1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

EDDIE VAN HALEN DEAD AT 65

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike M, Oct 6, 2020.

1. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters TDPRI Member

I was just a small kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old, when I first saw the video for Hot For Teacher on MTV. I remember seeing Eddie playing his solo while walking on the tables in library and thinking 'that is the coolest guy on the planet playing the coolest possible solo on the coolest looking guitar.' That moment pretty much started my obsession with electric guitar. Soon after my grandma bought me a Mickey Mouse plastic toy guitar from Target as a gift and I immediately covered it in my dad's black, white, and red electrical tape. I begged for 1984 for my birthday and ended up getting Van Halen I instead (I was disappointed at the time but to this day VH1 is my favorite album by Van Halen).

My musical tastes have evolved and changed quite a bit since that time...and I never could shred, tap, or dive bomb even close to an acceptable level (when I started playing seriously I was more focused on blues, country, and jazz), but I've always loved Van Halen and Eddie's playing in particular. There never seems to be enough volume on the stereo when Panama, Drop Dead Legs, Unchained, Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, or countless other songs of theirs come on. I feel very fortunate that I got to see him live with both DLR and Sammy incarnations.

Thanks for the inspiration, Eddie - RIP.

2. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

They have always referred to it as throat cancer, not lung cancer. I am not surprised that is the case but I have never heard lung cancer called out

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Eddie was pretty quiet about his condition in recent times, so it's not really surprising that it was more than what the public was aware of. It probably had spread.

4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I was lucky enough to see Eddie on Van Halen's 1st tour when they came in to town.

They opened for Black Sabbath on November 22, 1978.

I was TOTALLY blown away by his playing that night.

Up until that time, I'd NEVER EVER seen anyone run and jump around on stage the whole set while playing mind boggling licks on a guitar.

When he did Eruption, I thought it was some type of guitar magic.

I was at the right place at the right time that night, as I was able to get one of his picks that he threw into the audience during the show.

He and Randy Rhoads were my 2 main influences when I started playing in rock bands in the early 80's.

Getting to see Eddie and Randy perform up close was a huge inspiration to me as a guitar player.

I was also lucky to have Randy hand me the only guitar he gave out the night I saw him with Ozzy back in 1982

Randy's pick is the Fender Med Tort pick in the plastic bag to the right of Eddie's pick.

Here's a pic of Eddie that night on stage on Nov. 22, '78.

There's a possibility,though very small, that the pick he's using in this pic, is the very one I have in my possession. I guess I'll never know, but it's possible.

RIP Eddie!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Macrogats, drmordo, Fendarr and 8 others like this.
  5. Tom Coyle

Tom Coyle Tele-Meister

My other Van Halen story:

So it's February 1978. I was 14 1/2. I had a very good friend named Bob. Bob was a night owl. He did not like to get up before 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Consequently, he would hear all the "new" bands that they played only between 12 a.m. and 5 a.m., that most people did not hear on the radio.

One day, I finally rousted him out of bed at 3:00 p.m., and he told me he had bought a record of a new band he had heard of. It was a band called "Van Halen." From the moment I heard the first side, I was hooked. I had been playing guitar for about a year and a half, and this guy was unlike any other I had heard.

A month or two later, they were coming to Detroit at a small 3,000 seat venue. We got tickets. Bob had just recently turned 16, and he drove us down to the concert in his mom's '78 Buick. We had 3 bottles of wine and some weed. (I had the third wine bottle in my crotch when I went in like I was a stud. Ha!) I drank most of my bottle on the way down. Being young and dumb, we ignored most directions and found ourselves parked in the back of The Masonic Temple parking lot, where nobody else was parked for some reason. Probably because we weren't supposed to be there. But we smoked some weed and I finished my bottle of wine.

We went to go in what turned out to be rear stage door entrances. I had just pulled the door open, and about that time a limo pulled up. 4 dudes got out and went to the other stage doors about 10 feet away from ours. I stood there stoned and dumfounded as a 14 year old, and after they went in I brilliantly [​IMG] said to Bob, " That was Van Halen!." So we went in, and proceeded to smoke some more weed with the people next to us. By the time the warmup band started playing, I was too stoned.

We were up in balcony seating. As I headed for the bathroom, I was worried about falling down the stairs and going over the upper floor railing in my unstable condition. So I sat down on my ass, and scooted down the steps one at a time until I got to the isle way that lead me off the balcony to the restroom area. Now at the restroom, I seemed to be in dire straits. I felt as though I would puke at any moment, but every line for a urinal or toilet was 10 guys long. So I got in line, but feared I would not last. After a moment or two, an older guy, a Savior and a Good Samaritan, apparently recognized my condition, grabbed me by the shirt collar, pushed everyone else out of the way and thrust me to the front of the line in front of EVERYONE else and said, "This kid needs the urinal, NOW! No sooner had he placed me there than I proceeded to barf for 5 or 10 minutes straight. (Thank You good Samaritan Dude, whoever you were.) (He probably saved me from getting my ass beat for puking all over everyone nearby.)

