Echobrain VS Aquapuss

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by NothingGoatboat, Jun 1, 2019.

1. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Anyone have both the TC Electronic Echobrain and the Aquapuss Delays? How do the compare to each other? As far as I know, they're both Boss DM2 variants. From the YouTube i watched they sounded pretty close, but what do you guys think? Thanks for any info. I am buying some pedals to fill up a big board and I need a few delays.

2. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

I have owned an Aquapuss. I recently bought an Echobrain for a battery powered small board I was putting together -- I thought like a cheap Aquapuss! The Echobrain sounded pretty good but the build quality is so bad I would not buy it. I bought it to use the battery and the input switch would never disengage so it ran the battery down in hours with nothing plugged in. And you have to take it apart to replace the battery. My other TCE pedals are outstanding and I am very disappointed. The Aquapuss is a one-trick pony but a very good one. I like my TC Electronic Flashback II --so much more versatile than the Aquapuss -- and the fact that you can set up one of the toneprints as a chorus is like getting two pedals.

NothingGoatboat likes this.
  3. NothingGoatboat

That's odd; i actually ended up buying one and the build quality on mine is outstanding. It's built like a tank; and I have no issues with the switch. I don't use a battery but I could see how that could be an issue. To my ears it sounds like a Boss DM2 with less high end; very similar to an Aquapuss, from my experience. It may replace the DM2 clone I have been using, actually. It's great for getting that really spongey sound Brad P. and others manage to get. Maybe you got a faulty one? Thanks for the info, though.

4. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

It looks like a tank --I'll give you that!:);):)
    And I liked the sound of it.

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

What would you say the AP's one trick is? Genuine question. Slapback?

6. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

Slapback yes but any delay less than its 300ms limit. The early repeats are clear and firm; the highs and lows are attenuated and the voicing is complimentary to guitar. That initial repeat sounds just right for slapback to many. The later repeats fade nicely and smear into a more reverb-like tail. From what I've read, an analog delay that can go 600ms uses twice as many transistors and this degrades the clarity of the sound. I think the Aquapuss was intended to be the best analog delay pedal for guitar that could be made. If you happen not to like the way it's voiced then you won't love it. No options there.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

it's a straight standard for a slapback delay.

I also like dialing the delay almost out of it for a slightly thicker/smeared tone (like an echoplexish thing) very early rock and roll sounding.

it's an instant 50's through my PRRI.

I'd argue it's a two trick pony.

Slapback.

Spaceship Sounds.
    -Its really easy to get it self oscillating and make sci-fi pew pew laser noises.

NothingGoatboat and bluebirdrad like this.
  8. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

As for the original question, I would say the Echobrain shares many of those same characteristics as the Aquapuss but if my memory is correct doesn't have quite the same clarity. Sounds pretty good for the price but for the build quality (my opinion). For my battery powered rig I wish I had bought a Carbon Copy.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Thank you. That's very helpful.

10. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Aquapuss, the only way to go.

11. NothingGoatboat

I totally would buy one, if I had the cash right now haha. Thanks everyone for the info. I really appreciate it.

12. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

Interestingly the battery problem with my Echobrain seems to have spontaneously resolved. I use it on a small board for rehearsal with short delay and longer repeats for a reverb effect for my no reverb amp and it sounds really good. Honestly if you like your Echobrain I don't think you'll gain much by trading up to the Aquapuss.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.