Eddie Durham 100th Anniversary Series

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by griole, May 29, 2014.

1. griole

griole Tele-Meister

I recently purchased a Guitar Research Eddie Durham JX17N, essentially a 17" jazzbox with a floating pickup. Guitar Research is one of Sam Ash's house brands. Back in 2006, Sam Ash did a limited run of these, as a tribute to Eddie Durham, one of the first electric players, in honor of what would have been his 100th birthday. There was the JX17, as described above, and the JX16, which is very similar in configuration and appearance to an ES-175.

Anybody else a fan of these guitars? I think they are pretty underrated, and provide a lot of bang for the buck. As a matter of fact, I'm still looking for a JX16 in red (the two color choices for the JX16 were red or gold). There is not a lot of information available about these on the internet. If you see a used one hanging in a store, check it out! You'll be surprised..............

2. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Pics or it didn't happen.:eek:

3. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There was an Eddie Durham on CL near me. I checked in with Griole and he said "go for it!"
    So I did.
    The headstock is massive.

image-1143623758.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

I saw that listing from here in Denver. It made me look up the make, etc. I couldn't tell much! I hope you can come back with a report on it soon - it's one of the few Eddie Durham threads going anywhere.

Greg

5. Ed in Italy

Ed in Italy TDPRI Member

I just picked up a gold lefty JX16 (ES-175 style) at a pawn shop for $450 (including gorgeous hard shell case). I haven't played it much 'cause I play strung righty so I have to install a righty nut. It will probably get a Bigsby trem, eventually. The true test will come when it gets its first gig.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    Mr. Durham was born and raised in San Marcos, a town about thirty miles south of Austin.

7. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I got to see Mr. Durham live in a small club back in the 70s. Doubling on Trombone and 12 string electric. That man could play!

8. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There is a Lefty Eddie Durham on eBay listed today. JX17 (no affliction). Sunburst.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.