Ed Bickerts 65 Tele - For Sale

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Allan key taped to the front and spare pick taped to the back. You're good to go!

bickert-tele-blonde-1965-cons-full-front-a.jpg

bickert-tele-blonde-1965-cons-full-rear-a.jpg

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I felt bad having to google him, but now I’m wondering how so many here know anything about a Canadian jazz guitar player?

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I began listening to jazz around 1979. At that time Ed was in The Moe Koffman Quintet. They had a weekly gig in Toronto, where I lived, and I went often to hear them. A little later I discovered The Twelfth Fret music store, where I took some lessons, and bought my current No. 1 Tele, and actually, most of the guitars I own.

Orpheum

Tele-Meister
Wow... A true working musician instrument.
Always loved Ed Bickert's playing, his fantastic harmonic skills and soulful soloing...
I find very touching to examine all the intimate details of this guitar.

RadioFM74

Friend of Leo's
I felt bad having to google him, but now I’m wondering how so many here know anything about a Canadian jazz guitar player?
Well, Ed was not "a Canadian jazz guitar player". He was one of the greatest jazz guitar players of all time, and in particular one of the most accomplished accompanists and chord melodists out there (witness his records with Paul Desmond). He achieved less fame with the general public than, say Joe Pass or Wes Montgomery, but was very well known to jazz aficionados.

Besides, there's a fun interview of him in his old age where he recalls how unusual a tele was for a jazz guitarist when he chose one as his instrument… he once was presented as "on the Fisher Price guitar, Ed Bickert!". He stuck to it nonetheless!

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member

He was always popping up in guitar magazines I bought but I’m a musician .

But even the most famous jazz guitarist in history is still far more obscure than your average underground rock band (way more people know who The Melvins are , than who Wes Montgomery was)

That’s where the problem lies - and the fact that the price is already in USD ! 🫠

Finding a rich guy/hedge fund manager/dental chain store owner who is a super fan into rock/blues/blooze-rock is easy.

Can’t turn over a flat rock without finding 6 of them - all with a vacant humidified glass case that needs filling.

Finding a rich yahoo jazz fanatic with a spare $44,211 CAD rolling around however - that might take awhile…🤔

Last edited:

greenhornet

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the post! Just great, I have been a fan of Eds ever since I heard Desmonds The Paul Desmond Quartet Live. Incredible player, if you're a fan of great guitar playing and Jazz in particular you know Ed. Ed was a WORLD class guitarist, period.

eddy b.

Tele-Meister
Man that price is low low low. It’s like selling the Arc of the Covenant for $50. I mean they’re asking Nissan Altima money….not even Z money. A sin and an outrage!!!! When you consider that some of the MOST beautiful jazz guitar music ever recorded was played through this instrument it becomes priceless or at least Ford F-150 Cummings Turbo Diesel money. This is gonna drive me nuts knowing that this guitar is for sale. If only I had the cash or the credit.

trandy9850

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
Well, Ed was not "a Canadian jazz guitar player". He was one of the greatest jazz guitar players of all time, and in particular one of the most accomplished accompanists and chord melodists out there (witness his records with Paul Desmond). He achieved less fame with the general public than, say Joe Pass or Wes Montgomery, but was very well known to jazz aficionados.

Besides, there's a fun interview of him in his old age where he recalls how unusual a tele was for a jazz guitarist when he chose one as his instrument… he once was presented as "on the Fisher Price guitar, Ed Bickert!". He stuck to it nonetheless!
My friend owned a record store back in the day….whenever I would stop by he would always let me know when anything new and cool was released…one day he told me about a new, live Paul Desmond album…bought it…listened to it and was mesmerized by the guitar player…I saw that his name was Ed Bickert…he had this big, fat tone and I envisioned him with a Gibson 175, or an L-5,etc….there were no photos of him or his guitar…but holy moley the guy’s playing was awesome.

Afew months later I saw a picture of the guy…and his guitar…you could have knocked me over with a feather…it was an old Telecaster….I learned a big lesson that day.

It ain’t the guitar….it’s the player.

RadioFM74

Friend of Leo's
My friend owned a record store back in the day….whenever I would stop by he would always let me know when anything new and cool was released…one day he told me about a new, live Paul Desmond album…bought it…listened to it and was mesmerized by the guitar player…I saw that his name was Ed Bickert…he had this big, fat tone and I envisioned him with a Gibson 175, or an L-5,etc….there were no photos of him or his guitar…but holy moley the guy’s playing was awesome.

Afew months later I saw a picture of the guy…and his guitar…you could have knocked me over with a feather…it was an old Telecaster….I learned a big lesson that day.

It ain’t the guitar….it’s the player.
It always is, yeah? I should go back to practicing ;D

Man that price is low low low. It’s like selling the Arc of the Covenant for $50. I mean they’re asking Nissan Altima money….not even Z money. A sin and an outrage!!!! When you consider that some of the MOST beautiful jazz guitar music ever recorded was played through this instrument it becomes priceless or at least Ford F-150 Cummings Turbo Diesel money. This is gonna drive me nuts knowing that this guitar is for sale. If only I had the cash or the credit.

The market is what it is, and I'm happy that whoever appreciates Ed Bickert enough to make the effort won't have to drain his finances. Might even be a jazz player!

The only thing I'm a little sad about in the whole story – and Ed was too in his wry humour way from the interview I've seen – is that Fender never considered doing even a one-off commemorative Ed Bickert tele, let alone an artist model. They've done artist models for people who, with due respect, were/are barely guitar players. I think it would have been good (and done good to the tele legacy they should care about) to honour such an incredible player who chose a tele as his instrument.

Never too late… maybe someone at Fender might read this. A small-scale project and a YT video would be great already.