Echo In The Canyon? Anyone Seen It?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Aug 12, 2019.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I need to see it.

2. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

When y'all have time , you might try this documentary instead:save yourself the cost of a movie tic, overpriced snacks and sticky floors --and for @Mike Eskimo, there's Zappa content in the later part(37:10). You're welcome:);)

bender66, awasson and Lenny1716 like this.
  3. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Probably watch it at some point. I caught J Dylan and friends covering the Mamas & The Papas' Go Where You Wanna Go at the end of a Jimmy Kimmel Live show several weeks ago. The band was okay but the lead vocals - shared by Dylan and some lady I hadn't seen/heard before - were pretty awful. I like some of the Wallflowers' songs, including JD's singing,.....IDK blame it on the sound guy but it was painful to listen to.

4. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Sucked, go see the David Crosby movie. Its not an infomercial for Jacob D.

Bones and mrbdxmpl like this.
  5. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

I was born in the San Fernando Valley in 1965 and some of my earliest memories are of driving back and forth through the Canyon with my mom when she was at UCLA. The movie was a huge missed opportunity - it gave no real sense of how amazing LA was as a social and physical landscape at the time, and why the hell am I listening to Jakob Dylan sing bad covers of great songs? Mike Eskimo was on it re: Zappa - not enough Mothers! And the real star? Croz! And Michelle Phillips.

6. Linkjr

Linkjr Tele-Meister

Saw 1st half, so far pretty good getting all the still living band members together and Brian Wilson!
    On Jacob Dylan agree he’s not the best singer musician but has that relaxed LA style much like the guys he’s interviewing it fits in it’s like a present link to the past! Can’t help but think his name attached with his family contacts locked it in but.. that’s showbusiness

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Yeah, this show is on Netflix right now and does appear to be a vehicle to promote J Dylan's tribute concert.

It appeared to be really slickly produced (the photography reminds me of the Sound City doc) and it had some cool moments. But it primarily focused on the Byrds/Buffalo Springfield gang, Mickey Dolentz (sp) was available for an interview (ha). It seemed to concentrate on the people who were still in Laurel Canyon (hate to see their property tax bills) today and who JD knew. It had very little on the LA scene, Sunset Strip clubs, the grocery store, etc. The documentary posted above is awesome and a far more complete story on the Laurel Canyon vibe (Mic Fleetwood was living there when he found Lindsey Buckingham). There's just a brief moment on Frank Zappa in the J Dylan doc, but only that. And I could live without watching Fat Dave Crosby talking about threesomes.

It's a good documentary to watch at home if nothing else is interesting on TV. Not a great historical artifact though. I'd never heard of the movie Model Shop, so that was an interesting tid bit. I'll have to look for it on TCM.

GibbyTwin and Texicaster like this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Watched it on Netflix.
    Mildly interesting.
    I am interested in background stories of bands.
    Just not a big fan of any of the folks they showed.
    With the exception of the Beach boys.
    I like their pre-pet sounds stuff.

9. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Saw it on Netflix the other night too. I wasn't expecting too much based on what I've read in this thread previously and was not disappointed. There is a lot more to the Laurel Canyon mystique than presented and I would welcome a more musically comprehensive documentary with actual film clips of the actual artists performing during those years. There must be tons of footage available if what you can find on youtube is any indication. I didn't mind the modern interpretations of the songs so much, some were fine, but I thought the choice of songs could have been better, but that's just my opinion.
    That said, my interest was piqued, and put to rest.

10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Like any good drug dealer, I suspect the songs you'd really like to hear are available on the Echo in the Canyon DVD, coming to retail stores near you.

GibbyTwin likes this.
  11. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

If you had bought a home in Laurel Canyon way back when and still lived there, your property taxes would be hugely lower than someone who moved there recently. Thanks, Prop. 13!

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I liked it . None of the younger bands/artists sucked. They didn’t do anything radically different with those songs, but they’re all more than capable players and singers.

I inadvertently saw Jakob Dylan and the wallflowers open up for a band two summers ago and they were fantastic. we were outside in the concourse of this fancy theater having beers and every so often i put my head in because the doors were open and I kept saying oh yeah I forgot they did that song, oh wow that drummers really good or that guitar player just played a killer solo.
    They were great.

