Effects loop - To do or not to do?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by summer_69, May 25, 2015.

1. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

Hi.

For a moment I thought that I could simplify my rig to just a Peavey Bandit with foot switch a Zoom MS50G and a Tele. I was thinking Footswitch is 2 switches on/off, i.e. 4 possibilities:

• Clean channel alone
    • Clean channel + some effect from the Zoom
    • Lead channel alone
    • Lead channel + some effect from the Zoom
    I would have to limit myself to these four combinations but I could essentially stuff everything into the cabinet of the Bandit so during setup I would just need to connect power, pull out the footswitch and connect the Tele to the input. But - during the test I found that the result is quite noisy with a lot of base (idle) noise compared to having the same combination of effects in the signal path between the guitar and the input jack of the amp. This noise is especially audible when an OD kind of effect is in the effect chain of the Zoom. Disappointed I looked at the diagram for the Bandit:

[​IMG]

It seems that the Effects Loop is after the the preamplifier attenuation stage so what ever comes back from the effects loop will receive maximum gain in the output stage. Clearly when the effect is in the signal path between the guitar and the input jack this noise will be attenuated in the preamp (unless I play at full volume).

Have any of you any good work-around or modification to the amp to solve this or is the idea just bad from the start. If the latter - what is the purpose of an effects loop if not for this kind of use?

Thanks for reading and for any comments.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Try cranking up the post-preamp volume on the amp and bringing the overall output down at the back end of the Zoom. This will give the Zoom a hotter signal (with a much lower noise floor) to work with, and should help considerably with your noise problem.

3. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

That effect loop is for line level rack effects rather than instrument level floor boxes, so if the zoom has line level in/outs those may work better in the effect loop of the Bandit.

4. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

I realise that my plan was not that good afterall. Thanks Frodebro and Cleeve.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.