EBay - How to lose customers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lammie200, Oct 2, 2021.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Anyone else having CURRENT issues with EBay? I got a notice about them changing the payment system away from Paypal. They wanted a scan of a bank statement and my ID. I figured that they already had my bank routing number and my address so I sent the stuff to them. Now for the last couple of days my account is suspended. I contacted them and the person said that they are taking their time verifying my info. What a freakin' PITA! I have been a customer for something like 20 years. 100% positive feedback. If I didn't depend on EBay for some things I would drop it entirely. Anyone else experiencing this shiite?

2. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Haven't experienced that yet.

lammie200 likes this.
  3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Ebay don't own paypal any more, so unlike when they did they have no reason to push people towards using it.

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought some stuff on eBay last week and paid with my credit card. I guess the bank info is just for selling, do they can deposit money in your account. I have not sold anything on eBay for a long time, since before they made this change.

lammie200 and drewg like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, they went away from Paypal although you can still buy/pay with Paypal.
    If you are selling it's because of new tax stuff. I stopped selling with them when they asked for info for the taxman.

lammie200, Timbresmith1 and Mouth like this.
  6. lammie200

So, I guess that if I would have ignored the request and never sold anything through EBay again they wouldn't have suspended my account? I haven't checked but I guess that I might still be able to buy things. Another strange thing is that I received email notices that my last 8 transactions (all buys) have been cancelled. What is even stranger is that except for the very last one I have already received the items. I sense a huge CF is happening at EBay and they didn't plan the transition away from Paypal very well. Makes me fearful that a data breach is right around the corner.

Mouth likes this.
  7. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have been buying and selling on eBay for 21 years. I have NEVER gotten any kind of request like that.
    I would be very suspicious that email did not actually come from eBay...

Did you call them using the number in the email?

Do not use any email addresses or links in the email. Open your browser and go to ebay.com and use their Contact Us link.

8. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I sold some stuff about a month ago, and had to jump through the hoops to have my money routed directly to my account, but it was a relatively painless process. I entered my bank's info, and then everything was verified and I was good to go by the next day.

Sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been as trouble-free.

lammie200 likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've gotten similar phishing emails trying to scam logins and bank info, both under the guise of official looking emails from EBay and Amazon.

10. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been through this recently and I was really unhappy with the change and whilst not 100% happy, starting to accept the process.

It is for selling and now I receive payment into my bank account within 48-hours of the buyer having paid.

eBay take out their fees from the total and as there are now no PayPal fees so selling is cheaper.

I preferred the 'old' system as it meant I would have funds in my PayPal account from gear that I sold, to use on gear that I wanted.

Now it goes into my bank account and my PayPal account and I have no secret/personal funds.

mfguitar, wblynch, ieatlions and 2 others like this.
  11. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The OP said he got a notification which, if he had the same notification as me, was within the app/website itself.

I too would be very suspicious of unsolicited emails but everything was done within the eBay domain and no external links were received.

I've been a eBay member since 2002 and had a flurry of selling, listing a number of medium/high value items for my sister-in-law as she's downsizing, so I suspect eBay's algorithms identified me.

I wasn't obliged to do it and actually was reluctant but in a moment of weakness linked my bank account details (all done with the eBay website) and discovered there was no going back.

As mentioned above, the fees are taken from the the buyers payment so you don't see the money straight away - as in the PayPal payment system.

eBay hold the funds for up to 48-hours (a feature I don't like) but the first sale was held for 4-days.

Once the process and [banking] links have been established, it's automatic after that and eBay notify you that he payment (less their fees) have been processed and the money hits your bank account the same day.

It's around 2.5 - 3.00% cheaper but I miss the 'my funds' aspect versus the money in our [my wife and I] shared account. :(

12. lammie200

Wasn’t born yesterday. This is through the website and I actually spoke to someone on the phone.

13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was upset when eBay moved to their new payment system...then I realized it's pretty much just like Reverb Payments, which I had no problem with. (You do get paid slower than with an instant PayPal payment, but for me that's not so bad.)

lammie200 likes this.
  14. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

I stopped using eBay at all about six years ago. I used it long ago a bunch then did not for years and lost my account. When I went back to start selling stuff again 6-7 years ago, the landscape had changed so much where it did not feel seller friendly at all, and with so much garbage, I bailed.

TomBrokaw, lammie200 and Pcs264 like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is this an account as a SELLER or BUYER? I don't sell on Ebay, but frequently buy. I haven't had any kind of a notification, other than simply stating a purchase was made using PayPal, but not asking for additional info.
    I'd be suspicious.

lammie200 likes this.
  16. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

I just bought some sundries on eBay today using PayPal without an issue. I suspect you may be getting scammed somehow. May not be an eBay problem but a security problem.

Could even be a problem with your bank. I had a similar issue with TracFone once. Ended up it was a problem with my CC company being overly suspicious and declining charges, but not telling me about it. Then, TracFone flagged the card number and didn't tell me. This went around in circles, being suspended by TF until I finally got the truth from my CC. Took several months to get it sorted.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    lammie200 and nojazzhere like this.
  17. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

I’ll buy from eBay, but won’t bother with selling there anymore.

18. lammie200

From what I gather it is because I sometimes sell on EBay. It just seems like it isn’t being handled well by EBay. The only security concern I have is if EBay messes up.

Not a scam. It is official from EBay. Not sure if all sellers are required to do it though so it seems like it could be a random thing.

ColdEye and nojazzhere like this.
  19. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    Contact PayPal...they told me it's a scam...check their email address. If the the letters are "all over his place" it's a scam. Don't give them your info via attachments.
    I had an issue buying...a turntable cartridge froverseas...never got it...the seller said it passed Customs, so it's out of his hands. Contact USPS. Contacted them, they said they were responsible, as it was deemed undeliverable and was "disposed of".
    Lost $100 on that one. I don't like losing money like that...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    lammie200 and nojazzhere like this.
  20. lammie200

Thanks but the issue isn’t with PayPal it is with EBay. They are separate entities. Also, this isn’t an email scam. I am not using email to respond or communicate with EBay to resolve it. I log into my EBay account to do that.

bgmacaw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.