1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Echo In The Canyon is on Netflix now

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hatfield92, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So I was finally able to catch “Echo In The Canyon” yesterday, as it’s made its way to Netflix. I’ve been dying to see it, because it chronicles one of my favorite eras/places in music history. Oh, but to be a witness to that party at Mama Cass’ when CSN harmonize for the first time. But I digress...

Anyway, I found the documentary a little disappointing. Jakob Dylan is a remarkably talented individual, but he injected way too much of himself into what is ostensibly a history. I don’t care how well you can cover these classic songs, dude. How about leaving it to the original artists. I could have given you a pass if you’d have done this once or even twice (maximum) over the course of the film. But nearly every song? Dude.

If you’re a fan of LA Rock in the 60s-70s, The BBC produced a much better documentary, entitled “Hotel California”

HERE is a link to that particular documentary.

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Just watched the preview. Looks interesting. I don't know that I'd mind the covers. We've all heard the songs millions of times as performed by the original artist, a fresh take from the musicians that they influenced might be kinda cool.

3. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I watched the whole thing when it was released to Amazon. I was honestly not all that impressed with the job that Dylan did on this. I think that there are several better relatively recent documentaries out there -

Ken Burn's Country Music (wow)
    Hired Guns
    Life in 12 Bars
    History of the Eagles
    Rolling Thunder Review (for the performances alone)
    Long Strange Trip (long is the right term for this one)
    The Wrecking Crew

I'd spend my time on those before Echo in the Canyon, personally.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  4. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

Yeah, it didn't blow me away either..

To be fair though, anyone you spends their time and effort on something positive and uplifting is A+ in my book. It looks like Dylan had his heart in the right place and tried very hard to produce a classy salute to some musical heavyweights. He didn't quite hit a homerun but good on him for trying. Most people say "someone should do XYZ" but few people actually do it!

Georox and Hatfield92 like this.
  5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I agree it was too much about Jakob Dylan and not enough about the original artists, but after all, it was his vanity flick, so that was to be expected. I found the interviews with the old hippy rock stars interesting.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I saw it. It was good for me to see it... it has caused me to do a lot of thinking about the past and that era and even bigger things than that... I watched the clive davis documentary last night and found it so sad and deflating and yet, it was really pretty good...

The problem I run into is that I experienced some events back in that era and was 'there' and saw some events that people talk about and I remember conversations that people had or things that I heard and what gets recounted is different from what I witnessed.

Here is a corny example. The use of "I Will Always Love You" in the film 'The Bodyguard'. The story that gets repeated is that Costner insisted on that song and Whitney Houston hated it, but it was required and against Whitney's instincts, it was a huge hit. I can't speak to that, but Clive Davis says, 'no, whitney and I both liked the song and loved Dolly Parton and we knew it was a great song to do when it was first presented to us.'

Further, the story is that Costner loved the Dolly Parton song and insisted on it. Okay, well, I don't think that is true nor what happened. Costner knew the Linda Ronstadt version of the song and was basing his recommendation based on knowing that song, I doubt (at the time) that he even knew Dolly wrote the song. I know David Foster produced and arranged that song and I'm sure the version he knew was the Ronstadt version and ONLY when they went to get the rights info did the let Dolly know they were dong the song (I think originally, the song they were going to do was an old motown song and something happened with the song) anyway, the story I remember was that Dolly was upset at the plan because the Ronstadt version didn't have the spoken verse and she wanted the full song or for them not to do it... Costner, when he heard the spoken word part, loved it and everyone else thought it was not going to be good (too corny) of course it was a corny movie, so it worked out fine.

But, the way the story is told now, is just a myth and is so far away from what is plausible or likely, but it is the story everyone will know and repeat and, well, it is a fun story, but it is in no way true. I knew a guy who was in a band that Clive Davis signed...and, well, the documentary about how Clive handled artists is probably true for some of the artists... but not true for many...

It was interesting how Barry Manilow (and Kelly Clarkson) were described and shown in the documentary... because so much was left out and turned... but, it was mostly a valentine to Clive, so, okay.

The LA country rock stories are so retold and, I think in the cases I know, not quite right, but repeated so much that it just becomes true....

My punishment for posting this for myself (apologies for all who read this as it is self indulgent) is to listen to what I THINK is Dave Foster's first hit--> Wildflower

stratohiker and BB like this.
  7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

"We used to play for acid now we play for Clive!"

Georox and getbent like this.
  8. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Uncle Bob likes this.
  9. getbent

There are some fun facts in that story... it always is curious when the city of monterey is misspelled and things 'like that' in an expose... one quasi interesting connection--> my step dad served on the Pruitt with Morrison. He served in WWII and Korea and ultimately captained ships in both wars (and was a kid essentially) the military put him through Notre Dame too as part of his officer training...

There are some other connections to John Phillips via 'chilly winds' but, good stuff... some 'true things' and some things that are incidental too... (how can we really know which is which)

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I just watched the movie. My first thought was "how can you have a movie about music in Laurel Canyon in the 60's and not include Frank Zappa"? But then they did. Sort of only as side-long reference. I remember a lot of those songs on KFRC AM radio in the then cowpoke suburb of Walnut Creek. We listened to Buffalo Springfield and the Doors, not so much the Byrds. But they were everywhere. Mama's and the Papa's too. I play "California Dreamin'" I think that is a great song! Then came KSAN Stereo FM out of San Francisco when I was in junior high. Didn't hear Zappa until 74 or so though.

Anyway, the film was not super balanced or risky but it was OK. Lot of stuff to try to cover it in 74 or 90 minutes. Far as Jakob Dylan goes, let him star in his movie if he's the one making it. Not sure the context of the final shot of the film which is Neil Young rocking out in the studio on guitar.

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I can't say it was bad, but I would rather they cut it into two: a doc about Laurel Canyon, and then a concert movie of Jakob's stuff. I would only watch one of them.

boneyguy, Hatfield92 and getbent like this.
  12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

My wife and I felt similarly about Dylan's part. At first we just assumed he is there to interview the musicians, but in every scene it is just the musician talking and Dylan nodding his head, not responding, not asking questions, etc. Soon we said, "why is he even in this?!?". It seemed so silly, and we eventually just turned it off. Ha!

Hatfield92 likes this.
  13. getbent

watch the Doug Sahm documentary or the one on don van vliet (or watch them back to back like we did) way more fun.

14. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I agree. It was still a worthwhile watch but it would have been far better and could have covered a lot more ground without the Jakob Dylan/live concert aspect diluting and detracting.

15. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I fast forwarded through everything that was not a vintage clip or interview with a musician from that time. It was somewhat enjoyable but not great when doing that.

I was surprised how nonchalant the musicians were about “borrowing” music from each other.

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Pretty interesting so far. Thanks for the link.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  17. getbent

I saw a documentary on Cream yesterday and in it Clapton blithely admits to taking the changes of Tales of Brave Ulysses from Summer in the City.

rad1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.