... amazing.

HUGE low end capabilities for what amounts to an open backed 112. You’ll want to watch your bass control. That said, it’s not muddy or flubby in the least. Plenty tight and punchy in the bass. And a LOT of it. Highs are smooth. I think it’s got a decent mid presence, as you’d expect from a real Celestion, but it’s not what I’d call “mid forward” at all. Compared to the tone of my Origin 20 combo by itself, it’s much less mid heavy. Combined with the origin combo, it’s crazy good.

The origin, for a small, low wattage, 1x10 combo sounds great. And has decent low end all on its own. Combine it with this ext cab, and the whole sound just gets HUGE. And really 3D. Disconnecting the Tweaker cab, I have to spend some time to let my ears get accustomed to the amp without it again. It just adds waaaaaaay more to the sound than you’d think a simple 112 ext cab would be capable of.

I’ve also tried it with an 18 watt hand made head I have, and it totally transformed that amp. I haven’t used it much because it was always too bright and harsh for me. Now it’s still got plenty of top end, but it sounds much more full and pleasant.

I’ve also tried disconnecting the internal speaker in the origin combo and just using this cab. It’s an entirely different amp. It sounds very impressive on its own for its size and wattage. And for a 10” speaker. But into the Tweaker 112 it immediately sounds like it’s got about twice the size and spread, and the sound is just... bigger. And much more full spectrum.

I’ve had cabs ranging from $99 (used 440 Live with a 70/80) to some very expensive models from boutique makers ranging up to $700 or $800 or so. Yeah, for a 112 cab. What was I thinking? This Egnater is hands down better than all of them.

I’m not a woodworker/cabinet maker. I’m sure other cabs contain materials or building techniques that make them superior on paper. And I’m sure that for somebody in the know about that stuff it justifies the added expense. I don’t dispute that.

What I know is that I’ve had a ton of speaker cabs. I’ve never gotten this excited about one. It’s a really great sounding cabinet! And for a much better price than most of the competition it crushes.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Hard to find good cabs for a good price.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Cool.
    I'm glad Egnator found their niche.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got one of those cabs, along with a Tweaker 15 head. The speaker is indeed very, very good-I yanked it out of the cab and put it in my DRRI...

Ronzo, Jakedog and PhredE like this.
  5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Interesting.

I just looked up the specs for the G12-H30. The std version is 100db, 75-5000Hz, etc. and has a fairly flat mid response. I'll bet it sounds nice and loud with good top and bottom too. Sweet.

Is the speaker fully broken in yet? .. Just curious.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Not even close. I’ve got maybe a few hours on it. I can’t wait to hear how it smooths out after about a year of gigs. If I ever get to to gig again..

PhredE likes this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

That's awesome when a speaker sounds so good so early on.. I imagine it will sound so much better after more playing time too. Good luck!

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Good choice, @Jakedog. I’ve had mine, plus the Tweaker 15 head, for about five years now. I love that cab, and that head!

Jakedog likes this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

True. I did have an Egnater 112 cab once, and it was probably the best cab of that type I've ever owned. And it wasn't very expensive either. Solid Birch.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

I bought the 15w Tweaker Head to go with a cab build...sounds great

Jakedog likes this.
  11. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I have one of these cabs too, they're absolutely fantastic. I have no idea how they make them as great as they are for as cheap, but Egnater cabs are killer. I also have a Tourmaster 212x and it's an excellent bit of gear. Unfortunately, they'll be on their way out soon as I've forced myself to downsize to a single combo for a few reasons, though keeping the extra 112 around is a very tempting prospect because it's just so good.

The 112x also sounds really sweet pushed by an AC10C1, if you have a similar amp to try it on, @Jakedog.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Jakedog

Just a heads up- just discovered that GC is currently selling these cabs for $199. There’s not a better 112 to be had anywhere near that price. No affiliation, but if you’re looking for a killer price on a great cab, this is it.

3-Chord-Genius and Treehouse like this.
  13. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple 1x12 cabs. I replaced the speakers with Scumbacks, but the Celestions in them are just fine. I'm running a 50 watt head, and wanted to be able to safely run one cab. The Scumbacks are 100 watt speakers.

Probably wasn't worth the cost to replace the speaker in the second cab, but you know how that goes.

At any rate they sound great, very lightweight, inexpensive...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like Amazon and MF also have them for $199, but they're currently on backorder.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Jakedog

They must be going fast. They had em the other day!

16. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

OP should have expected that one coming on a Fender forum. lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.