EF80 Micro ???

TonyTele63

NEW MEMBER!
I've been interested in building an EF 80 Micro amp for a few months now and in an overkill moment I ordered five (yes five!) Antec AS-05T200's from the US. The first of these will be used in a EF80 Micro Champ project as this seems like a good place to start my amp building learning curve. I'm also interested in building EF80 Micro Bassman at some point so thought I would order the parts for both at the same time but after this I still have three PT's. What other amp projects would you recommend to use these on?

I'll be building both of these projects as heads (I'm a sheet metal worker so have a couple of ideas about the housing) and I'll need a speaker cabinet. Are there any good sites/reading on building a 1x12? It'd be nice if I could build something that would handle a higher wattage amp (max 20 watt-ish) just incase I get the bug and build something for outside the house.

Thanks for any advice
PXL_20220420_150050854.jpg
PXL_20220420_150122848.jpg

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Always interested in these EF80 Micros, especially with toroid PT. Share everything you learn!!!

SerpentRuss

Tele-Holic
5 of them? Hmmm...OK, LOL

You're looking at a max of ~260 volts with a solid state rectifier and light loading. I have one of these in a 4-watt amp with a 6P1P (Russian 9-pin 6v6-ish) single-ended output. It sounds pretty good but's not crystal clean. If you've ever studied the lines on tubes with a reactive load, you'll find that running a lower voltage often puts you in a range of operation that yields a bit more harmonic distortion.

If it were me, I might have purchased a voltage assortment in that 50 VA size. That said, there are likely a lot of small projects this size PT would be good for. I would think a nice Champ-ish build would be a candidate. Maybe something like a Harvard with 6AK6 output valves. Projects with push-pull architecture will have less expensive output transformers.

EDIT: Just realized you're in the UK, so you'll be wiring to 230, correct?

Last edited:

pavel

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
Sorry, don't have advice on cab building specific to an EF80 micro -- I am close to start on a micro JCM800 EF80 and was going to stay small, perhaps try an 8" Celestion.

I do want to add a AC voltage switch to my build though, because even though I am US based, you know, one of these days I'll be touring for sure, I'll be traveling the world and need all the configurations, right? :)

I'll be using one of these Voltage Selector, but I'll only wire the 110V and 220V or perhaps make the 220V and 230V setting be the same because the PT doesn't have a separate winding for the 10V difference.

I'd be curious how the Antec is working out for you with 230VAC.

TonyTele63

NEW MEMBER!
Just realized you're in the UK, so you'll be wiring to 230, correct?

That is correct

5 of them? Hmmm...OK, LOL

You're looking at a max of ~260 volts with a solid state rectifier and light loading. I have one of these in a 4-watt amp with a 6P1P (Russian 9-pin 6v6-ish) single-ended output. It sounds pretty good but's not crystal clean. If you've ever studied the lines on tubes with a reactive load, you'll find that running a lower voltage often puts you in a range of operation that yields a bit more harmonic distortion.

If it were me, I might have purchased a voltage assortment in that 50 VA size. That said, there are likely a lot of small projects this size PT would be good for. I would think a nice Champ-ish build would be a candidate. Maybe something like a Harvard with 6AK6 output valves. Projects with push-pull architecture will have less expensive output transformers.

EDIT: Just realized you're in the UK, so you'll be wiring to 230, correct?