1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Effects loop in an 800 Micro?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by rischakt, Apr 21, 2021.

1. rischakt

rischakt TDPRI Member

Hello, first post.

I am about to start a 1W 800 micro build. Yup, this is my first amp build but I am making sure to get well educated so I don't electrocute myself. I have built a couple pedal kits. Anyhow, I was wanting to add an effects loop to the build. Has this been done before? Looking for a bit of guidance/suggestions. Thanks.

2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I would place it after the attenuator between Preamp 2 and Preamp 3. Splice the two jacks into the V2A grid wire (pin2). Use the Bassman Micro layout for the actual wiring of the two jacks.

[​IMG]

rischakt likes this.
  3. rischakt

rischakt TDPRI Member

Sounds like a plan! Thank you for the help.

4. NSB_Chris

NSB_Chris Tele-Meister

Why wouldn't you want the effects loop to take off after the DC coupled cathode follower? The magic distortion happens between preamp 2 and 3 and most want the time based effects after the distortion happens. Also, the cathode follower is well suited to driving the cables for the effects loop. Is the justification because the passive effects loop return going into the tone stack would not work well or because after the signal sucking tone stack, the passive effects loop would not perform well? Just curious!

rischakt likes this.
  5. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

NSB_Chris is right. I freakin' forgot about the cathode follower. I would try between the treble wiper and the master volume or between the master volume and the .022 coupling cap if you want to use the master volume as a send level control.

rischakt likes this.
  6. rischakt

rischakt TDPRI Member

Thank you for the update gentlemen.

7. Badside

Badside Tele-Holic

I've built a few 2204s, loop always goes between Treble and Volume: you want it as late as possible so the post loop signal remains as clean as possible, and I prefer Volume after: easier to control volume when using it as a preamp in for an external preamp, and less noisy since you're not feeding your pedals straight into a wide open power amp.

If you want an active one so you don't get impedance issues (aka treble loss aka tone suck), Headfirst sells a PCB for a Friedman style for just 10$. My last build has one, works just like the Metro one. Held by the two jacks, just needs a B+ feed off the PI node and ground connection of course. Easy to add a bypass switch.

If it's passive, possibly the signal might be too strong if you put it before the MV, if you notice ugly distortion you can try moving post Volume.

rischakt and robrob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.