EC 000 or JM OM

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by spurgie79, Sep 19, 2020.

1. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

If you had money burning a hole in your pocket which would you go with? I'm not really a fan of either player but they're the same price and both are intriguing to me. Anyone have experience they care to share, aside from "play several of each"?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Both are great, but I prefer OM models, with their longer scale and wider nut width.
    After checking the specs, I see the JM OM has a “normal” 1 11/16 nut width.
    So, I’m back to (ducking), play a few and pick the one you like.
    Sorry.

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I played an EC OOO-28 a couple years back. A quick 15 minute try out in a music store.
    I’d been playing D-28 and D-18’s just prior to picking it up.
    As you might expect, it was a bit underwhelming in direct comparison.
    Sonically, it did seem More balanced than the D’s and I did appreciate the comfort of the small body size.
    I’ve never played an OM, but I’d like to.
    I like to think with the longer scale it’d somewhat bridge the gap between D and OOO.

As far as EC or JM models specifically, I’d save my money and buy standard series.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I actually have played both guitars, but not side by side, and either would be a wonderful finger style guitar. I like OM's a lot, that is my go to size but for some reason the Meyers just didn't turn my crank. There are several different Clapton models, the triple ought is a great guitar but I like longer scales (when I built a 12 fret 000 I made it long scale). So personally, I would not have bought either of them.

Something else to remember about the Clapton models - when they first came out there was talk about a lot of variability between guitars - some kind of mediocre, some incredibly good. One more case where you really do need to play each one.

I'll add that I'm not really a fan of artist guitars and seeing EC or Meyers name on the fretboard wouldn't inspire me,

5. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Never played the Mayers, but my friend has the EC 000-28. Beautiful guitar with balanced tone. He and I have both owned HD-28s. Certainly night and day. The first thing you notice when you pick up the EC is the modified V-neck that is a tad wide. I much prefer short scale guitars for comfort, but I do notice the wider V-neck. It takes a couple minutes to adjust to, then it is quite comfortable - a very nice guitar for fingerpicking. His is about 10 years old and to me, the lacquer is a little thicker than I would apply myself, but it is a nice finish. I don't know what the finish is like today. Personally, I prefer 00 or 000-18s with the mahogany body. Much lighter and livelier.

DrPepper likes this.
  6. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I chose the EC for the shorter scale length.

Boreas likes this.
  7. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I have an SWOMGT but it doesn't have a lot of bass. I have played an EC and I liked the neck a lot but I mostly finger pick anymore. I like the look of the JM and it's the same price with Engelman spruce so that has me intrigued.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Be wary of choosing looks over playability. I bought a custom 0-15M from Elderly a while back based on features and upgrades. Bottom line is, I rarely play it because I do not like the longer scale length.

upload_2020-9-20_10-8-57.png

Same issue with my Martin SP-00016 and SP-00016R. All beautiful instruments, but long scale length. Just don't like the scale length - especially on acoustics.

spurgie79 likes this.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Agreed, the 000-18's are wicked good (I love mine). If I had to have rosewood b/s, I'd get the 000-28 Modern Deluxe. If I wanted something spendier then a 000-18, I'd get a 000-18 Kenny Sultan or GE.

spurgie79, JamesAM and Boreas like this.
  10. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

The depth and scale of the OM speaks to me more. For 00-000 sizes, I prefer mahogany for what I play- but that EC is like a watershed guitar. That’s a hard one!

spurgie79 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.