Effects IN the guitar?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by oceanblue, Nov 19, 2019.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

So for you tech savvy builders, it is actually possible to add an effect, say reverb (or any other effect), directly into the guitar? Perhaps after tone/volume, in the signal chain in the guitar, before going to output, having a reverb (or whatever) knob to adjust? Has it ever been done? Can it? If it can't, why?

2. glenlivet

glenlivet TDPRI Member

Can it be done.....yes. I *believe* GFS makes some active electronics to fit inside a guitar cavity.

*should* it be done .....probably not.

All the effects require some sort of power...ie: batteries.
    When do batteries die ? .... when you need them the most.

It's been done/tried before....and as far as I know the general consensus is..... it works like s****.

But hey.....give it a try ! What's the worst that could happen ??

3. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Your battery dies during the biggest show of your lifetime, opening for your favorite band....

or at band rehearsal. Whichever...

crazydave911 and Moriarty like this.
  4. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Sure, companies have tried do to that in the past. Electra did it in the late seventies, danelectro did in the nineties.

what I would say is that you better be darn sure it’s a sound you’re happy with cause it’s more work to change than just swapping a pedal. AND the idea would be best suited to fuzzes and overdrives that don’t need a lot of juice to run. Throwing a delay, reverb or modulation would just burn through batteries faster than you could recharge (or heaven forbid replace) them.

I suppose you could look into some kind of lithium battery, like a phone or a computer, but it would probably add a decent amount of weight to have one that would make it worthwhile.

5. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I doubt I'll be doing it with any build myself, I was just curious. Knowing it can be done, I'm surprised some overseas builders doesn't make one with a few effects, but maybe too small a market for it.
    I also wasn't sure of the size of the electronic/computer board/component that actually does the effect either.

I guess seeing amps with a bazillion effects, seemed reasonable to put one or two common ones, directly into a guitar body, to play through a nice clean amp of choice. At least would allow you to easily adjust those two effects right on the guitar as you play.

As for battery, doesn't any guitar or bass that is not passive have the same issues?

6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

You’d also want to change the jack wiring to cut the ground to the effect when a jack isn’t plugged in so that it isn’t using battery all the time.

tubelectron and nojazzhere like this.
  7. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Interesting points, and appreciate the input. I wasn't aware of the varied differences in power usage from pedal to pedal depending on effect. I suppose for changing effects, a module design that could easily be swapped would be the ticket, as opposed to soldering in new electronics for a change.

8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Here's one with built in effects; portable, self-contained when you want/need it to be and has a chargeable battery rather than replacements. Not wood, either, but that's a different subject. It actually sounds really nice.

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's been done ... Guitarists like to stick to tradition, so they didn't buy it ...

Steveinthesticks and matmosphere like this.
  10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

The old Vox teardrop shaped guitars had some effects in them.

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

no different than an active preamp. I wouldn't put a reverb, delay, or modulation type effect because they burn up 9v like nothing but I've put lpb, stratoblaster, and sho in a guitar. I usually install a push/pull so they can be true bypassed... in case I don't want them on or the battery dies. lately I've been designing pcbs that mount on a push/pull... sort of makes it more modular. think I posted a pdf of one on here, and if not def at projectguitar.com in case you want to have a look.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Fernandes Vertigo FX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...and a Line6 Variax
    upload_2019-11-19_9-0-1.jpeg

...and an Ibanez Kaoss Pad RGKP6 guitar
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The Epiphone Slasher FX had chorus and distortion built in. Yup, 9 volt battery. IMG_4169.JPG

nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  14. blowtorch

Also my First Act VW Garagemaster has a built-in boost
    [​IMG]

Macrogats, matmosphere and nojazzhere like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

All the comments so far make sense, but the reason onboard effects never appealed to me is that it might not be the right effect for you. How many DIFFERENT overdrives, choruses, fuzzes, etc. pedals are on the market? And everyone of them have their fans. It just doesn't make sense to limit yourself to what a guitar maker decides you get to use. Many of us here are always changing pickups, bridges, even necks on our guitars. Changing an effects pedal is "easy-peasy".......;)

cyclopean likes this.
  16. blowtorch

I've always wanted one of these danoblasters, with built-in fx

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

In the late '70's in College, a buddy brought over ( to my apt.) A '60's VOX Hollowbody ( kind of like a full hollow 335 size, bolt on neck ) for me to check out.

It had effects slide switches ( maybe small knobs too) around the perimeter of the guitar's top ( some may have been paired with different settings, some just ON/OFF:

FUZZ
    TREMOLO/ REPEATS
    ECHO/DELAY
    ' E NOTE' TUNER - ( produces an audible E note thru amp, so you can tune up!)
    Bigsby style Whammy

AND a spring loaded ( heart shaped lever) palm bar near bridge you pushed on to activate a WAH-WAH filter!

** I barely knew how to play then, I could have garagey fun with this guitar now!

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

In the '70s, Electra had an epic crash and burn with the MPC line for all the reasons mentioned above.

[​IMG]

Bob

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have this Kay Effector guitar. The effects need a little work.

303.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Brian J. and crazydave911 like this.
  20. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

The Godwin Guitorgan was a big jazzbox type of guitar with an organ built into it. Yes, it weighs about 20 pounds. Look:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.