1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

eBay prices -- what's going on?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by King Fan, Sep 15, 2018.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I was thinking (not very seriously) of getting a little Pignose 7-100 and went on eBay and Reverb. Reverb didn't have many, so I scanned eBay for a couple weeks.

Very few were auctions, so for price shopping I looked at Buy It Now listings.

But the prices seemed weird. Bear in mind you can get one new for around $75 -- with free shipping -- from well-known online sellers, MF etc. But over a week or two, most *used* ones on the 'bay showed prices very nearly that high or *higher,* usually plus substantial shipping. These were all recent, made in China models, often with tears, scars, and dings.

A smaller group listed at slightly better prices -- say $42 -- but with $38 shipping, or $60 with $19 shipping, or "parts only" for price + shipping of $55 to $75.

The really puzzling group showed prices like $80 to $150 *plus expensive shipping*. This was not a small group. One I recall was from a well-known regional guitar shop, used, for $95 + $35 shipping.

I decided I wasn't looking after all. And yes, I did see one "not tested" that looked good for $59 total and another "local pickup only" for $50. But overall, a big strikeout.

Looking today I see one for $250 (to be fair, it appears to be old vintage with the colorful label -- the only one I've seen in 2 weeks -- but it also says "not tested.")

Is this just a weird sample? Is there a Pignose craze? Or are eBay sellers getting more clueless, or more greedy, or ???

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Ebays shipping calculator is rediculously high. I used to use our shipping department at work and could ground UPS ship a Champ coast to coast for about 20 bucks when Ebay showed 40+. I advertised to contact me for actual shipping and always refunded crazy high differences. I got more A+ comments for me being NOT greedy than the adverised item.

RoyBGood and King Fan like this.
  3. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

I noticed that a few months ago when I was looking for a battery powered amp.

King Fan likes this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

It's long been known that ebay has become the home for chancers, the deluded, and the hard of thinking.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm finding it the reverse. I've got some gear listed that's both new and used and my prices are the lowest globally with plenty of watchers but no buyers. To make it even worse they are running a 10 percent off price and still no bidders. I'm starting to think guitar gear now runs in short term fads with high interest in key items for a short time before moving to the next. Either that or cheap clones and modelling have ruined sales. Maybe everyone has moved to reverb now?

King Fan likes this.
  6. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Sure, but most don't have that luxury, so that Champ is still $40 for the average Schmoe.

Any shipper is going to charge by 1) Size, and 2) Weight.

If it's big and weighs two lbs., it'll cost the same as a very small item weighing 50 lbs.

Why? Obviously, heavy items use up more fuel to move around.

But large items take up more room in the truck, no matter the weight. Less items per truck is also more expensive (once again, more fuel, or in this case, the same amount of fuel moving fewer items).

Priority Mail from USPS can be a bargain. If it fits in the shoebox sized Flat Rate box, you can ship up to 40 lbs. anywhere in the U.S. for about $12. This includes AK, HI, and PR. Samoa, too.

King Fan likes this.
  7. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

I ended up with a vox mini 3 for a decent price.

8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

You got that right! The 2 things I bought (dont use Ebay anymore due to the above reasons) shipped in the little “what ever fits, ships” box came to me wrecked. Got an oxford 8-ev that looked like USPS ran over it with a truck. Very disappointed in that deal. I used to do the actual shipping of the stuff I sold, after hours, and paid the owner of the company for the convenience. The label system goes by weight only on all the categories checked other than “large box”. Only then did I have to enter any measurements. The most expensive I ever shipped was a pro model tenor saxophone. By the time I finished packing, it must have weighed 40 lbs. and was the size of shipping golf clubs in a bag. I think it cost under 40.00 with IIRC. The UPS store wanted 80.00 to pack and ship it. Half of that was a charge for packing.

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

As far as the *product* prices I look at the Vintage Guitar Price Guide and "sold" eBay prices.

When selling I calculate the cross-country price and factor all or part into the selling price with free shipping. Then I usually refund part to the seller if the actual charge is less.

For bulky or heavy items I have refunded part if can ship it cheaper`with my UPS account, so I'll note that in a listing.

