Votes: 43 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Like it or not. I remember as kids we would cut it with milk
to make it last longer. Some folks in their 30s have never had it.
I guess it is like the smell of cinnamon and Christmas trees.
Seasonal disorder I guess. lol

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
We're most fond of a regional dairy operation's organic version that doesn't have a fake or medicinal factor in the taste or aroma, and we cut it with leaner milk because it is very caloric and like the more subtle flavoring when it's not home made.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yeah, think there is tremendous differences in eggnog quality.

Don't care for the cheap grocery store brand stuff.

Our Whole Foods (pre-Amazon) had the best eggnog I have ever had. I don't remember the brand but came in a glass bottle you could return for a deposit. Have never seen it since.

Some liquor manufacturers (Beam, Daniels) actually put their name on some decent eggnog.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
May have pretended to like it as a kid.
Now, it's just too thick/rich, definitely need to cut it with 2% milk- but we never buy eggnog, don't come into contact with it. So not an issue, just my opinion.

Much prefer Bailey's ( or another) Irish Cream! ( or if no alcohol, a good vanilla ice cream, melted)

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I prefer Coquito
Similar but better. I’ve go start collecting empty liquor bottles. I’ll make a smaller batch this year. Many folks have left island so I’ll probably only do 6-8 bottles to give away plus 2-3 for us
I’ll post the recipe later if anyone is interested

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
We're most fond of a regional dairy operation's organic version that doesn't have a fake or medicinal factor in the taste or aroma, and we cut it with leaner milk because it is very caloric and like the more subtle flavoring when it's not home made.

Sassy Cow?
I cut it with a little bit of appleton rum.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My daughter likes egg nog a lot, but doesn't want to drink empty calories like that. We found "Holiday Nog" that is made from almond milk. It's only about 10 carbs per 8 oz serving, and the taste is similar. We buy that for the effect without the effect.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I grew up with it as a kid and loved it. My parents would have friends over, pour whisky in it and drink ‘til it was gone, pile into cars, and go out to dinner. I drank what was left in one of the ladies glasses once and it made me sick. Now, with four brand new stents, it’d probably kill me.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Sassy Cow?
I cut it with a little bit of appleton rum.

My wife likes that and the one from the big coop in western part of the state. Where I work was one of if not first Sassy Cow retailers. They've really grown and I haven't seen the family members in our conf room for a while.

I admit bias here. Where I work specializes in retailing food or commercial and ghost kitchens using food produced close by but in most cases it's also superior product or product, keeping local economy strong, and less resource use getting food to market.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Non - alcoholic ?

Oyyyy…

Then my mind starts trying to fill in the blanks and it goes to flan (which is often thought of as Spanish) , so then I wildly leap to tres leche cake (which is Mexican and which I enjoy much more than the two previous…)

But , somebody mentioned French toast and well, you see where all this goes.

In a wild year I’ll have maybe 100 alcoholic drinks total in 365 days .

So if there’s no rum/whiskey/brandy in egg nog ?

It ceases to exist.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Like it or not. I remember as kids we would cut it with milk
to make it last longer. Some folks in their 30s have never had it.
I guess it is like the smell of cinnamon and Christmas trees.
Seasonal disorder I guess. lol
My grandmother used to make eggnog around Christmas.....two batches, "with and without". (Bourbon) Several years ago, I tried store-bought eggnog with Brandy instead of Bourbon or whiskey, and it's GREAT. But like mentioned, has a BUNCH of calories. If I can find a quart rather than a half gallon, I might pick some up. Brings back fond memories. ;););)

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Eggnog+bourbon+sun porch is how I survive Christmas day at my sisters place.

My brother-in-law’s sister can not leave the politics at home. At some point during the day, she’ll pull out a guitar and start singing Christmas carols with the lyrics changed to political references. When the guitar comes out, me and the nog are porch bound.