EBS Flat Patch Cables - issues with some pedal jacks

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chud, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone using EBS flat patch cables notice connection issues with certain pedals that have jacks that either protrude off the body of the pedal or are a little recessed? I was running down where my signal was breaking down today, and I found two pedals that the EBS just don't seem to play well with. The first is my 25 year old Dunlop CryBaby that I probably need to replace the jacks on anyway, but those are a little recessed, and the second is my Joyo Aquarius delay that it seems the jacks protrude a little more than other pedals.

IMG_6563.JPG

Signal chain is Guitar -> Tuner -> Wah -> Noise Gate (send to Comp -> Sweet Baby - Blues Drive -> Gunslinger -> Boost - return to Noise Gate) -> Delay -> Chorus -> Stereo Pinwheel -> Stereo Reverb -> Stereo Looper -> Amps.

I haven't fully sussed out the wah yet, but putting back the Hosa pancake jacks on the delay solves that signal break. I was having issues with the send and return off the noise gate as well, but I think that's likely because the output of the gate was going into the delay with one of the EBS cables. I'll swap back to a regular pancake and see if that fixes it.

Kind of annoying because I wanted to go with all one type of low profile cable on the board instead of the four different types I had patchworked previously.

black_doug likes this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I have one pedal that has that issue. The cable seems to pop out 1/8” or so. It happens with different cables. I use EBS on my boards but Rattlesnake everywhere else and those are Neutrik brand plugs. Maybe a jack issue in the pedal.

northernguitar and Chud like this.
  3. Chud

I'm pretty sure that's the case with the wah because it's just old and the jacks are uber loose. The joyo is brand new and works with all of my other assorted cables with no issue, so a little odd there. At the end of the day if I have to use the Hosa pancakes on just those two pedals it's not a big deal, just annoying.

northernguitar and Killing Floor like this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

82F03938-C9FA-4D29-9766-10038946C0F4.jpeg I’ve been very pleased with the MAKA brand cables. Haven’t experienced any issues connecting a variety of pedals with them. They’re small, flexible and my signal seems very clean. As you can see they allow me to get my pedals pretty close together! C8D7AE79-8C17-4B8A-B941-A6DD51CAB705.jpeg

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

MAKA even makes a “S” cable for this situation... A87ABEAC-79AD-4367-AA1A-A0769133B69E.jpeg

Chud likes this.
  6. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

You could try bending the piece of the jack that makes contact with the tip of the plug back towards the center of the jack.

northernguitar and Chud like this.
  7. Chud

Yep, that was going to be my interim fix on the wah before looking at replacing the jacks altogether. I think I’ve done that a few times already over the last few decades, so it may just be time to install new ones. It still sounds and works great other than the loose jacks.

I’ll play around with the delay a bit as well. Just weird how new it is and how there aren’t issues with any other cable types I have.

8. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Can you possibly show us a better pic of what is happening with the joyo?? I understand the wah enclosure shape issue but I dont get it when you say "jacks that protrude" although I do understand the word protrude hahaha.
    I am really interested in buying a lot of those EBS flat patch cables or maybe the Maka that Retrotelerod brought up or maybe if I get a real wild hare I'll purchase those Tour Gear cables from up in Canada.

9. Chud

I got it all sussed out. The wah was the most finicky given how loose the output side jack is after all these years. I think with the delay I had other issues going on with my new power supply. the EBS cables work fine. Nothing to see here. Carry on...:lol::lol:

10. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just bought a pair of the EBS cables for my amp's fx loop. Never owned any before. Glad to hear it wasn't the cable causing the problems.

uriah1 likes this.
  11. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I’m not really adding any value to the conversation, but I recently discovered the EBS patch cables and I love them.

12. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I'm using EBS for about 4 years now and never had an issue. Only time they didn't work properly was when I used a loop-switcher which had the jacks placed rather close together. Since I reduced my board and skipped the loop-switcher, everything's fine.

13. mambosun

mambosun TDPRI Member

Same here, EBS flat patch happy user for more than 5 years now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.