1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

eBay advice needed / can a seller reverse a UPS shipment?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kickz28, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

I personally wouldn't ask for anymore than I originally quoted, if it was my mistake, then my loss. If I gave someone an estimate to paint their vehicle and ran in to something I might have overlooked I would never charge extra. I would see it as my fault for overlooking it. Not everyone operates under this principle and their are many out there who would fight you tooth and nail over extra charges.

I also agree that you should wait to see if it gets delivered and I'd also withhold feedback until he leaves his. You have the listing to prove you did no wrong. He is 100% at fault if he misquoted the shipping costs, especially if his feedback rating shows he has shipped several items.

2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I had a similar situation. Keep track of all the sellers emails. If he threatens neg feedback if you don't pay, report him to ebay. They will warn him that "feedback extortion" will get him tossed.

Hopefully a polite email that explains your point of view will be enough to avoid any ugliness.

3. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

Two different things going on here - stopping shipping and fair amount for shipping.

As far as the seller stopping shipment, he can absolutely reverse a shipment - I know, because that happened to me. I bought an iPod for my kid a couple years ago, and the package actually got to the UPS Center in my town. They wouldn't deliver it because the seller stopped the shipment. The iPod was returned to the seller, and I was not able to get my $$ back from him - no e-mail response or anything. I eventually went through the whole process with eBay, and I got my $$ refunded to my account and the seller was bumped from eBay. But the seller did stop the shipment.

On the other issue, the seller is absolutely out of line with his request for more money. He is the one who is not acting in good faith, and he really has no grounds for asking for more (other than he kinda screwed himself). I guess, I'd wait until the guitar arrived, then let him know that you have upheld your end of the bargain. You are not responsible for his mistake and you shouldn't succumb to any extortion that might occur. And don't leave any feedback until the deal is done and he has left feedback for you. Save all your e-mails (actually, print them out) in case you need to go to eBay for help. The process is long, but it will work if you have your bases covered.

Good luck,
    Dean

4. BlimpyBoy

BlimpyBoy Tele-Meister

Agree totally. In the UK we have a "Special Delivery" service for valuable items that guarantees next day delivery. For packages up to 2kg it is £7.75, but a soon as you go over 2kg it jumps to £19.45 even if you are just over!

I've had to eat that difference on a few occasions because I estimated the packaging weight incorrectly. Just the cost of my mistake and being a fair eBayer.

Get the guitar and politely decline to pay the seller anything extra.

5. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I stand corrected. Must be relatively new b/c several years ago after I alerted a company that the item their invoice said they shipped wasn't what I ordered. They couldn't reverse it, I had to wait until it got here and refuse it.

Anyway, if the seller were to reverse this shipment, he'd really be playing with fire. That would be federal mail fraud.

6. Rick S

Rick S Tele-Meister

I agree with Buddy. He made a mistake and needs to learn, and not ask others to pay for his mistakes. Exactly how he messed up, I'm not sure. No way ground shipping within US 48 could exceed his quote. Could be an outright con. Whatever, you owe him nothing.

While we're learning about how to avoid ebay problems, note that this guy has zero feedback as a seller.

7. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually, eBay just sent out an email stating that they've changed their policies regarding feedback. As a result sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers or none at all. So you're safe that way.

8. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I don't believe this service is available in Canada. Only US and Puerto Rico.

Dan

9. kickz28

kickz28 Tele-Holic

It is being shipped from California to New York.

Also the new eBay feedback rules are pretty good for buyers, however I don't think they are effective yet (especially as the auction ended before they announced these new rules).

Also, the tracking number is now up on the UPS website, from LA to Champlain, so I guess he did really ship it. I didn't reply to him yet though. I probably won't get to see the guitar until next Friday (not Feb 1, but the other one after).

Thanks everybody!
    Joey

10. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

Here is a link for ebay's new feedback changes. Buyers can now only recieve positive feedback.

ebay Feedback Changes

11. 414driver

414driver TDPRI Member

From strictly a legal standpoint....you have had a "meeting of the minds"....in other words there has been an "offer" to sell and ship at a certain price(his listing) and you bought it at that price. It is now a "legal and binding" contract.
    You have begun "performance" on that contract....you sent money.
    If the seller fails to perform his end...he has defaulted. Ebay hates that!

Do not send another penny!!! Give him a reasonable amount of time to ship the item at the agreed upon price....say 3 days....if he doesn't ...report him to eBay. You'll get your money back and he'll get suspended!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.