Economic & good sounding & useful pedals - all types

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by brogh, Apr 9, 2020.

1. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Well, why don't we have a roundup on some Economic and useful pedals for beginners and not, what have you found around that is economic but at the same time works great, and does what it's supposed to do without going too steep in price ? say well under 80 bucks or so.

Post one pedal and tell us what you like and why I'll start

- Mooer hustle drive on my board since like 3/4 years now, I use it stacked it after the EHX soul food,
    - setting : low volume, drive at noon, lp engaged tone at 3:00
    - works great, quiet, gives me that little push i need from time to time.

What do you have in the pocket ?

Cheers

2. Jared macneill

Jared macneill Tele-Meister

I'm going to follow this thread

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Preacher likes this.
  3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Many seem to agree that the Joyo Ultimate Drive is a great sounding pedal which can be had for super cheap. I paid $17.00 for mine.

MyLittleEye, Preacher, dotbot and 2 others like this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Joyo American Sound has so far been a very useful amp simulator. It's not the best, but it makes very useable tone direct to board without using a DI.

Also the Biyang Tri Reverb is really nice. I'm not picky about reverb, I just want to have it available. So this is a great second verb pedal. Got quite a bit of range as well with the A/B switch and the Reverb type switch gives you lots of latitude to add a little fatness, or make it a modulating syrup dispenser.

reverb.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I humbly nominate the much-maligned Boss DS-1 Distortion. Yes, it can sound like crap, but with a little patience you can also make it sound great. They key is balancing how much dirt comes from the turning up the gain knob vs. how much comes from pushing the amp via the volume knob.

Used examples can easily be found for $20-$30.

It's also a fairly easy pedal to mod, so you can easily make it "better" (whatever that means to you) for a few bucks more and a little time.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The ehx soul food sounds like a Klon. I got mine for 60. A klon is worth 10000. Lovely transparent overdrive and a brilliant boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JuneauMike

This pedal is about $100+ new, about $80 used and it's amazing for what it does. Polyoctave pedals usually are way too expensive for what they are and how little they get used. In the genre of octave generators, this is a steal.

With the Toneprint app feature, this is a really adaptable addition to my pedal board. I doubt I'd ever run it by itself, more likely stack it on another pedal.

sub-n-up.jpg

The Toneprint Editor is also a very cool feature. Not only can you make new toneprint templates, but you can change the default setting of the pedal itself. And later return it to stock.

Grateful Ape, 4pickupguy and tah1962 like this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Digitech Obscura is a really cool delay with modes that emulate tape delay, analog and some others, with controls that let you exaggerate or tone down the different kinds of degradation the different types of delay can introduce across many repeats. It also has tap tempo and an option to have your repeats trail off after you've switched the pedal off, or cut them off abruptly.

Reverb has some for $70-$80.

OttoCorrect, beyer160 and tah1962 like this.
  9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Ehx soul food.
    Boss sd1.
    Donner boost killer

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  10. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Meister

Boss GE-7, use it with whatever you have and make it sound different. Great to make your lead tone cut through a dense band mix w/o killing everyone in the bar.

D_Malone, kookaburra and tah1962 like this.
  11. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Well the cheap one I like is my ehx hot tubes.

It's super useful and versatile because it does what the name says. It adds warmth. I usually play it always on in my roland cube 30 on the jc clean channel. It pimps my tone.

It is also super cute:
    [​IMG]

12. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I purchased my first pedals late last year, so prices are fairly current:

Joyo JF10 Compressor...does what one would think a compressor should...I use it always on...>$40.

The next pedals I'll mention (five) were bought new in box, but a dealer display set of five complete with display board, cords, and power supply...the Danelectro Billionare Pedalboard, includes: Billion Dollar Boost (clean boost and preamp with switchable low-cut filter...think Irish/Brit alt rockers); Pride of Texas OD (SRV blues/TS808/TS8 sound); Cash Cow (70s classic rock/blues sound); {{note that the aforementioned three pedals are stackablex2 if one is careful of the gain on Cash Cow}}...also Filthy Rich Tremelo (it is a good one) and Big Spender Spinning Speaker (a spinner/Leslie for the masses). Purchased new for $175 and tax...or $35 a pedal. A bargain in my book if there are more out there.

