1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eddie Van Halen + Jan Hammer + Tony Levin + Bill Bruford, Les Paul Tribute Show, Aug 18th 1988

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Apr 10, 2021.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

2. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

That is a fun video. Not Bill Bruford, though. I’m pretty sure Rick Marotta was the drummer on that.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That same night, Bon Jovi held a listening party for their 'New Jersey' album at Roseland Ballroom. I was friends with a few members of their crew so I got an invite.

We hung out for a while, and BJ's tour manager buttonholed me and a couple of other friends. The after-party for the Les tribute was happening a block or so away at the Hard Rock, and he had a walk-in invite. We walked over, and the big topic of conversation was that EVH was at the tribute and we were all hoping that he'd show at the after party.

It didn't happen, but the after party was still pretty cool. We walked in and the Stray Cats were the entertainment, and I saw David Gilmour on the dance floor with a Budweiser in each hand, kind of dancing. I ended up talking to him for a while, asking him geeky questions about his 001 Strat. He put up with me and actually talked about the Strat for a while.

The highlight of that night was when I was trying to find the men's room, and I walked around the corner and literally walked into the middle of a conversation between Lester himself and BB King.

I don't usually get starstruck, but I was pretty speechless to be standing inches away from two legends. I put my hand out to BB and said some kind of hello. BB was gracious as could be, shook my hand, asked my name, asked if I played guitar. I said I did, and he told me to keep playing because the world needed more guitar players.

Les was tight-lipped, he looked like he wanted to go home. To be fair, it was pretty late and he had a long day. Still a pretty cool memory.

- D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    JeffBlue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.