So now off to try and find Bob. I searched for a while, and then saw the spotlights reflecting off of Bob's Coke Bottle glasses way up in the stands. "Bob!" I proclaimed. I climbed the mountain and took my seat where Bob began to tell me of the laughter that ensued when I had had left. "You were scooting down the stairs on your ass and everyone was laughing, he said with a laugh." I know. But I was safe. And now there were two Eddie Van Halen's on the stage. And I vowed to never again go to a concert too stoned to watch the performers play, and I never did.

Tom

Kentelecaster, NigeG, dburns and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

In 1978 (i was 15) i bought my first four albums:

- Van Halen I
    - Ramones - Rocket To Russia
    - Sex Pistols, Never Mind The Bollocks
    - Kiss Alive I

All of them changed my life.

One year later i played in a punk band with a leather jacket (Ramones),
    spiked hair (Sex Pistols) and a black 1976 Gibson Explorer (Kiss influence).
    I sprayed neon green Eddie Van Halen stripes on it and my mother nearly killed me, because it was a brand new Gibson.

:)

7. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

He was the guy with the incurable grin. Just thinking of how many really good songs he had is mind boggling. RIP Eddie.

8. Audiotrove

Audiotrove TDPRI Member

IMG_5303.jpg

NigeG likes this.
  9. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

CB2E3812-3120-4CCC-AD18-C3815867730B.jpeg
    Perspective!

Enjoying the stories, definitely jealous of you guys who saw them in the early days.

XTRXTR, 68tele, Kentelecaster and 2 others like this.
  10. NigeG

NigeG Tele-Meister

I’ve enjoyed reading the Van Halen recollections that you guys have been posting. It’s helped brighten up how dreary I’ve been feeling since the news of Eddie passing away. I’m sure I’m not alone with these feelings, hell I’ve seen other people comment in much the same way. I never met the guy yet I feel real sadness. Almost to the point of tears. I cannot say he influenced me as a guitar player cos I suck and only actually started playing during lock down. This is not normal for me. My Wife says I rarely show much emotion yet here I am getting quite choked by it all.

I’m trying to rationalise it and concluded timing was everything. Points in my life where VH were important.

1978 I was 16. I’d just left school. I’d got the debut album and they were the support act to Black Sabbath. Up and coming new kids with an amazing guitar player vs tired old Sabbath with a washed up Ozzy. Only one winner!

1984. Monsters of Rock, Donington Park. VH hadn’t been to the UK for at least three years, maybe four. Or even five. Support act to AC/DC. Huge amount of fans wearing VH tee shirts. The band are now massive, obviously used to big venues. Dave’s got them in the palm of his hand. Never forget the line “If you don’t stop throwing stuff, I’m going to come down there and **** your girlfriend “ hilarious! Follow that Brain Johnson. VH best band on the day by a long way.

1986. Break up of long term relationship just after 5150 released. Played it to death on the new fangled CD player. Why can’t this be love - tortured myself for days.

1993. After a few dalliances shall we say got a hot new lady who bought us tickets to see VH at one of a handful of UK gigs, complete surprise. No idea how she got them.

1995. Hot new lady is now my Wife and now she’s pregnant. Van Halen are back in the UK but as support act to Bon Jovi WTF? Sheffield Don Valley Stadium in the Summer. Was a great night. The apprentice trying to upstage the master. Sorry Ritchie without Eddie paving the way you’d probably not have been there.

There are many bands I’ve seen many more times than VH, Big Country and Def Leppard especially yet I don’t feel the same as I did when I heard the sad news of Stuart Adamson or Steve Clark passing away. Maybe it’s now I’ve started to play guitar I get it?

El Tele Lobo, drmordo and black_doug like this.
  11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Nice tribute by Jack White on SNL yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  12. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

and technically masterful ... How many others were equal in all these ways?

koen likes this.
  13. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can think of only one...

[​IMG]

14. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I think you may have meant "There can be only one"

15. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

For the first time, today I fired up "1984" for my 6 and 9 year old kids while we cleaned the living room.

They've heard a lot of rock (they love The Beatles), but my wife doesn't like VH so I never play it when she's around. However, since she told me she wants a divorce last week, I figured it is time for the kids to hear one of my favorite records.

Like I have never seen, they danced and rocked around the living room playing air guitar while they cleaned. My youngest even tried to sing along with the backing vocals, despite having no idea how the song went.

I cannot think of a better testament to Eddie and boys that two young kids connect to it on such a primal level.

NigeG, scottser and posttoastie like this.
  16. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

EXACTLY

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.