Eb-Tech Hum Eliminator

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by rokdog49, Aug 7, 2012.

1. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Does this eliminate ground source hum and buzzing from an AC Outlet like they say it does?

Attached Files:

• HumX.jpg
      HumX.jpg
      File size:
      11.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Simple filter with a fancy name - should take out some noise. Probably available at Radio Scrap for less $$$.

3. Steely_Ken

Steely_Ken Tele-Meister

Worked on my lap top power supply thru the PA.
    Did not work on the 2 amp set up.
    Trial and error
    like trial by drowning...

4. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

It works great for ground loop. I put a new 3 prong AC cord on my vintage fender reverb unit and was getting a terrible hum, bought a humx and no more hum. If you have a hum or noise try a ground lift plug, if the noise goes away the humx will work.

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Only if you have "ground source hum and buzzing from an AC outlet." I have no idea what they mean by that, but you need to read up on what exactly causes ground loop hum. Basically if your amp is the only thing in your rig plugged in, then there's nothing that this gadget can possibly do for you. It's not a power conditioner like they sell for high end audio equipment. It's only meant to deal with a potential situation where your pedalboard power supply is plugged in, and your amp is plugged in, and your amp has a line out to another piece of equipment that's plugged in as well. if you're sending your guitar signal to a mixer or recording device, use a direct input (DI) box which uses a transformer to isolate the mixer from the guitar amp.

Be careful if you're trying to hunt down ground loops; when you start using ground-lifts you might actually deprive yourself of a ground, and then you have no more shielding, and a lot more noise (not to mention the safety issue).

On the other hand, if you're using a wall-wort power supply for your pedals, you might find that this power supply is much noisier than batteries; in which case its time to invest in a higher quality power supply like Voodoo Labs.

Honestly I'd recommend that you first invest in a plug-in circuit checker from the hardware store which will tell you before you plug in if there are any polarity issues or a missing equipment ground on the outlet you happen to be using. Maybe it's a three-prong plug that really doesn't have an adequate ground connected to it (for instance if it had been converted from an old two-prong outlet) and you weren't getting a ground to begin with - in which case your problem wasn't the bugaboo ground "loop" it's really the absence of a ground.

Clear as mud, sorry.

6. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

And yet -- it works. I've had scenarios where I'm getting a mystery hum, just me, the guitar, the cord, the amp, and the Ebtech makes the hum go away. SOMETIMES.

The other odd problem it helps solve is the old "guitar hums but stops when I touch the strings." And you know for sure there is NO grounding problem on the guitar; the Ebtech can solve that one, too. SOMETIMES.

And that's the wacky part: it doesn't solve all hum problems, all the time. On the occasions when it does work, however, it's undeniable. Remove the Ebtech, and the problem comes right back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.