Eggs over easy

Mike SS

Poster Extraordinaire
The suggestion of steam and a lid is a lazy man's "basted". For true basted eggs you are supposed to continually spoon the butter/lard/oil from the pan over the top of the cooking eggs.
I worked for several years as the main breakfast cook at a local fresh prep cafe. Eggs are a specialty of mine. I use only butter and have a pan I designate "Eggs Only". Do not try to force the eggs to cook quickly, keep the heat low and you will not get the nasty cellophane crust.
I had one regular customer, a quiet elderly man, who wanted his over hard eggs fried to the consistency of a slice of wood. The entire egg had to be brown and crunchy. I found it disgusting, but that is what the customer wanted.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I cook eggs to order. Only type that I am not proficient at is scrambled eggs, but my wife (the non-cook bass player) can nail scrambled eggs. My specialty are original variants of Denver omelettes. Fluffy goodness to perfection.

My type of fried egg is based upon my mood and what is being served with them. Over easy and runny for bacon or dipping toast. Over hard for egg McDs.

Of course, I cook on a wood cookstove, so the heat is adjusted by sliding the skillet around.:cool:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The suggestion of steam and a lid is a lazy man's "basted". For true basted eggs you are supposed to continually spoon the butter/lard/oil from the pan over the top of the cooking eggs.
I worked for several years as the main breakfast cook at a local fresh prep cafe. Eggs are a specialty of mine. I use only butter and have a pan I designate "Eggs Only". Do not try to force the eggs to cook quickly, keep the heat low and you will not get the nasty cellophane crust.
I had one regular customer, a quiet elderly man, who wanted his over hard eggs fried to the consistency of a slice of wood. The entire egg had to be brown and crunchy. I found it disgusting, but that is what the customer wanted.

So you remember me. :)

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
More of a suggestion for sunny side up but putting a bit of water (tablespoon or so) on the bottom of the pan and covering with a lid does wonders. The steam helps cook the top of the whites/yolk while still maintaining the yolk’s runniness.

This is how I do it also, perfect every time.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I like eggs pretty much every way except over hard. Over easy, basted sunny side up, steamed with lid on, scrambled. The way I soft boil eggs is in a pot with about 1/2" of water, lid on, about 6.5 min depending on size. Poached I'll strain the eggs a little bit, 3 min in low/no boil in water with a splash of vinegar.

Weazel

Tele-Holic
I put the whole unbroken yoke in my mouth. It is a real yoke rush of richness and it leaves the plate relatively clean. First I eat as much of the egg white as I can without breaking the yoke. Then I carefully get the yoke on the fork without breaking the yoke. Party on.

This right here is the right way to eat eggs.

Mark E Rhodes

Tele-Meister
My dad liked fried egg sandwiches with pepper and mayonnaise and I do too.
I like eggs fried hard. I won't order fried eggs in restaurants anymore UNLESS I want them runny--and that's how they will be even if I say I want them fried hard--but that's not when I'm having a sandwich, that's the occasional brunch with grits and bacon and toast.

telekaster1999

Tele-Afflicted
More of a suggestion for sunny side up but putting a bit of water (tablespoon or so) on the bottom of the pan and covering with a lid does wonders. The steam helps cook the top of the whites/yolk while still maintaining the yolk’s runniness.
Works every time.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I do the same. Low heat, lid, quick flip just as there is only a little bit of runny whites. This also help to keep the yolk together.

Low heat is also the trick for scrambled eggs. It keeps them from getting too rubbery.
I would like to cook at a lower heat, but when I drop the egg into the skillet, it sort spreads out, covering a lot of real estate in the pan. Problems ensue when two new eggs run into each other.

There was a fantastic New Yorker article from years gone past, about the author's quest to become a Las Vegas eggman. Never knew there was such a clearly defined hierarchy in the fried egg world.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
My dad liked fried egg sandwiches with pepper and mayonnaise and I do too.
I like eggs fried hard. I won't order fried eggs in restaurants anymore UNLESS I want them runny--and that's how they will be even if I say I want them fried hard--but that's not when I'm having a sandwich, that's the occasional brunch with grits and bacon and toast.
My dad called this a Denver sandwich. Longtime favorite of mine.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I put the whole unbroken yoke in my mouth. It is a real yoke rush of richness and it leaves the plate relatively clean. First I eat as much of the egg white as I can without breaking the yoke. Then I carefully get the yoke on the fork without breaking the yoke. Party on.

That's brilliant. I'm going to give your method a go.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted

My wife cooks em like this, and they come out great.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
OP, what you describe is what my siblings and I grew up eating, we've always called them Flat Eggs ... and it was a competitive art form, of course ha.

Doctor of Teleocity
My Mom could do eggs over easy perfect.

I used to do the Rocky raw eggs in a glass thing, drank well water, etc. Must’ve helped my immune system, but I don’t take chances with food temperature anymore.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Yep, side 2 takes much less time.

Right after I flip 'em I turn the heat off on the burner and ready the plate with whatever else I have ready - toast, sausage, etc.