1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

EDDIE VAN HALEN DEAD AT 65

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike M, Oct 6, 2020.

1. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

EVH was a huge influence to me in taking up the guitar at a young age. I still remember my dad bringing home this exact guitar (Hondo Deluxe) secondhand from somewhere.

I knew next to nothing about anything at the time, but I knew that this guitar looked like Eddie’s and that’s all that really mattered. Can’t remember what happened to it, but thanks to EVH I’ve been hooked on the instrument ever since. DFB57C21-994E-4700-B269-AC83BD029D46.jpeg

ElJay370 and Omiewise65 like this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Weird how it surprised all of us... did anyone publicly know he was about to die, that his condition had worsened to that degree?

3. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

He changed the guitar industry by putting a humbucker in a strat.
    He created many unique sounds using effects and different approaches to playing.
    He popularized guitar virtuosity in rock music.
    He created an iconic design with a couple of cans of spray paint.
    He smiled when he played - made it look easy.
    If he had done only those things, he’d still be long remembered.
    BUT -
    He also wrote the songs.
    A lot of guys can shred, but only a few can write the songs.
    I wish I could have met you Edward. You made a tremendous impact on my life.

4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

RIP!

5. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Such a rare talent . Another great loss to the guitar world .

Tonetele likes this.
  6. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

He was an influence to my influences.

El Tele Lobo and Gaz_ like this.
  7. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sad News. RIP EVH. One of my guitar heroes, though not really an influence because I've never even considered being able to play his songs. A real highlight of the "Play It Loud" exhibit was seeing the Frankenstrat up close. It does not look like an instrument that would make good music. What a phenomenal player he was (though I never understood why one of the greatest guitarists ever was so insistent on dabbling as a mediocre keyboardist).

IMG_0023.jpg IMG_0024.jpg

El Tele Lobo and black_doug like this.
  8. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

jannodude likes this.
  9. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I didn’t know he was going to pass so soon but I remembered reading an article a few months about him going to Mclaren dealership and the article mentioning how his cancer is not improving..

10. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

I would say he’s the greatest electric guitarist ever. Great composer too. Hopefully this will inspire many to play more and smoke less.

NigeG, 3-Chord-Genius and richiek65 like this.
  11. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

The way he played, he always seemed so relaxed, effortless, and in total control of the instrument. Prince is the only other guitarist I’ve seen like that. He always looked like he was the happiest guy on earth when he played.

maggieo likes this.
  12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  13. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Devastating news.

the five rock guitarists who are a part of everyone else:

chuck

Eric

Pete

jimi

Eddie

there are others who are brilliant. Who were influential. Some may even have been better.

but they’re all in any rock players Recipe whether you know it or not.

vale Eddie.

heaven just got a whole lot louder. No ones complaining there.

Echo79 and richiek65 like this.
  14. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

R.I.P Eddie from me as well, that is what my Dad died of aged 64 through smoking also, i use to smoke cigars i packed it up then.

Yes he was a Great talent and player as well.

15. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I was going to write a post but yours said my exact thoughts.

Someone just sent me this, which I thought was fitting, forgive me if it's been posted already
    IMG_20201007_195126.gif

16. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

In March of 1978, I was driving back to college in Atlanta from Boston with a buddy. We left in the evening and he fell asleep at about 9PM. Sometime around midnight I was driving through Maryland and I found a radio station debuting a new album from a band called Van Halen in its entirety. The sound of that album was electrifying! I got to hear the whole thing before the station faded and didn't get sleepy until dawn, just crossing into North Carolina. Something totally new had arrived. Eddie was a major innovator.

El Tele Lobo, Esquire Jones and duzie like this.
  17. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

Mike M likes this.
  18. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Very sad, Van Halen were right there in real time during my formative years and were always the talk of my friends. His style was not mathmatical like Randy Rhoads; it was a zillion miles an hour but you could make out every note, never seemed to follow a scale or normal run and then the playing would suddenly be something very focused and melodic. Amazing. My appreciation his playing has only grown, as there simply is nothing else remotely similar.

I had a very out of the blue brief meeting once with Eddie Van Halen once in 1991. My band was setting up for a gig at the Palomino Club (which had been the premier country music club in North Hollywood in the 50s, then rock by the 70s/80s and gone now).

Before our set, the club manager told us someone else was going to play before us. EVH shows up along with a throw together band of LA studio musicians like Jeff Porcaro from Toto. The place was flash mob packed.

We went back to the little dressing room at some point during EVH's group's set. When his band finished he was chased into their dressing room with the groupies leading the charge. We can hear a ton of noise from that room of people partying. Then the door to our dressing room opens a crack. Eddie peaks in then comes in and closes the door, relieved to get away from the crowd. He sits on the sofa next to my brother and asks if we are in a band too.

Within 20 seconds someone else looks in and sees him and the crowd comes rushing in to continue the party. Two girls jump on his lap. When we went to the stage to set up we noticed more than one empty bottle of tequila.

A few minutes into our set EVH walks out, smiles and gives double thumbs up as he headed towards the bar. Most of the crowd followed him but I can rightly say that Eddie Van Halen opened for my band :)

__
    Reflecting on that event, one realizes from this that no matter how hard he may have tried to quit drugs and alcohol it was impossible in his situation because seemingly everyone wanted to bring him back into it. Everybody.

An enormous talent who worked so hard to make the songs the world knows forever.

RIP, and rip and shred in heaven.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  19. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good loud...

evh.jpg

NigeG, koen and dlew919 like this.
  20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Eddie says it better than anyone else can.

What a story and a nice man.

Nelg, NigeG, 68tele and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.