1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Egnater Tourmaster dead channel tip

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by mtglick, Jan 24, 2021.

  1. mtglick

    mtglick TDPRI Member

    Age:
    46
    Posts:
    42
    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2020
    Location:
    LA-ish
    Have had an Egnater Tourmaster 4212 combo for about a year or so. Got it essentially free, had two Celestion speakers in it that I wanted for another project. Paid $100 for the whole box, missing its footswitch and all of its tubes. Guy I got it from had it from an amp tech that got out of the business, was a project that he never got around to or couldn't solve. I'd read online that these had quality problems, but as it turned out, this was the 2nd generation version that supposedly had the bugs ironed out of the power section. Nevertheless, was prepared to part it out if I couldn't get it working.

    Got it home, grabbed some spare tubes and threw a set of speakers in it, fired it up and started running through the channels. Sounded pretty nice, all the channels were working, cleans were good, OD sounded good, more or less as expected. Everything seemed to be working fine, so I patted myself on the back and just started plucking on it, getting familiar with what it did and dialing in a few tones (so many, many knobs...).

    Then channel 4 (OD2) just died--clicked into the channel and zip. And my heart sank a little. Went hunting through the tubes, maybe OD2's overdrive tube blew? Was an older tube, didn't think much of it, replaced it, fired up fine, and then it died again. Swapped some tubes around and they were all fine. All of the other channels worked, including OD1, which shared that same tube, so figured it was just a gremlin that I'd have to live with for a super cheap version of an otherwise nice combo. Everybody said the cleans and OD1 was where these things did great anyway, but it bugged me, like a piece of popcorn in your gumline. Irritating, but nonlethal.

    Was reading around about another project, and came across a tip that's worth relating, because it solved the problem in like three seconds. Apparently on these, and on other amps, the factory soldered the pots on without a jig, counting on the relative flexibility of the pot legs to correct slight misalignments. Since the terms "solder" and "flexibility" should never really be used in the same sentence, much less in the same project, the pots eventually break solder connections.

    The problem with the amp was that, when OD2 was engaged, there was almost no signal. Sweeping the volume pot through its range, at ONE spot around 2 oclock there was a slight signal improvement, but otherwise, very, very weak. So yesterday, hoping the volume pot was bad, I pulled the knob, powered on the amp, and started to loosen the pot nut, so I could give the pot a wiggle to test that idea. One half turn of the wrench, and OD2 was back in perfect working order. The solder connection for that pot is in fact broken, but just SLIGHTLY disconnected, which is why it was intermittent. By loosening the nut, the pot pulled back just enough to re-establish connection. I still have to go in and reflow the solder, but it works fine now.

    End of the story, have a decent 2x12 100w combo that just needed a screw loosened, and will be using that tip to evaluate other amps with dead channels going forward.
     
    dan40 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.