Echopark Clarence - Anybody out there have one?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Scottone, May 19, 2013.

1. Scottone

Scottone Tele-Meister

I've been looking around for a tele style guitar with some funky twists and stumbled upon Echopark guitars.

Long story short, I've ordered Gabriel's Clarence Gold Foil model spec'ed as per the attached pics. Bit of an impulse buy, but I've been pretty lucky with custom builds in the past and I'm expecting that this will turn out great as well.

Anybody have any hands on experience with the Clarence?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

I wish I owned one. I love the history of this model too.

3. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Holic

That is one cool looking guitar.

4. Scottone

Scottone Tele-Meister

I actually changed my order the new "Troy" model. Same pick-ups but bid different look

[​IMG]

5. JesseJerk

JesseJerk TDPRI Member

We carry Echopark at my shop Cowtown guitars. EVERY one that I have played is an absolute "Players" guitar. I own one and it's now my main guitar. THE best new company to come around in a really long time.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I looked at that guitar and thought "what is the Clarence White connection?" and then I researched and they are chasing the Clarence "LEO" Fender thing….

interesting...

7. JesseJerk

JesseJerk TDPRI Member

getbent You should look him up. He is in your neck of the woods. Great guy and he builds one heck of a guitar. All made by hand the old school way. No CNC. Very personal with each build.

8. neatone

neatone Tele-Holic

been interested in that neck gold foil pup for awhile...certainly looks cool...nice looking guitars..echopark...

oh ok so the white clarence is not for clarence white!!??...hmmm..haha

cheers

9. Jimmy Hendricks

Jimmy Hendricks TDPRI Member

Those are nice looking guitars! Have to try to find one to play.

10. duanesworld

duanesworld TDPRI Member

Ok, here's a quick review. I've had the Echopark Clarence Light Gold Foil for a couple of months. It's the #1 Clarence Gold Coil with the ultra light swamp ash body. When I first played it I immediately felt like I was playing an old guitar. It looks new but it feels well worn in. Fantastic.

Details: First, this is the most upgraded version Gabriel makes. It weighs in at exactly 5lbs. It's a one piece body, no chamber. The swamp ash is old growth, incredibly light weight. It's incredibly resonant.

Even at this extremely light weight the guitar hangs perfectly.

The neck is made of exotic wood. The Maple is very old. The fingerboard is Brazilian Rosewood.

Saddles: JR Kohler Cold Rolled Steel, the perfect match for this guitar.

Pickups: Gold Foil in the neck. Ceramic magnets wound to 6.5K. It's the size of a humbucker but it's a true single coil. Love this pickup. Just special. Sounds huge, excellent string definition. Deep but with character and chime.

The bridge is a 10K Grey Bobbin. I believe it's Alnico 3 magnets. Excellent in all regards. Strong through all frequencies without the "bite".

The Wiring: Both pots are 500K. I don't know where Gabriel gets the pots but they are the finest I've ever owned. Smooth as silk both in mechanical function and sound quality. The cap is a .022 old Russian Mil Spec.

The Knobs: I love them. The look fits the guitar. But more important is where they are positioned. Reachable, the volume is easy to roll with your pinky. The pickup selector is tight and set at an angle that makes switching positions effortless.

The Finish: It's so thin it's barely there. The pictures show less grain showing through the white finish than in person. It's only slightly shiny.

Frets: Jesscar Medium Jumbo Steel. A perfect match to the 12" radius of the fingerboard. The set up is awesome. It plays like butter.

The Nut: Gabriel has a secret method of impregnating the nut with a special lubricant he's developed years ago. The nut never needs to be lubricated again.
    The result is this guitar stays in tune for very long periods of playing. The nut is perfectly cut which not only keeps the strings from getting pinched but it allows the guitar's action to be set-up any way you want it from incredibly low and up from there.

Bottom Line: I have a bunch of guitars. I am in awe of this guitar. Everything about it is top-flight from the design thru the parts thru the build.
    This version of Clarence has all of the upgrades. The price is $3550.00. Worth every penny. It's a hand-made guitar made by one incredible man. It's a bargain at this price point. Compared to Fender's Masterbuilt Tele's I've played I'd take this Echopark over any I've played and it's over $2000.00 less minimum.

It's got a unique voice that is still unmistakeable as a Tele voice. But it's great that it's very different from my other Tele's. Highest Recommendation.

If you can afford one it's a no brainer purchase. The fact that Gabriel only has enough of this batch of Swamp Ash to build 30 guitars is going to limit how many he can build. But I know that not all of the wood will turn into Clarence models. He offers other models made from Swamp Ash. This wood is worth coveting. So how long can you wait before it's gone. I don't have a clue.

I have too many guitars, I admit it. This one is at the top of my "keeper" list. I did an inventory the other night. I think by summer's end I'm going to release 3 amazing guitars. Hmmm...I'm getting 3 Echopark Guitars this summer. It's not a coincidence.

Here's a few quick pictures for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, oh, wow, been a big fan for a couple of years. Saw Joe Perry playing this awesome axe like 3 years ago. Took forever and a day to find out who made it but once I did I found Gabe Currie is a very cool dude. I want the first Clarence type but this one of Curtis Novak's firebirds in the neck. Maybe when I'm 50.

I actually follow him on FB, seeing his build pictures and stuff like that is really inspiring, especially when your just starting to learn to build.

That is one sweet axe duanesworld!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.