Ebay retracted bids and offers epidemic.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chunkocaster, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have listings on ebay and in the past 2 days I've had a bunch of people trying to deal outside ebay or make offers and bids only to retract them straight after. I have never had this happen before at this scale but now it seems rampant, something like 8 times it has happened on multiple items in the past two days.

What's the deal with this? Is there some kind of hack going on? These are all different buyers on many different items. I don't usually rant about ebay dramas but i'm just wondering why this is happening. I have had no issues on there with purchases or selling before, Two items were purchased and then I had to go through cancelling the orders after the guy sent weird messages only to have my items relisted loosing all watchers and my sales totals are now jacked up as the totals have been added to my sales regardless of the transactions being deleted within an hour and me reporting it.

Do people do this to delete other watchers so they have a better chance of winning the auction for low price? To get your address somehow?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    soulman969, bcorig and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Hmm weird, I have not had that happen before. I'm not sure of the rules for retracted offers. I didn't know that was allowed. Is there a consequence to the buyer if they win an auction but then don't pay? Supposedly they are obligated to buy it, right? Maybe, as you say, they are hoping to buy it for less, and thinking a re-listed item might go for less next time.

The weirdest thing that happened to me was a guy lost an auction for my item, then somehow sent me a message afterwards saying he was desperate to buy it, and would pay MORE than the winning bid, and if I didn't sell it to him he would kill himself. Then he sent me a picture of a noose. I mean, WTF?

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The first post makes a lot of sense.

If it was the same as in my case, the users were blocked after sending their "weird" message. According to some on here, there is an algorithm to block users which send suspicious messages.

The seller actually sent me a message asking if I really wanted to buy the item, to which of course I could not respond because my account was, and still is, blocked.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

As a buyer on ebay, I have often been in situations are think are sketchy. It's just me and one other person bidding on an item. No matter how high I go the other person goes higher. Seemingly up to infinity. I suspect it is the seller bidding on his own item, trying to bid up the price. If he accidentally wins the auction, oh well just re-list it and try again.

5. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

This has never happened to me though I have had my share of retracted bids. Usually I sell with a fixed price with best offer. You should block the offending members. Is your address in the listing? Unless you have completed the auction, and shipped the item, I really fail to see how this activity would expose your address.

Have the images been used for another listing? You should report that directly to eBay customer support. Calling them to explain your concerns would be a better solution than having TDPRI members kvetch about eBay. They do take fraud seriously at that site.

The other bidder probably has an robot bidding program. When they are no longer in the lead, the program then keeps bidding higher until they are in the lead again.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

I
    Pulled all of mine too, for the same reason. I am currently reevaluating what I truly want to repost on Reverb. Guitars in general have cooled off from a sales standpoint, except for the vintage stuff and the really cheapo Chinese imports direct from Chinatown. If your posting is over 300.00 sales are extremely soft. Like I said I just yanked 19 offerings off of eBay.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

My experience is with better luck overall on Reverb. But some isolated success stories on eBay. Any of these channels require serious amounts of patience.

Skamania, Skydog1010 and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I only trade gear on Reverb now. Fleabay, is a standing joke these days.

Skydog1010 and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Ebay, along with Craigslist and Reverb have a their share of crackpots and con artists.

I haven't experienced the OP's problems but I probably sell less than 10 items a year on Ebay.
    I would imagine it's a statistical thing. The more items you sell, the more likely you'll encounter someone who isn't a serious buyer or someone who actually made a mistake in bidding. I meant to place a $245.00 bid on an item and accidentally bid $2450.00 because of a misplaced decimal. I retracted the bid, sent the seller an apology message and everything was cool.

Hammerhead and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I do Reverb and Ebay. But I t seems like Ebay sells gear more often at probably 3 or 4 to 1. There's some weird stuff on Ebay. For instance, when you ask for a refund, return etc on something... it disappears from your purchase list immediately! You can no longer even find it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Crazy, You can retract offers within a time limit but they keep tabs on how often you do that. I think some of these were people placing offers to see where the lowest cutoff price was set.
    I blocked one of these guys, I recognised the name and think he was a tool about another guitar I had listed and sold a year ago, I had blocked him from bidding on it as he sent weird messages back then. I must have unblocked him at some point but he messaged me to retract his offer on this current item which I did before blocking him. There have been more now. One buyer messaged a bunch trying to get me to meet him in the city so he could play a guitar before bidding. Then proceeded to tell me he couldn't afford the starting price, then placed a bid which ended a open offer I had on it from another buyer. He then retracted that bid immediately.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. Chunkocaster

I have had no problems in the past on there, it's been a nightmare over the past couple months and before that the prices I've been getting for my items have been rock bottom.
    Some of my items are near impossible to find yet they still don't sell with low starting prices. I'm just getting all the crazies messaging me about them or these retracted bids and offers.

