Eduard Khil's birthday - questionable fame

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Sep 4, 2017.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Mr. Khil is famous around the world for this:

Could you handle that kind of fame?

2. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

he related to Lurch..?

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I see Google is honouring him. Hard to believe he's 83.

4. kelnet

Well, he died in 2012, so he didn't reach 83.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm going to buy his greatest hits CD.

6. kelnet

Fame seems to be an important goal these days, from reality shows to viral tweets. Would you rather be completely anonymous all of your life, or be famous for doing something like the Trololo song?

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

All forms of music are weird if you're from a different culture, and the music of 50 years ago often seems hopelessly weird. The other day I showed my daughter clips of the lawrence welk show, which even when I was a kid was strange and corny. She cracked up. Apparently this guy spoke to something important in the Russian zeitgeist

tro lolo lo lo lololo lololo

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks, I'm getting some inspired ideas for my next song from that.;)

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Just a few selected quotes from Wiki:

With his family breaking up, he was brought up by his mother. During the Great Patriotic War (WWII Eastern Front), his kindergarten was bombed and he was separated from his mother and evacuated to Bekovo, Penza Oblast where he ended up in a children's home, which lacked basic facilities and needs, including food. Despite the desperate situation, Khil regularly performed in front of wounded soldiers in the nearby hospital.[2] He was reunited with his mother in 1943 when Smolensk was liberated from **** Germany and in 1949 moved to Leningrad, where he enrolled and then graduated from printing college.[2] In 1955, Khil enrolled in the Leningrad Conservatory, where he studied under direction of Yevgeny Olkhovsky and Zoya Lodyi. He graduated in 1960.[2] During his studies, he began performing various lead operatic roles, including Figaro in The Marriage of Figaro.[2]

Khil toured in over 80 countries[2] and lived at Tolstoy House (Толстовский дом) in St. Petersburg.[6]

After his singing career faded in the early 1990s, Khil re-entered private life and worked in a cafe in Paris, singing cabaret. Starting in 1997, Khil was involved with his son in a joint project with the rock group Prepinaki.

In July 1958, Khil met his future wife, the ballerina Zoya Pravdina, while performing alongside her at the Leningrad Conservatory. During the summer and fall, they toured together, and quickly began a romantic relationship. They were married on 1 December 1958, and stayed married until his death in 2012.[5][7]

I'm not convinced anyone gets to selectively choose the terms and conditions of fame or anonymity.

Citizen Khil's recent notoriety was entirely out of context, yet funny in the snarky kind of cultural materialism that becomes kind of unattractive, without seeing a larger picture. IMO. I mean, you might at least have some comradeship with a fellow who grew up in a oblast with a beaver on the flag?

elihu likes this.
  10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd like to meet the librettist for that number.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.