Eclipse Viewing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Aug 2, 2017.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey, I'll see it. Many sites like NASA running live feeds of it, plus I can walk outside and gaze at the partial 65% eclipse here with my glasses from 2012, then saunter back inside, pop a beer, and watch all the folks in traffic jams leaving the umbra zone on CNN :D

But seriously, enjoy. If I lived near the umbra zone of course I'd be out there.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Thank for the pity, I'd rather have a couple of bucks for a cup of coffee. I'm not jaded, I'm just not interested. I'm ALMOST willing to bet I won't be able to avoid it though. :lol:

3. Toto'sDad

Ditto:

4. Toto'sDad

I also think I can pretty safely watch it on TV with very little danger to myself or another certain party who is always near me.

5. tap4154

My sister teaches elementary. She & other teachers actually have to get parent's permission to take kids outside with a pinhole projector. She says the kids won't be able to resist staring at the Sun, probably right, then the teacher gets blamed for all the blind kids. I showed her some apps she can use to view it in the classroom on a laptop connected to the room TV, but likely CNN & others will have it too.

I remember the 1984 one, a partial here. Heard something on the radio the day of, but no one really cared much. Just happened to notice hundreds of crescents moving on the ground projected from "pin-holes" between tree leaves and realized it must be the eclipse. Pretty cool effect.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

I wish I were a little more exited about the event, but there will be plenty of folks who are. I'm not taking anything away from those who are exited about it, I just don't understand it. I've seen a bear up a tree that my own dogs put there which I thought was pretty exiting. Not too many people have seen that, nor would they want to, and that's okay. I guess it's just what you are interested in.

tap4154 likes this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I will not have an eclipse pale ale. Too far.

8. Toto'sDad

I think a little kid would get a kick out of seeing the eclipse and it's too bad your sister can't show it to them properly. There WOULD be something go wrong though, almost a certainty, that's just the way it is today. You point out your recollections of the 1984 eclipse, and I tried to think about it, and to tell you the truth I can't remember anything at all about it. Perhaps it wasn't visible in California I don't know. I have heard of the sun shinning through the leaves effect before, and that would be cool. I think it's too late for me to change my mind and round up something to watch it with, so I guess I'll just have to stick with my decision. The reflection from a pinhole box, wouldn't that be about the same as watching it on TV only less dramatic? :)

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dear Sir, Please let me help you understand the many reasons why a total eclipse is remarkable and thought provoking.

Imagination is the key. If you can scale your brain up enough to envision the size of these balls and the amazing distances represented it truly is an engineering feat on a massive scale.

You also have to imagine what these events may have felt like to all men through all ages. The sense of awe and fear had to have been as concerning as any other thing in their lives.

And if the cerebral route isn't enough...it's a dang good reason for a party! Pull up lawn chair and have some of this pig that cooked all night!...LOL! :)

Toto'sDad and 64Strat like this.
  10. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I would have liked to get the glasses but on Amazon it was a total ripoff. You had to buy a set of 10 for too much cash. My local museum just sold 5000 pairs in an hour. I think they should have anticipated better the demand for viewing glasses.

11. Toto'sDad

I know, it's probably because I've been around so long and seen so much that it hasn't gotten me going. BUT, I always like some fresh slow cooked pig, so I'd have me some of that!

The scaling up thing, this is kind of hard to explain, but when I was a lad, I thought of all the wonderful places that I wanted to go. I was too poor to get much beyond the rural mailbox out on Rose Drive at the time. Then when I spent my years trucking I went a LOT of places, the thing is, they all looked the same because you just go through all of those different place out on the bypass lanes around the towns. Philosophically, I know the scale you speak of exists, but you know when those good folks fell out of the sky riding the Challenger and plunged to earth, it seems that man's grasp does indeed exceed his reach. I dunno, just pass me the plate of pig, I can deal with that.

william tele likes this.
  12. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

It'll pass right over my house, 100% total eclipse. I have Monday off from work anyway, so I'll watch it in my front yard. A nice lady (total stranger) gave me a couple pair of those cardboard-frame eclipse glasses this evening - free (I slipped her a few bucks that she'll discover when she gets home).

Any TDPRIer want to stay in my guest bedroom, just ask. I expect free breakfast out of the deal though. Including bacon. Special Eclipse bacon. :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

i was in driggs / victor ID yesterday... we were there for 5 days... it is the premium viewing spot apparently... along the line... personally i couldn t get out of there fast enough... i want nothing to do with the crowds and bs... i go to driggs to get away from bs...

if ya into that kinda thing i hope you enjoy it... i ll be looking elsewhere..

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. tap4154

I was living here in Orange County CA back then too, so I'm sure it was visible in Bakersfield. I think the totality path was in Mexico. Look at the ground under some trees with dense foliage on Monday about 9:30 AM, you'll see the crescents. In fact that early in the morning it might even project onto the wall of a home because of the angle of the Sun. Find some tall trees with a wall west of them as your "theater". The pinhole method basically just shows one crescent.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Thanks for the tip, now that's something practical to do that I can do right here at home! THANKS!

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Watching the eclipse on TV? There are plenty of videos of previous eclipses and this one won't look any different. The best stuff is seeing whats's around you as the sky darkens and the shadows curve. If you're somewhere quiet (lucky you), you may even hear all the birds and animals go still.

If you have glasses, take a look... but the real show is all around you.

cactusrob, tery and william tele like this.
  17. tap4154

You're welcome. I actually do enjoy these kind of things, have a telescope too. Was just yanking some chains a bit about the Starbucks and traffic THOUGH I certainly wouldn't travel from here to CA-hating Oregon just for 2 minutes of darkness.

Googled pic of the crescents
    Eclipse wall.jpg on a home:

william tele and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

That is so COOOOOOL, er, HOOOOTTT, well anyway it's neat! :lol:

19. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

If it still matters to you, I bought a dozen of those at Fred's in Eugene last week for my folks at work. Came home, slapped a pair on and eased upward until the unobstructed sun was squarely in my field of vision. No pain, and nothing less bright than the sun gets through the lens at all. They do have a label stating they're ISO-compliant. I think they'll be fine.

20. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

messing around with a Baader Solar Filter, on my DSLR with a 600mm lens. At 8:00 on the face of the Sun, you can see it resolved sunspot activity. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

rcole_sooner and william tele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.