eBay listing, have a look & help please

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JustStartingOut, Feb 5, 2016.

1. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    I'm thinking I may want to think about a Baja CS but really shouldn't. I recently decided to start playing so picked up a used MIM Standard Tele that I really like. But. New and shiny!

Anyway, I just saw this on eBay. It's a '12 but new/old stock. I'm wondering 2 things, is it a fair price and what is that glob of stuff on the neck pickup?

I'm debating on making an offer but don't know what would be reasonable. I suppose I should try one out too, not sure about the neck in general.

Thanks for any input.

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe that's the protective plastic film separating from the pickguard?

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the 'gob' is a wrinkle in the protective plastic over the pickguard.

As for price, it looks like $800 is new price, so $740 for a new guitar is okay, but not a monster deal. The big sellers frequently offer 15% off, making it $680. I think that's where I'd start looking.

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yeah, I think it's just the protective film peeling off the pickguard in a couple spots.

5. JustStartingOut

Thanks, appreciate it.

I guess I'll just go to my local GC and see what they have. As I said, I'd want to check the soft V neck anyway so may as well do business with them if I decide to get one.

6. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Just know that the "soft V" neck, in most cases, is a "no v" neck. I owned that neck. I've had a buddy that owned one. And I've played dozens.

NONE had a V to them. And I know/love a V neck. My favorite neck is the TMO-V from AllParts (and the corresponding mid-90s TL52 Fender Japan neck with the same thick Vee profile).

It's not a bad neck. It's just not a V.

7. JustStartingOut

Thanks for that. I've read that they are thicker/fatter than a C. Just thinking it might be too big for my girly hands that are still learning chords. I do plan on at least going and looking though.

8. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely do. They're thicker than a typical "C" neck. But I'd call them a fatter C, not a V.

And I don't have girly hands, but my fingers are stubby. I find fatter necks easier to play. Not harder.

Good luck!

9. Adam S

Adam S Tele-Meister

The Baja has the best profile of any neck IMO. It's FAT.

10. myank

myank TDPRI Member

I think you can get a better deal through one the online retailers; GC, MF or Sweetwater. Call one of them and ask for 15% off. Plus you'll have the added benefit of a generous return policy if you don't like it...

11. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, definitely check out the neck profile. I like a nice chunky C but I haven't been able to cozy up to the Baja neck for some reason. Lots of pickers like them though.

12. JustStartingOut

Well. I was speaking with my son earlier today and asked him what he thought (he's been playing for ~18 years, just as a hobby). He giggled and told me to go into his closet and fish around for a guitar case in the back corner. He has a 50's strat reissue (not really sure exactly what) that he has to work on eventually. It has a soft V neck! It is a 7.25 radius but when I busted it out I found it to be very comfy (beefy?), I didn't like the 'thin' 7.25 but did like the feel of the V.

So yeah. I called Sweetwater and my brand spanking new Blonde Classic Player Baja will be here Wednesday! They went down to $715 no tax, free shipping. I'm good with that price, no hassle return if it isn't everything I'm hoping for. Can't wait, it's going to be a looong few days!

13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Happy ending!

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats!

Yes, this Baja neck will be substantially more C shaped than that Classic 50s Strat is - that Strat is a typical soft V neck. I wonder if Fender decided to refer to the Baja as a V in order to differentiate it from a CS No-Caster neck which has a lot of shoulder (and the Baja has none of that, correct).

I have seven of these Bajas, the ash bodied "50s" version that was until recently the only version. I've let players try out a few of them and basically, what I got was this:

Half found "No V" at all; and

The other half found a slight, very slight V but only in the first to sixth fret area - just a trace. People don't say that about the many Fender V necks available on all those Strat models - they clearly feel a V, an obvious but soft V.

15. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good move. Sweetwater will treat you right, and I'm sure you'll love the Baja.

16. JustStartingOut

Thanks everyone, you've all been a great help (and I blame you for making me by it!).

Here's the link to it on Sweetwater's site, 7 lbs of gorgeous.

Gah. Link isn't going to the right one

17. JustStartingOut

I'll download them and post. Ugh

18. JustStartingOut

Hopefully that worked. Sorry for all the posts.

Attached Files:

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like you did good, that one on ebay was almost 9lbs, probably why it's NOS!

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My, that's a gorgeous one! And seven even is a sought after weight, for sure.

Could be just those two pieces, nicely matched indeed (offset).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.