What was to follow was Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie. And they sucked soooooo bad :lol:

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I ordered the DVD when I first saw this thread.
    It was an ok film, nothing much really stuck out to me except that green MG with the red grille he's driving at the beginning of the film. Is that the same one used in the movie Love Story? (Ryan O'Neal?) Maybe a replica?

In a recent thread here someone talked about the family relations of many of the Laurel inhabitants, U.S Intell, all that stuff. Anyone remember that and how to find it?

14. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Tex, I'm betting you mean this. The fellow eventually cut his online series of articles short and turned them into a book, so if you're keen to read it all you'll need to pony up. Me, I'm not persuaded that Laurel Canyon was a diabolical government plot to subvert the 1960s youth rebellion . . . but then I've always been a bit of a skeptic.

15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I watched this and I liked it very much.

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Too much time given to the younger "narrators" of the scene which I'd rather have listened to the actual artists tell more stories or play themselves ala McGuinn.

It was worth watching tough.

scrimmer likes this.
  17. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Saw it on NetFlix just the other night. I liked it. It wasn't stellar or anything, but enjoyable.
    Sort of a lackluster performance from Jakob Dylan and band in the live performance pieces, but I wouldn't say it sucked. I thought Beck looked really out of place in it, although my understanding is he grew up and started out as a folk singer before he became big doing his thing. He just looked totally lost in it throughout though, didn't contribute much in the discussion parts and made you wonder WTH he was doing there at all, and I'm a Beck fan actually.

I always like seeing Petty on the screen in anything. Sure miss him! The interviews with Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Roger McGuinn speaking their recollections and opinions of that era are worth the price of admission if you ask me. Have NO clue what Fiona Apple was doing there and her connection with any of it. Would've appreciated a lot more Norah Jones screen time than they gave her as I have a crush on her anyway. (She's just so damn cute and talented!) Could've gone a lot deeper IMO, but I guess you wouldn't have been able to fit it all in unless you made the runtime twice as long. I enjoy pretty much anything related to the history of just about any genre of music, even stuff I don't necessarily care for. Decent documentary.
    I wouldn't totally discard it, it's worth a watch.

Larmo63 and Georox like this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I watched the linked videos. I believe that the guy was correct in finding that a lot of the people who were in Laurel Canyon were children of affluent and well-connected parents. Many affluent and well-connected Americans of that generation were involved in military intelligence (rather than the infantry, for example) during WWII and moved into executive positions with defense contractors during the Cold War years. Their wayward children could afford to assemble at places such as Laurel Canyon on the edge of Beverly Hills (or Taos, Middlebury, Aspen, etc.) Few others could. The less wayward children of the elite went to expensive or selective colleges and followed their fathers and mothers into conventional upper class life.

It is not necessary to conclude that there was a conspiracy.

I was more convinced by the videos that the availability of LSD played a huge part of Laurel Canyon scene and that Charles Manson was not merely a minor figure.

Some of Joan Didion’s essays collected in Slouching Toward Bethlehem contain contemporary reporting that is relevant and are well worth reading.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  19. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I watched it the other night, and enjoyed it for what it was; a narrowly-focused doc about a select few bands from LA in 1965 & 1966. (Curiously, they do an Association song without ANY background of that band at all.) But it was worthwhile watching the real artists tell their stories, probably for the last time. (Definitely, in Tom Petty's case.)

The new songs turn out just the way you'd expect a bunch of 40-somethings to interpret songs made by 20-somethings 50 years ago... performed well enough, but Jacob's world-weary mumble is ill-suited for the joyous tones he's trying to honor. And I still want to know how many of those younger artists were included just because they're managed by director/producer/mogul Andrew Slater.

20. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

My Wife left the room after 10 minutes;if there is wobbly motion of scenes she is out. They had a close up of Dylan wobbly, then a side shot solid good shot, the camera switch made a bad video production. SO, It is a good film and the live stuff is worth watching. It is no killer one size fits all and it is kind of dry. It starts out well. I loved the helicopter view of the canyon I loved to drive through,(along with Beverly Glenn and Benidict canyons). But the first thing I found lacking,( and a Zappa nod would have been nice) was NOT filming in the store/market actaual in the canyon. I remember stopping there in the 60's & & 70's. Bare cement floor and ice cold bottles of pop. I was the only kid who said Pop as we were transplanted Chicago folk. I did like the cross-pollenization talk with the US & Great Britain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.