eBay disaster brewing..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ArcticWhite, May 6, 2020.

1. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

It will be OK .

rangercaster likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I recntly sent an small package to my sister in hawaii, guarentee'd delivery on a certain date, it arrived 4 days later than expected so I got a refund for the shipping charges because of the delay.

customs items have just started tocome through now , I was told the postal system is expiriencing Christmas type volumes and slow carefull processing on packaging

3. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Holic

I've never had USPS lose anything that I paid for insurance on. I'm sure it will turn up.

4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

What country do you live in?

Right now I'm trying to deal with a relative's missing mail following a change of address - 3 month's worth. Communication is impossible. No response to the emails.

5. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

If you didn't buy insurance on a small, easily concealed item, sorry
    Oh my, two whole days! How dare they!
    First, thanks to all for the completely anecdotal "I hate the Post Office/UPS/FedEx" nonsense.
    This happens Every. Single. Time. someone has a shipping issue.
    FedEx? The worst!
    USPS? The worst!
    UPS? The worst!
    *YAWN*
    I've been on eBay and Reverb.com from the beginning, and everyone screws up at one point or another.
    The best you can do is what the OP has already done, except maybe he didn't get the signature requirement. For UPS and FedEx, they demand a signature if the item is over $750. But, if you have delivery confirmation and insurance for the full amount, wait the 14 days and file a claim.
    Yes, it is unusual for the item to not show up on tracking the next day, but it happens. For me, it seems to occur most often when the delivery address is very close, like L.A. to San Diego, only about 100 miles.
    USPS, like every other business on earth, in case nobody has been paying attention, has taken a big hit in lost business. Heck, there are days when I don't even get junk mail.
    As far as $$$ go, if it's five lbs. or less, Priority Mail is the cheapest way to go, especially if the package is small and heavy. Bigger and heavier is for FedEx.
    Except if you ship a guitar to a foreign land, use USPS. Once you tell the buyer how much it'll cost, they'll go away anyway. Don't foreign ship with UPS or FedEx, they charge extra fees which can come back to bite you.
    For all of the shippers, get your own account. UPS and FedEx give discounts. And for eBay, print your discounted labels with them or Paypal, don't stand in line at the P.O., dude!

rstaaf and Manual Slim like this.
  6. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Ask your mailman....Sometime they push the wrong button.

I've been shipping DAILY through USPS for ~4 years.

Over 3000 packages. ZERO LOST!!! Recently watched one on the way to Montana go to Guam sit there for 2 weeks then Puerto Rico, LA then BACK to PR and finally straightened out made it there in ~2 weeks...Label was fine and I use a shipping service print labels at home...

A couple handed off to international carriers were lost though.

One currently taking longer than normal but overall I find USPS miraculous! Batting .9999 with me!

7. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I did specify signature required. I do on anything over 200 bucks.

electrichead likes this.
  8. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Sorry, but it's 1200 dollars. Seems like a big deal to me.
    And yeah I bought insurance. But they say they haven't received it yet.

All that was in the OP

electrichead likes this.
  9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I ordered an item from Arkansas on May 2 and received a "shipped" email with a tracking number the same day.

On May 4, I checked the status: "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item"

On May 5, I checked again: same status.

Hmm.

On May 6, the item arrived in my mailbox.

Wut?

I wouldn't worry too much about it, @ArcticWhite.

P-Nutz, Manual Slim and ArcticWhite like this.
  10. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

You did say you purchased the insurance.
    Explain the situation to the buyer.
    Let them know what is happening is out of your control, but that you will take care of the situation.

Relax and see what happens.
    You can not cross a bridge before you get to it.

11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

eBay or USPS disaster?

12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Things are weird all over.

I recently ordered something from Thomann.

It took less than two days to get from them in Germany (500 miles away) to a UPS facility about ten miles from me (here in France).

It took two weeks for UPS to cover that last ten miles...

13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I can't state what I really think without breaking forum rules.

I will say that it's very possible USPS needs us right now more than we need them.

Manual Slim likes this.
  14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Also, when USPS sells you insurance they call it insurance and it is insurance.

When you buy "insurance" from USP or FedEx it's called a "declared value" and it isn't insurance, it's basically an amount that forms the basis for any negotiation should anything bad happen to the shipment.

15. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

The USPS had a package being sent to me stuck in Newark, NJ for 2 weeks, and I was receiving "Out for Delivery" notices daily. This even after I contacted them and they called me on the phone to resolve the issue.

16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Shipping Update
    We are happy to accept your order at guitarcenter.com and through our Call Center. Like most retailers at this time, due to.... :eek:, we may experience shipping delays or backorders on some orders. We'll do all we can to get your product to you as quickly as possible.

"Shipping delay" can probably mean anything that delays shipping. Just sayin'.

It does seem like it's easy to forget that post and shipping folks are also dealing with the current medical issue that we're not allowed to talk about. Compounded perhaps by the fact the rest of us are ordering stuff online so we don't have to go buy something in person.

:confused:

SparkleFart likes this.
  17. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Still waiting on a 1978 tennis racquet from Swedan, but that's okay, they took all the nets down in Maryland.

electrichead likes this.
  18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I've run a mailorder bookselling business since 1992. I use USPS for over 99% of my shipments. In all that time I've had maybe three or four packages that just plain disappeared. USPS gets a big thumbs-up from me. In fact, if the USPS ever goes out of business, I'll go out of business. None of the private shippers provide close to the service at the rates the USPS does.

That said... USPS tracking is awful. You just can't count on it to be accurate. OP, I'm going to guess your package will arrive safe and sound... Maybe a few days later than to be expected, but the world is upside-down right now. Give it some time! And good luck...

19. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Hi everyone - BIG THANKS for all of the encouraging replies.

USPS tracking has found the package merrily on its way in LA.

I was prematurely panicked because I was afraid of losing my 1200 bucks, and my 100% eBay rating.

20. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Describe the tennis racket , is it a Bjorn Borg model? Please post when it's NOTRD

Here in Knoxville they opened up the courts May 1, I was furious when they locked them 5 weeks ago.

ArcticWhite likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.