13. Chunkocaster

I don't sell a lot on there but I have noticed the increase in problems over the past year. These retracted bids start at many hundreds of dollars lower than starting price and go up to just under starting price all placed by one buyer but are quickly retracted. People seem to retract if you don't reply within a short time frame too. I think many people expect you to be available 24/7 and pull out if it takes you too many hours to reply. That's just general annoyance though. These sale ending retracted bids and offers are the real problem atm.

14. Chunkocaster

No the listings don't have my address and I don't think the pics have been used in other listings. My pics are new low quality phone pics so not worth them lifting them. I reported the one guy and blocked him. It's the scale and amount of these retracted bids and offers that is the real annoyance atm. I just wondered if it was a hack or something as I have not experienced this before.

15. jamesepowell

jamesepowell TDPRI Member

I've only had one problem on ebay - item not delivered and no tracking information provided - and I got a refund.

I think the ratings are important. People who value them will do what they have to do.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

I think the lunatics are running the asylum. I got lazy one day and accepted the partner login (i.e. FB, Google etc). It created a fresh new user account in my name for me without asking for permission. Multiple accounts aren't permitted, at least weren't the last time I read anything about it there. One day when I have time for that c--p I will go and delete it.

Aside from that, I stopped using it after getting burnt as a seller by manipulative, lying buyers. I used to buy parts there but now I use AliExpress for that.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Sweet Jimminy Cricket!
    You are bidding up to the other person's maximum bid. eBay does this automatically.
    If your first bid against this other bidder is lower than his maximum bid (which is hidden from you), as long as your bid is lower than his maximum bid, you'll have to keep increasing your bid until your latest bid beats his maximum bid. All that is visible to you is his current bid, not his maximum bid. Is this really rocket surgery?

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Ebay made a couple of changes a few years ago that has all but destroyed the value of the auctions.

1. They made bidders ID private. Now it is easier for the seller to bid up their stuff....which then allows both the seller and ebay to profit. It screws the buyer.
    2. Ebay takes no action against those that retract their bids. People are bidding to find out the reserve point and then bailing out knowing what that mark is set at.
    3. They let too much obvious fraudulent or unsavory acts to happen as long as they get their share of the transaction.

A little story about the last one. I purchased an amplifier with a low buy it now price. It seemed too low for a new amp, but it was a late night listing and the seller said that it was a gift that he had no use for, so I rolled the dice. The seller was listed as being in Colorado, but the invoice came from a Soviet Block country. When I contacted ebay, they said that they had no records of the seller not being legit and that I was obligated to complete the transaction. We went back and forth on the issue before I finally said screw it and paid the account in the Soviet Block country expecting the money to be gone and no amp.

The very next day, I received a UPS tracking number for my purchase....originating out of Kansas. It arrived in 3 days, brand new in box with a receipt for purchase from the local music store dated the day after I won the auction. Even better, the visa account used to place the order traced back to a guy in North Dakota.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to realize what just happened here. The Soviet Block member used a stolen credit card number belonging to some dude in North Dakota to order this amplifier and probably hacked the ebay account of the seller in Colorado to pull it off. When I notified Ebay of all the details, they told me that they were only interested in 2 things: Did the seller get paid and did the buyer receive the item. In this case, they declared it a good transaction and left it at. I tried to hand it over to law enforcement, but the value was only $325 on the amp so nobody was interested in the matter.

I still do some shopping and selling on there, but nothing like I used to do. It was such a great thing about 20 years ago, but it is dying out in my opinion as a result of the nonesense.

19. Chunkocaster

It does feel like ebay has turned into a shady alleyway for doing business in.
    I have had good luck in actual deals up until now, red flags are popping up all over the place with buyers more than sellers at the moment. I think it's best to deal with one sale at a time on there as having 15 plus listings is a nightmare. I see something I like I buy, bid or offer. rarely ping pong messages and never place multiple bids to retract them or weird the seller out in messages. I think i'd prefer a back alley to sell in because at least there you could beat the hell out of these time wasters and scammers.

soulman969 and Milspec like this.
  20. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sellers have been known to use "shills" to drive up a price so that's not surprising nor would having duplicate accounts so they can accomplish the same thing themselves. If I suspect some dishonesty I just let the item go and look for others.

As for what the OP reports it seems pretty odd to me that multiple buyers would all pull the same stunt. I've never had that happen before myself. In fact even retracted bids have been very rare and zero requests to deal privately. I won't anyway.

So is it actually multiple buyers who've formed some kind of coordinated network just to mess around or is it one or two guys with multiple accounts doing the same? It may be totally useless but I would report the activity along with the buyer codes. Let Ebay check it out.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.