Finally, the NUX Horseman, a Klon Centaur clone...sounds great, has two "voices", could easily be an always on, and is stackable with any one of the Danelectros. $60

I also have a couple of Donner pedals that are excellent as well...but I'll wrap for now.

Edit: photo for visual reference...all the mentioned pedals have tough metal bodies.

IMG_7033.JPG

The-Kid, Preacher and RetroTeleRod like this.
  13. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I think there are plenty of great sounding drives, delay, mods etc.... in that range of price, almost anything by Joyo, Mooer, Caline, etc...

A good sounding and cheap effect that it's very hard to find is the polyphonic pitch shifter, the tracking is
    very often an issue so i say that the Mooer Tender Octaver is just one of the best but probably the best economic pedal that i've ever had, i have the first version.

I paid it 40 Euro, second hand and the quality of this baby is unbelievable.

For drives i can say the Caline Pure Sky but also the Joyo Ultimate Drive, as i said, with drives you've got a huge choice out there.

So the Mooer Tender Octaver is the one to me.

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

boost - TC Electronic Spark Booster; JHS Prestige
    overdrive - Nux Horseman
    delay - Joyo d-Seed
    tremolo - Tone City Tremble

Pretty much my current pedalboard, minus the Spark.

stormsedge likes this.
  15. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I've ventured out abit, but I can't get away from the fact Behringer make a great selection of affordable pedals, so people can get an idea of what they want without spending £££s.

Here's a really useful list of what every pedal is based on...

https://www.tonestart.com/ultimate-behringer-guitar-pedal-clone-list/

And here's a really good video of comparisons

Oh, and ignore the "they're made of plastic, they'll break"... I'm big clumsy bloke who like 6 pints before a gig, and my wayward stomps haven't marked one yet!

16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I have never tried this pedal but it seems to get a lot of love from many players, especially for the price.

upload_2020-4-9_17-59-31.png

17. JuneauMike

Their preoccupation with food is kinda "Weird Al" of them, but otherwise this Danelectro Tune Melt pedal is a great bargain for tremelo effect. Cheap, not very durable, and the trem is pretty warm. But it's great otherwise. I'm down to only one knob, but I found that one of those Phillips Screwdriver apex bits that you use for speed drivers will substitute for a knob. Makes it look a little tougher.

tuna melt.jpg

18. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

The Hustle Drive is an OCD-ish clone which stacks well with a TS-ish clone in front of it. I use the TCE El Macambo drive & Hustle Drive stacked a lot (a little bit of each goes a long way):

+1 on the @JuneauMike suggestion for the Byang Tri-Reverb, I'm using it in very subtle fashion in the clip above as well.

StratmanSteve likes this.
  19. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

That whole series of Digitech pedals is flippin' GREAT- Obscura (delay), Nautila (modulation), Ventura (vibe/rotary) and Polara (reverb). They cost more than a $20 Chinese stompbox, but they offer loads of options and sound terrific.

The Danno French Toast is not only named after one of my favorite foods, but is a sweet Foxx Tone Machine clone. I wouldn't tour one, but for casual use mine's held up fine. I'm a big fan of the Little Bear BS1 Fuzz, too. It's a clone of the Zvex Wooly Mammoth (which is itself a modified Fuzz Face). Years ago I picked up a Rouge (Musicians' Friend house brand) delay for cheap- you won't confuse it for one of the fancier delays with tons of knobs, but it's all you need for a little slapback.

blowtorch likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

In the spirit of ' cheap pedals ' theme for those who may know, which pedal has a better Gain range to go from overdrive to distortion going into a SS Fender amp, set clean ? Seem to read good about both ( I'm not a heavy distortion guy)

Joyo Ultimate Drive or
    Caline Orange Burst ( dont know if I got name right, Xotic BB Boost type)

* I just wanna try something different from Boss/ MXR pedals I own
    Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.