Ebay retracted bids and offers epidemic.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chunkocaster, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think they are related but who knows. Its been on about six different items, more but a couple ended up selling and the messages were more slightly annoying than blatant time wasters and bidding retractors. It is odd which is why I posted about it. I think the one guy I blocked must be a serial nuisance on ebay as I remember the name from a sale I had listed over a year ago. He didn't buy it as I blocked him back then. These buyers are from mostly different states.

soulman969 likes this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

There are unhinged buyers out there, for dang sure. I sold a Kawasaki police bike years ago that came with a very rare low profile wig wag light on the cowl. Before it sold, the Captain of some State Police (I will just say it was in the Southwest US) started sending me emails wanting to buy the lights, but not the bike. I declined it and reminded him that ebay doesn't allow deals being made outside of the auction. He kept emailing, then tracked me down and started calling me at home. When the bike eventually sold, that same Captain purchased a guitar strap that I had in another listing and left a horrific feedback related to the motorcycle lights and not the strap.

Did ebay take any action on my behalf? Not a damn thing.

bender66 and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I have not used EBAY in a long time. I can’t really say why but I read a lot of things like this. It has been years.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I would agree. For the first time in many years I listed and actually sold a bigger ticket item on Ebay for my price. It was a good straightforward deal with a very good and honest buyer who messaged me to say the item was actually in nicer shape than he anticipated.

He asked me a few more questions about strings and sources for pickguards which I responded to so all in all it was as good a sale as I have ever made online. The Gods were on my side with this one I guess because there seem to be enough bad experiences happening to offset the good.

It's still a decent market place for smaller items like parts, tubes, accessories, etc but despite my success with that one sale I'm still hesitant to sell big ticket items on Ebay.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Kid Telecaster and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

I have a simple rule, if an eBay auction indicates private listing as a bidder I’m out of there. And I only bid on small ticket items and then only once 40 seconds before auction end at my maximum stop/loss price.
    Everything else I’ll either pay the asking price or make my offer if it’s available.
    I’ve never been dudded in well over 100 purchases and sales but I think their auction process has holes in it. Sense a lack of transparency and regulation. Just sayin...

6. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

I read the title like:

Ebay: "Ok we are retracting your bids... but if you'd like, here's an epidemic"

:D

TEX

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I never knew you could do any of the stuff mentioned here... retract bids, block buyers. Wow.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Blocking buyers is a great feature. It's not easy to stumble on how to do it but it can save you a lot of grief. I had a suspect bidder place a bid on a guitar 5 minutes before ending at 5am. The buyer had zero feedback and hadn't used the account for 4 years since setting it up. Luckily I was watching and managed to cancel the bid and block them from bidding again.

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Despite the hassles that have been well-chronicled here and in other threads, I will say that I have also had quite a few perfectly good transactions on eBay over the past couple years. As a buyer, sometimes the auction format can work well. Put in a low bid, maybe you’ll get it. As a seller, it’s hit or miss. Auction-style worked great for me for a couple broken (yes, broken) items I listed, that sold for a fortune. If I had listed them on Reverb, I would have asked for $20. By some miraculous good fortune I chose to put them on eBay, where they sold for 10x that amount.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

If you are selling anything on ebay these days be prepared to encounter absolute W@nkers no matter how much stuff you have sold and lined ebays pockets they will always side with the buyer the place is full of scammers

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Kid Telecaster

eBay is becoming more of a crap shoot but I still think that the fact that it exposes me to sellers world wide means that I can source those hard to find dvds CDs books posters and out of print etc stuff, even as recent as 10 years ago I cudnt do that. Cud only shop locally with limited availability.
    And it’s still good for the koochie kitschy stuff and you can pick up things like scratch plates, bridges etc out of China for a fraction of the price your local music shop sells the same items for.

Having said that i’m not sure I’d ever buy a new or used Telecaster or Les Paul on it tho’, most expensive thing I ever bort was a new superseded DeLonghi pod coffee machine for $200, it turned up pronto, new packaging and introductory coffee pods intact.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

I sold one guitar yesterday to a local buyer who paid cash on delivery when I delivered it myself. He got a good deal on a near impossible to find new guitar and I recovered most of what it cost me 5 years ago. He hasn't left feedback yet but it should be all good as he was happy with the deal.
    Its hard work dealing with all the bs for one sale though. If I wasn't desperate for the money I would just pull the lot down.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  13. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Bought not "bort".

14. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I just bought an item on eBay. I lost my old accounts due to inactivity including my three letter ID. So my account had no feedback. But I wanted to use a faster method of shipping as I do not trust the USPS for valuable items.

I ended up sending the seller money via PayPal for the extra shipping costs. It was a great transaction. I used to use eBay quite a bit but not so much anymore.

I have used Reverb and that is a good site too.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Desperate for Money is going to be the name of my next band. Or the heading on my next job application.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Kid Telecaster

Damned spellchecker on my iPhone :(

17. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Maybe folks catching on to the "bid early, bid often" sham...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I use Craigslist.

No problems with that.

Local sales, in person, cash only.

Life is good.

:)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

I had a guy message offering $200 for a $900 buck acoustic today.
    Another one offering $200 on a $350 listed pedal.:rolleyes:

At least the bid retractors seem to have stopped for now.

20. Kid Telecaster

I probably wouldn’t mind silly offers if it’s some kid who’s saved up for his first “good” guitar, he may wind up being the next Clapton or Beck.

But if silly offers come from wonka tonkas who are looking to buy ridiculous cheap and then re-sell high, I’d be offering to sell in or outside of eBay, Craigslist, whatever and then suggest meeting to seal the deal, exit 19 on a 18 exit turnoff stretch of the Interstate...

‘Meet you there with the guitar, you bring your offer in used small denomination bills’.

Then I’d go take in a movie, switch the phone to silent.

‘Exit 19?? No, I said exit 9 so where were you? I waited hours!!’

Ok, I know this won’t work on eBay auctions but predatory behaviour needs to be discouraged.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.