1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

eBay Squier NOT as advertised.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by xardoz, Jun 25, 2010.

1. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

I'm going to withhold the name of the seller for now, since they may make good on this, but assuming they don't, I could use a little info on what I've received.

What I was bidding on, as described in the ad, was a Squier Standard Telecaster, with a maple fretboard. The pictures backed this up, although they were apparently recycled from an earlier listing by the same seller. The seller assured me in communication that the pictures accurately showed what I'd receive, albeit not the exact unit shown. What was shown was, in fact, a Squier Standard, with string-through body and everything I wanted.

The seller's feedback has been solidly positive, with 1 negative and 4 neutrals in one year, so with their assurance that the pictures were accurate, I felt OK bidding.

What I received, was an Affinity. At $190 plus shipping, the price was not unreasonable for a used Standard with a semi-rigid case, especially since it had the maple fretboard I wanted. At that price, though, it's a poor deal for me to have received a used Affinity, missing its switch cap and is in dire need of new strings and a good cleaning.

I tuned her up and I have to say she felt good. The neck felt natural in my hands, and she sounded good through my Champion 600, if not as hot as I'd like. So, assuming that the seller is NOT going to make good on this, or assuage my feelings with a rebate or reverb pedal, what have I got? How different is Affinity from Standard? Assuming I keep her, I'll want to make some upgrades eventually. Is the body a different thickness? She doesn't have a belly contour, which I thought Affinities did. How difficult is it to switch to a string-through bridge? I have a good drill press and know to measure thrice (twice isn't enough) and cut once.

I'm babbling here, I know, but it's frustrating and this is the second shakey deal I've hit on eBay in three months.

2. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

please don't take this wrong, you may already be well aware of the tips adn tricks for ebay....

but my rule number ONE is much like the running joke on this forum...

#1.... Picture or it doesn't exist.

I would NEVER buy anything on ebay without a picture of the ACTUAL item being sold. the fact that he would recycle a picture would be a red flag to me..... I would move onto another auction.

I would have to assume that you are dealing with someone that fully well knew what he was doing. he used the picture of the standard, and listed it as a standard because a large percentage of people in the market for a $190 dollar squier would never know the difference.....

I would Immediatley ask for a full refund plus shipping costs, if he / she will not give it to you report them immediatley to ebay.

remember if he can stall you log enough you will be screwed!! ebay only gives you so long to complain that an auction item was not as described.

3. LeDocteur

LeDocteur Tele-Meister

I can't answer your technical questions, but I will comment that lack of actual pictures should be a serious red flag situation.

4. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Sadly, I didn't find the previous listing until after I'd bid. Stupidly, I let the seller and their high positive feedback convince me otherwise.

I'm more pissed at myself right now than the seller. The other bad deal I had was over a $3 wooden box. Right after I paid for it, the seller stopped communicating with anyone and left several buyers with nothing. eBay made good on it, thankfully.

5. MrDJoers

MrDJoers Tele-Holic

Report him. It's worked wonderfully for me in the past. He intentionally shafted you.

6. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Get a full refund. Make them pay for the return shipping. Ebay will side with you on this. There is a big difference in the Affinity and the Standard. You paid too much due to intentional misrepresentation, otherwise known as fraud...

7. krispynoodlez

krispynoodlez Tele-Meister

Well it sounds like you're ultimately happy with the purchase, but feel you should've gotten a better deal (and understandably so, you can buy a brand new Affinity for 179)

Personally I'd file a claim with PayPal immediately, then contact the seller and explain that you feel you got gypped, but will gladly drop the claim if he'll make good on either a rebate or bonus pedal

8. Kineada

Kineada Tele-Meister

I agree with the folks saying to go ahead and keep the guitar if you like it, but definitely get some sort of refund from the seller, even if it's only for the shipping costs, possibly more if you could have bought the same type of guitar cheaper.

9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

A brand new Affinity from Musician's Friend is $179.99 with free shipping. Why would you take a used one "missing its switch cap and is in dire need of new strings and a good cleaning" for $190?

Report this to eBay as not what was advertised and do everything you can to get a refund.

But, even a brand new Squier Standard is only $229.99. Why would you take a risk on a used one from an eBay seller for the sake of $40?

10. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

That's just wrong. Sounds like you're giving him a chance to make right - I hope he does. If not, I'd go through the hoops and get eBay or PayPal involved. You spent close to 200 dollars for something you didn't want. That might not be a huge sum, but the seller misrepresented the item, and I wouldn't just let it ride. Good luck.

11. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Since Ebay makes everyone use paypal report it to paypal get your $$ back.

12. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Because I wanted the maple fretboard. All the Standards I could find new at $229 have the rosewood.

13. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Not exactly. I could be happy with the guitar (if the seller admits error and/or fault and makes some form of restitution), but I am very unhappy with the transaction. Two separate things. If I'd bid and won what was advertised as a Mustang GT-500, but received a base model 'Stang with a 6 cylinder, I might like the base model, but it is neither what I paid for nor what I wanted. Extreme example, yes, but the principle is the same.

I've done the first part by contacting him via eBay's complaint form and I haven't heard back yet. If I haven't heard back by Monday afternoon, I'm going to ramp it up and demand a full refund.

14. nvosmeier

nvosmeier Tele-Meister

If you used Paypal, open a claim. The sooner, the better. You will get your money back, Paypal will refund it to you and not pay him.

Make sure you leave negative feedback so that he can be identified as a rip-off to everyone.

15. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

I've opened a case with eBay on this, demanding a full refund. I contacted the seller well before normal business hours close for most folks, even on a Friday afternoon in his time zone. He should have responded.

Thanks for everyone's responses on this.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

File a complaint.

A buddy of mine bought a new Affinity Tele at GC for $139 not long ago.

One negative and four neutrals in a year.....not so good. He's taking advantage. Report him.

Sorry about the stress. Darn.

17. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

No they don't. This has been put forth quite often and it is not true.

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

But Squier currently doesn't make a Standard with a maple fretboard.

Did they at some point in time?

19. xardoz

xardoz Tele-Meister

Apparently, yes, in the late '90s.

20. Natocaster

Natocaster TDPRI Member

yeah, my Squier MIK Standard is from '98 or '99 i believe and has a maple board. they're nice guitars so don't settle for what you ended up with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.