EBay Fraudster Alert

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ojaverde, Nov 27, 2010.

1. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

Someone on ebay has hijacked several sellers usernames and then posted multiple copies of actual auctions for high dollar guitars and other high dollar items. They then insert a jpeg that outlines their special rules for the auction. ( This avoids detection by Ebay of violations in the listing). You have to email them at an outside email address. They then respond asking for your name and shipping address. I'm guessing they would then send a fake ebay invoice and take your cash. All the auctions have a buy it now of $2k listed in the sellers special rules regardless of which guitar or camera or whatever. I keep reporting the auctions to ebay , but they keep coming back under another sellers name. So if you see the following on any auction, know it is a fraud. The email address might change, but all the other wording has stayed the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

3. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the head up.

4. tele-jack

tele-jack Tele-Meister

5. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

My immediate thought as well.

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Just tried to ask the seller a question and was denied due to "the high volume of email this seller receives." Is that the MO, find a seller with such high volume that this kind of thing goes undetected?

7. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

The auction was just pulled. I'd like to know how they hijacked someone's account. The guy had + feedback of about 38,000. Not a good day for him.

8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

add a zero.

9. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

I have reported individual listings to ebay, but as of this morning it looks like this poor seller has 4639 listings in industrial, 11942 listings in cameras, 19126 listings in musical instruments, and 7500 listings in sporting goods. All fraudulent. All following the same MO. He now has at least three different email addresses in his Jpegs. It would be impossible to report all these separate listings. I have sent a message to the seller. The easiest thing is for them to report all the fraudulent listings to ebay at one time. What a hassle. This person is really a pain in the A**. Many people have already placed bids on some of these items. Not to mention how much wasted time there is for anyone having to wade through all these fake listings to find real listings. Last night there were 100 fake guitar listings, now there are 8190!
    Somehow this person has copied the same listing 20 times. So as of this morning there are 20 Master Built Eric Clapton Gold Leaf Strats listed for sale!

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/i....dkw=&_osacat=3858&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

The technological side is interesting. Number 1: I can't figure out how this guy can hijack a legitimate sellers store or username. And number 2: How can they copy and list list so many items so quickly? This is the fifth seller he's screwed that I know of. I have been reporting this stuff all weekend.

10. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

11. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

12. jhegel

jhegel Tele-Meister

I was just on Ebay looking at Heritage guitars and noticed the seller Pugster888 had 30 of these listings. I checked his other listings and he has over 4400 fraudulant listings.

His identy has apparently been stolen.

This is why my involvement with ebay has dropped to near nothing in the past year.

I like to look, but rarely buy anything anymore.

13. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

I like to get guys like that and put their nuts in a vice. I had thieves most of all. It violates you on a personal level.

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

How in the world does this guy have 387393 ratings? How could he still be on there?

15. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

When I saw ojaverde's post I clicked the link and then put a complaint into ebay through the report to Ebay link, that they were circumventing their fee and using outside communication.

16. jbmcdan

jbmcdan TDPRI Member

I did the same, vinman -- jerks like this make it tough for honest folk on ebay

17. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

It's not pusgter888's fault. This is the sixth seller that I know of that had his store or user name hacked. Pugster is the victim as much as anyone else. Whoever is doing this is picking power sellers with lots of good feedback and lots of current listings. That way the fraudulent listings won't be noticed as soon. If you look at pugster's completed listings it is clear that they only sell beads and jewelry type items. Never sold a guitar! That's what makes this scam so insidious. It is an attack against the integrity of the whole ebay system. Imagine if you woke up and had to deal with 50,000 fraudulent listings in your name that you had no clue about. Not a fun day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.