Effects Loop and Current Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by EuroBailey, Feb 2, 2019.

1. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Ok, looking for some assistance here and would appreciate any help to better understand the following.
    Hopefully what i am asking makes sense!

SOOO, I have a pedalboard set up. On that board i have an input and output as part of the board.
    When i set this up, i was just using a little vox ac4 which didnt have an effects loop.

My newish amp does have an effects loop and I'm keen to explore using that with my current pedal board.

Firstly I don't want to have two separate board (one for the front of amp) and one for the effects loop.

What i do understand is that my drive/fuzz pedals should go into the front of the amp and that my modulations, reverb delays should sit in the effects loop. My questions is what is the most efficient way to wire this, given the way my current board is wired up etc.

I know i could just go last drive pedal into the amp input?? Modulation and delay / reverb into the send receive on the effects loop - but i am unsure how this works on a pedalboard that is already wired up?

My Current Set up

Pedalboard Input > Compressor > Fuzz 1 > fuzz 2 > Overdrive (switch 1) > Chorus (switch 2) > Flanger (switch 3) > Delay (switch 4) > Reverb (switch 5) > pedalboard output.

Can i still use the main inputs / out puts on the pedalboard? Is there some kind of switcher or similar that I need that would sit between the last pedal going into the front of the amp and and the first going into the effects loop?

I hope what i have written is clear! i am finding it difficult to express myself explaining this!

Appreciate any help or articles that might help.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I have my pedals in two rows.

Basically compressor, tremolo dirt 1, dirt 2 are at the bottom row. Guitar goes in and goes to the amp input.

Second row is delay chorus, phase, reverb and a clean boost. These are in the FX loop.

If I go pedals only I simply replug cable that connects the two rows.

In your setup, plug in normal.

Take the output from the overdrive (switch 1) to the amp input.

Take the fx loop out and put it into the Chorus input

Take the pedal board output and connect to fx return.

wulfenganck and EuroBailey like this.
  3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

EuroBailey and littlebadboy like this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have an FX loop and I originally stuck the FX loop pedals on top and the input pedals on the bottom.

A few months ago I bought more flexible patch cables and now I’ve got them arranged in a more complex way. There are some pedals in the loop you may want on the bottom row of the board so they’re easier to access. For me I have a beat buddy and a ditto looper in my FX loop. It’s really hard to hit those 2 on the beat if they’re in the top row or crowded by other pedals.

I’ve found a lot of the rules about what goes in the loop should sometimes be broken for creative reasons.

My other preference is that I try to arrange things so that any pedal that gets the guitar input, fx send, return, or amp input cable plugged into it is on the edge of the board so those long cables aren’t draped over pedals. It makes it quick to set up or tear down.

If you’re getting really fancy you can buy one of those patch bay things to move all your jacks to the amp to the back of the board. Those make it really easy to use a little cable to jumper the fx loop and input chain back together if you need to use a different amp with no fix loop. Those seem to require consideration from the start though as they seem to have to be built to fit your board.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Great thread, I recently purchased a Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25 and am also experimenting with the effects loop. Subscribed...

6. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I’m in, too. Just got my first pedal yesterday. Looking forward to having more and experimenting with placement combinations, both in front and in the effects loop of my Orange 35RT. I’ve read a lot about it. Some people put modulation up front, rather than in the loop like sparky’s photo. For example:
    [​IMG]

Then there’s the whole order of effects thing. Like if you want Zakk Wylde, put the delay in front of the chorus. If you want Van Halen, get your delay in front of your flanger. That type of thing.

7. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I do the same. I might get a looping switch set up some day, for more options. But I don't gig, my setup is mostly for me to have fun.

My main reason for the effects loop is to use my amps overdrive, but I have not been using it much these days.

8. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Thanks Guitar Tech! that makes a lot of sense and makes it sound actually pretty simple. Seems like it will make my set up a little messier unfortunately!
    Because I have some old school pedals (electric mistress, real tube and ehx polychorus) this makes setting them up difficult because a) they take up a lot of space and b) two of these pedals have to run on mains power! however regardless, the rest of it makes sense and I'm going to give that a crack.

9. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I'm kind of with you when it comes to the "rules" of pedal organisation and the whole tap-dancing.....
    I tried out different positions - I'm now stuck with the most prominent (guitar - octaver - wah - overdrive -amp input; modulation - delay - reverb/trem in the effects-loop.
    But you need to try it, I like to have the trem after reverb, others like it differently.

I also have all the pedals in a certain position after trying out how to reach them best (therefore the spacing between pedals, the Raster siotting slightly back and of course the Mooer Candy Toppers on some of the siwtches). I'm doing quite a bit of singing and have to make sure I can hit the pedals without looking.

But there nothing "fancy" about buying a patchbox. It doesn't cost much and it's money well spent - one of the best investions I made after collecting more than 3 pedals and putting them on a board.
    I still have 4 cables (amp input, effects send/return, channelswitch) running between board and amp, but it takes me less than a minute to connect everything on stage. I highly recommend it!

September2018.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.