Eating porridge

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Feb 28, 2019.

1. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

well I tried to eat some porridge but these guys were knocking at the door....

BB.jpg

2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the one on the right was especially pissed after you left.

stratofortress likes this.
  3. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I start almost every day with a bowl of oatmeal with maple syrup, chopped walnuts, and some kind of fruit- raisins or chopped apples.

Congee is one of my favorite comfort foods. Maybe all that cream of rice I had as an infant gave me a taste for it. I was having a bowl with pork and preserved egg at my favorite hole in the wall Chinese restaurant one day when a new waitress asked my waitress a question in Chinese. My waitress laughed, turned to me, and said “she ask me, he really eat that???”

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yuckkk

Could never do oatmeal, maypo, cream of wheat, mush.

What is porridge. East coast name for oatmeal?

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A man who clearly knows how to manage priorities!

stratofortress likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

My wife insists we eat oatmeal on occasion. When we do, I insist that I at least have some sausage on the side, and a couple of English muffins to kind of kill the taste of the stuff. I also put brown sugar, raisins, and chopped up apples in it too. I don't see how anyone could make a habit of eating the stuff. If you do, I'm sure the end result would be.

[​IMG]

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Eating porridge”

Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good

8. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I eat my oatmeal with a couple tablespoons of powdered peanut butter and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I might throw a stevia packet in if I’m wanting something sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Next time my wife makes us eat that stuff, I'm putting some peanut butter in it too. That might actually turn it into something I'd like! I love peanut butter!

10. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When i was a child my gran would spread the left over porridge on greaseproof paper, cut I into slices which we would take with us to snack on when out at play or off fishing for the day, I'm sure some multinational company makes these as nutrition bars in today's world but I still make my own when going on day trips with the grandkids..

Tommy Biggs and LocoTex like this.
  11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I do enjoy oatmeal. I have to go with the Scot trad. version (Oats, salt, water) as I am somehow intolerant of anything that remotely resembles milk (including soy milk, almond milk, etc., etc.). I generally eat it straight, no sugar...but I occasionally use honey and dried fruit if there is any in the house.

As a kid, I'd sometimes go eat breakfast with my buddy across the street. His mom made stuff like "Cream of Wheat", "Malt-O-Meal" and "Ralston"...all variations on the instant porridge concept. We, OTOH, rarely had a cooked breakfast, usually some type of heavily-sugared cereal (like Frosted Flakes, etc.).

12. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

I have made meatballs that take oatmeal, but you would never know it's in there. However, the other morning I was digging around my kitchen and pantry for something to make for breakfast. I try to use everything before it spoils. I figured that I've had savory grits and they are great, so why not oatmeal? Took some leftover pork tenderloin, sliced it thin, and sauteed it in bacon drippings and garlic, added it to plain oatmeal with sat, pepper, and butter. A little Crystal hot sauce on the side. It was so good, I had it again the next day.

SuprHtr likes this.
  13. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

That is a great question.

I do think porridge can be elevated into something shockingly good. Usually the best porridge in my opinion is the savory versions, not the sweet kinds. And porridge does not have to be made from oatmeal.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I’m a child of the 60s.

Captain Crunch for me.

uriah1, trapdoor2, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sugar cubes!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My Grandma would feed me sugar cubes for treats like a horse. The ones wrapped in paper. I couldn't get enough of the stuff. Probably why my molars are all filler now.
    Because of the war and rations things like sugar, whole milk, butter etc were considered healthy power foods to make you strong and healthy.

Semolina is like another porridge or desert pudding, tastes great with milk and a glob of raspberry jam in the middle. It's dirt cheap. Probably good for patching holes in dry wall too.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  17. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I have the worst diet.

18. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

Grits! Mmmmmm.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I grew up on oatmeal. I spent weeks every summer at my grandparents where my grandma worked as a cook at a neighboring church camp. She had me join them for breakfast before I ran out for the day to fish and explore. It was a huge pot of oatmeal with raisins.

I still like it but not with raisins, just a pinch of salt + brown sugar (a must) and a dollop of butter or if it’s very thick a bit of milk. I’ll eat ‘old fashioned rolled oats’ or steel cut, even instant stuff at hunt camp but I hate the gummy ‘quick oats’. Ugh. I like a piece of buttered toast with it.

I don’t eat it every morning and often have just shredded wheat or something similar. I did veer off course yesterday: a friend gave us a box of grits and I couldn’t stop thinking about it during my pre-breakfast dog walk, so I had cheesy grits + toast. It was quite acceptable.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I tell ya, that Jamaican porridge (it's not exactly Oatmeal) is pretty good stuff.

I guess most cultures make some kind of hot grain breakfast. Oats, wheat, rice, corn meal - whatever you have a lot of...

It seems kind of silly to me to train yourself to be a picky eater. I generally like to 'try the local' whenever I'm out and about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.