But it's important to consider that a seller has to pack the item as well - that could be easy or a real pain. When buying, if the eBay calculated shipping seems high, or only "expedited shipping" is listed I contact the seller asking is the charge is correct or about using economy shipping. I've never had anyone refuse to come to some sort of agreement (but I take into account they incur "handling" costs.)

And in many cases shipping prices have gone WAY up over the last 5-10 years - especially heavy items and large items priced by package size.

King Fan likes this.
  10. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Ebay is great for buying and selling many products but probably not used guitar gear .i sell any surplus Fender types as parts .I usually get more that way anyway .I dont sell amps on Ebay now but in the past I havnt had any problems .What ebay does doo is give you access t a huge world market from trucks to tiny screws and springs in packets of 10 .Respect .

King Fan likes this.
  11. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

These are all excellent points. I usually go to Reverb now (if I have to buy online) and I agree small/cheap items get inflated shipping *plus* their shipping calculator was always weird *and* yes, dimensional pricing and massive shipping inflation are all a factor. In partial defense of eBay sellers, I guess more 'small shops' and 'wannabe shops' are using it with less experience and smarts, while both eBay and shipping have become a lot harder to navigate.

Still, you'd think if you wanted to sell a used item, you might adjust the asking price so even with shipping it was cheaper than a brand new item in a box from a reputable big seller who offers free shipping.

On a related note, I heard a smart podcast recently about how the flood of offshore merchants, large numbers of 'fake or paid' reviews, and now the hijacking of product listings are rapidly wrecking Amazon.

This is not all bad -- it's sure making my local guitar shops look better. :)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

You just have to wait until one is listed. Do a saved search with notification.

Often something is listed in 30 items or more, and there's all of three sales or so in the last 3 months and none are within 25% of any of the listed amounts.

No harm in making "I see what you're doing there" offers to high listed items with offers.

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

With all the crooked buyers out there, many sellers offer a low price and high shipping. The shipping is not refundable. Keep wankers from returning due to buyer's remorse.

14. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I just used ebay to purchase a brand new Eminence GB128 for $59.99 and free shipping. It's gone up to $69.99 most places now.

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the main problem selling on Ebay is the seller pays 10% to ebay off the top , and then there is the shipping charges , thats why you will see an iten like SX chip go for 10.00 with 40.00 shipping ( yeah like thats going to happen) I see that alot with almost every thing on ebay , the other thing is here in Canada , if something is sent UPS it is always damaged upon arrival and then they tax the reciever with outrageous broker fees to clear the item through cutoms ( I have have first hand knowledge of their shipping practices being in the industry for over 25 years and it would make you puke to see how your shipment arrives at its destination city) their manager even stated thats how they make their money is by over inflated broker fees.

But the main issue here is that sellers will low ball a price to jack shipping charges to bypass Ebays 10% rule

16. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I looked at prices on guitars on CL....and some of them you can buy cheaper at Guitar Center...crazy prices...

17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder if everything on ebay is going to go up by 10% this coming Monday?

If not, why bother shopping at US retailers anymore?

We can bypass the middleman completely and just buy directly from China.

18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If I see a seller systematically doing that, I usually complain about them. I never return anything, though. If I ordered a guitar and a seller sent me a guitar that wasn't the right one, but I found it favorable for the price, I'd probably even keep that without return.

High shipping and no refund on shipping return does keep the game players down, but on low value items, just true actual shipping cost at retail is often enough to do that.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I tend to avoid high shipping prices myself. But I understand why some do it. I would sell more with 0 shipping, but have found it to be a an incentive for buyers not to return items. Also it's a way to avoid auction costs... or was... not sure anymore..

20. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Can't disagree with any of that.

I always found Ebay's insistence of free shipping offensive. They remind me of a real estate attorney who constantly pressures you to increase your offer or decrease your sale price in order to push a sale through as fast as possible, but won't admit why they're doing that. You get to eat all of it if someone says they're unhappy, even if they're just being a jerk.

And, now, they let buyers cancel a purchase after an auction is over if they change their mind. If someone doesn't pay, I always make them wait and leave the transaction live so that I can report them as a non-payer. It probably doesn't amount to anything, though.

schmee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.