1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Egnater Rebel 30 I broke plastic tube tip in socket...help!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Danb541, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I have zero experience with amps. I have a rebel 30 combo and the clean channel starting dropping volume intermittently. I didn't really know where to start so I bought a new tube set since the amp is 10 plus years old. I am good with wiring guitars and stuff but amps scare me. Two questions:

1. I broke the tip or guide off the tube when pulling the original out and it stuck in the socket. I tried pulling it out with needle nose pliers and it just broke more. The top side of the socket looks like a circuit board, I was hoping I could push it through from the top side but that doesn't seem possible. It looks like two screws hole the socket in, I though about removing those to see if I could pull it out and push the broken plastic through. I'm not sure if I would make things worse.
    I ended up just putting the old tube back in with the broken piece still in there. I then biased the amp (first time doing that) it was pretty easy. Everything seems to be working now but I've only played the amp for 20 minutes or so. Is it okay to just leave it like it is? Any ideas for removing the broken plastic so I can use the new tube? All the rest of the tubes are new.
    (I did spray all the sockets with electronics cleaner)

2. As I said, I biased the amp. It has little ports for the Ohm meter and little pentameters to turn. It said to set it at 45, which I did. The amp had maybe been on 5 minutes when I Biased it. After I was done I started wondering if I should have let it warm up more. What's the general rule here? Should I leave it on for an hour tonight and recheck the bias?

Thanks in advance!

2. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

If you have a set of drill bits try to get one stuck to broken piece if it has a center hole. Perhaps you need to use pliers to rotate drill bit and push it down. Then pull it out.

If not succeed are you able to drill it away using bigger and bigger drill bit?

I think 15 minutes is long enough warm up time which includes 10 minutes normal playing.

Danb541 likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If the broken key has a center hole, grab a toothpick that fits snugly in the hole. Apply a *very* small amount of CA adhesive (superglue) to the toothpick (just enough to make the wood shiny) and poke it into the hole. Let the CA cure for a munite and then pull the toothpick. The key will come right out.

Do not use excessive CA or you may glue the key in the socket.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Tim S, Jakedog and Danb541 like this.
  4. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Power off, and unplug it from the wall. Get some kind of screw that will thread in the plastic nub... preferably sheet metal or wood. Any screw type might work, but the more threads that “bite” into it the better. If the screw is too big however it can expand the whole thing in the socket, so be mindful of that. Once you’ve got the screw in it, pull up on the screw head to pull it out.

Should be easy.

TwoBear and Danb541 like this.
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Thank you to all of the above. Great suggestions. They all sound like they would work.

Is there any issue with running the tube with the broken key inside. I'm referring to the same tube the the key broke off. It seems to be working. Is the key just a guide so the pins go in right or is it important? I plan to get it out and put in the new tube in but am wondering if this makes a difference. Just for my own knowledge.

6. Peegoo

No, not a problem. The critical thing with an octal tube is to make sure it's plugged in correctly (that's what the key does--it aligns the pins into the correct socket contacts).

A nine-pin tube has that gap in the pins so it can go in only one way.

An octal tube with a broken pin can go in one correct way and seven wrong ways, and you can cook the tube or damage the amp if you get it wrong.

7. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Okay thanks, this makes perfect sense. I know I got it right because I lined the pins up exactly the same as the 6V6 tube right next to it. Thanks for your help.

Peegoo likes this.
  8. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Just be careful when inserting any metal objects down into the socket. Most amps will drain their residual voltage when turned off but there are still a few that hold their full B+ voltage even after being powered off and unplugged. The center of the socket is safe as long as you don't push anything to far in. The pins around the edge are the potential danger and contact with the wrong one could expose you to 400v or more. Just take your time and work carefully and you will be good.

TwoBear likes this.
  9. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Thank you so much for this advice. I did not know that. Amps scare me a little. I’m considering just leaving it at this point. The tube is obviously still working even though it’s 10 years old. I’ll have the new tube if it fails down the road and deal with it then.

10. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Are you running the old tube paired with a new tube?

11. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Yes

12. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I will let someone more experienced chimed in, but this is probably not advisable. I would keep them paired, whether old or new.

13. Peegoo

Years ago, whenever a tube crapped out in an amp, you went to the local TV repair shop, Lafayette Electronics, or Radio Shack and bought a new tube. You popped it in and played the amp for another 10 years. Pros and amateurs alike all did it this way.

The imperative to rebias an amp started when the Internet took root. Same goes for "matched" tubes.

Does rebiasing really matter? Not that much, in the grand scheme of things.

dan40, ce24, Danb541 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I did bias the amp.

15. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

If you are comfortable working with your meter, it's easy to take a quick voltage check of the socket from outside of the amp. Just let us know if you are interested and one of us could walk you through the process of checking the socket.

16. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Oh man alive, I appreciate the offer but think I'm going to roll with what I have at this point. I know my way around a meter but I don't understand why. Know what I mean? Even wiring a guitar, I follow the schematic. I have gotten much better trouble shooting guitar wiring but an amp? I get hot wires and grounds but capacitors and resisters and all these see amp things... I dunno

dan40 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.