eBay disaster brewing..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, May 6, 2020.

1. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

The tracking number will probably start to work a few hours after the package arrives. USPS tracking seems to be pretty useless in my experience, but their actual service seems better than UPS or FEDEX. They definitely break stuff less...

SparkleFart likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A) when they pick it up do you get a receipt like if you take it in?
    B) I've had a few things that never show up on tracking but show up eventually. However, I have had thing show up very very late. and at least one that never showed.
    I've also had things show eventually on the tracker but going to a different state etc. UGH,,, good luck

3. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Holic

I prefer USPS to the other carriers around here. My mail carrier is awesome too. FedEx mysteriously changes my deliveries to "delivery exception" often and doesn't deliver on 2 day packages. UPS breaks things regularly. USPS is pretty reliable around here. I've noticed that packages are really slow with them right now and not scanned very well. I think Covid has taken a serious toll on them in addition to the efforts to make them go bankrupt. Probably no overtime offered with an extreme package volume increase going on.

SparkleFart, Switchy and ArcticWhite like this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I don't agree with some of the negative assessments of USPS. Over the decades, I've learned how to use USPS when it makes sense, and use others when it makes sense. I sympathize with the OP. For reference, I always drop packages off at a USPS counter, and watch them scan it in. Same with UPS, etc. Overall, I've had better service with USPS. UPS and Fedex have pulled some shenanigans in the past, so I'm much more careful when I have to use them.

Switchy, SparkleFart, rstaaf and 2 others like this.
  5. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I played high school tennis in 1976-79.

After years of playing Wilson Jack Kramers, I bought a Borg signature model made by Donnay. I was a huge Borg fan, and hated Connors and McEnroe.

The Borg was a piece of crap! Stiff, no feel, and it broke quickly. (Racquets used to break.)

I replaced it with a Dunlop Maxply, which was the best wooden racquet I ever played with. I used them until the modern era of composite big heads. 6a39188724d05d2257a558a89eb3ccf0.jpg
    images.jpeg

dunlop-maxply-fort-wooden-racquet-1413790850.jpg

61fury and tubegeek like this.
  6. ArcticWhite

The Maxply was a beautiful thing, as well as a great racquet.
    Dunlop had their shttt straight.

7. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been lucky with USPS having stuff shipped to an Atlanta address.

I bought a set of Rutters saddles from a seller on TGP and they didn't arrive. After two weeks he gave me a refund.

Another two weeks on they did arrive so I sent him the funds again. He was very appreciative. Me too! :)

8. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much my experience.

Imagine, I had a UPS Next Day delivery package (requested by customer) which cost around $62.00
    I packed it up, and drove it straight to the UPS Store immediately and the clerk accepted it.
    .........Customer emailed me later saying it never arrived...... The UPS truck left it at the store! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

my sister sent an orchid for mother's day to my wife. it was to be here on the 5th. fedex has no idea where it is. it doesn't matter if it is usps, fedex or ups(pronounced oops). try not to ship and if you have to, cross your fingers and hope that it gets there. or, wait until c19 hopefully passes by.

play music!

10. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I've given up checking tracking numbers for the time being. All I do now is open my front door in the evening to see if the Package Fairy has left something on my front porch during the day.

tubegeek likes this.
  11. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

Its the 19.
    Ebayed and paid for a guitar 4/1. Shipped 4/3 from Vermont to me in Arkansas. Update from USPS on 4/8 item in Los Angeles. In a black hole somewhere until the 21st, nobody could tell me nuthin' at the PO, was trying to be patient and adult and all. The day I was going to invoke the 'Bay, the thing was arrived at my local and was delivered the next day. The 29th of April. Woah.
    Its the 19. Whole lotta shakin' goin on...

electrichead likes this.
  12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a small package, it was supposed to leave Los Angeles on April 23 and get here April 28. Seems far fetched I know. On April 30 it was still at the airport in LA. Made it to Fayetteville, AR on May 1, and to my town on May 2. On May 3, instead of going out for delivery, it was sent to a small town about 30 miles from here, where it sat 'til yesterday when it finally returned here. It was delivered this morning. Meanwhile, an order from www.tubesandmore.com left Phoenix on May 4 and is out for delivery via regular 1st class post.

So the more you pay, the longer they take.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    tubegeek likes this.
  13. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I've shipped probably 100 items over the last 10 years with USPS and never had a single issue.

To the OP - communicate early, send copies of the receipt to prove that you've done your part, keep in touch every couple of days, even if it's just, "I called, still no answer."

I'm much more forgiving of a snafu like this if the seller keeps in touch rather than drops off the planet.

If wouldn't hurt to notify eBay too.

14. ArcticWhite

The camera arrived, the buyer loves it.
    Happy endings all around.
    Thanks guys.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You bought a tennis racquet in 1978 and you're still waiting? I'd call that a shipping delay :twisted: You could swim that distance faster.

tubegeek likes this.
  16. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the inspiration, I just dug out my two Pancho Gonzales rackets, might try one out later today.
    tennis racket wooden.jpg

ArcticWhite likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to prefer Fed Ex for larger things. They seem to have become a bit flaky now. UPS seems more organized and reliable now. I will say though that Fed ex has come through without a lot of fuss on damaged or lost things over the years. Most of my damaged items have become amazing bargains. Pay the damage, keep the item. I've got an amp free that way, and others at near free.

18. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I agree. Owing to geography/transport realities, here in SE many of us regularly have the opportunity to experience the service of numerous carriers. Sooner or later all of them will likely produce some degree of snafu. And up here with inclement weather & seasonal shipping bottlenecks you just learn to roll with it, assume extra days for delivery estimates, and relax....

But in my experience over decades, UPS stands out as being consistently and exceptionally poor by every measure. Damaged packages, poor-to-no communication, personnel that frequently seem indifferent, etc. I know there's good folks in the machine so I often wonder if the issues are somehow inherent in the system. To me, UPS have made themselves the shipper of absolute last resort.

Switchy and tubegeek like this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The straw for me, was my online account for dozens of monthly shipments during a great purge of gear, where I postaged and dropped off packages at THEIR facility. I paid a premium too. They reciprocated MONTHS later with upcharges after deliveries, as much as 20%. I inquired how that could be, and they said the online account was only an estimate. I input exact data of course. Completely dishonest and fraudulent. I don't suffer fools and criminals. Well, unless I have to. Fools are still fools, and criminals are still criminals.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't delete the pickup confirmation email and a decent postal worker should be able to work it out for you.
    I bet it gets there regardless of the tracking you see now.
    Do you have any kind of relationship with your local postal workers?
    I actually dated one of the PO girls in the '70s so I have an in with the feds!
    Make friends with your local postal workers!
    They need friends, and it's not their fault their business is a mess.

BTW, I'm chock full of vintage camera gear!
    Whatcha sell?
    Hassy?
    Not a lot I can think of in the $1200 range, most of mine is either over $2000 Leica or under $300 Nikon.
    Was just thinking I oughtta sell some Hassy boat anchors in that middle price range.
    Got 4x5 and 8x10 stuff too, some of those fall in the middle price range.

Could trade some vintage for a nice Leica digital body but selling on the internet seems to be a PITA!
    Nice old Leica glass sitting unused is a sin.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.