1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"easy" German carve?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by papaschtroumpf, Jun 22, 2017.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

I want to do a German carve, or at least something close to it, but I don't have the skill to do it with a spoon scraper or whatever you call that tool.
    I'm looking at router bits but not quite finding what I want. The main issue is that I want the carve to be wider I than it is deep.
    Coves bits are "too round" the depth and width are the same.
    Roman Ogee bits have the "bump" I'm the center that somewhat look wrong.

I'm not sure if there is a way to do it with multiple passes using different bits? Have I missed the "right" bit?

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Could you build 2 templates? One slightly smaller than the first, then you can match depth/width with the first one, then take out a little more width keeping the depth the same on the second go with the slightly smaller template?btw, I'd never heard of a German carve by name before. They're gorgeous. I hope you pull this off.

3. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

You can control the width vs. depth ratio by the bit elevation adjustment on the router. Making a shallow cut using a cove bit will give a wider cut compared to depth. In order to get the results you want you may need to use a cove bit with a larger radius then the desired width.

4. papaschtroumpf

5. papaschtroumpf

I thought Cove bits were always perfectly round (the opposite of a roundover bit), as in this image:

[​IMG]
    I suppose you could do a second deeper pass to get the effect wanted, but since I want width>depth, I'd have to route the patter from the edge rather than the top.

6. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

I'm not sure what terrifies me more, the thought of a 2 1/2" router bit, or someone in the Amazon reviews using it freehand(!!!!!)

Even in a table, that's one for slow speeds and to sneak up on the final cut.

What wood is your top going to be?

mudimba likes this.
  7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I used a fairly large cove bit but I put a smaller bearing on it.

8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I have used a 'panel bit' like the cut on kitchen cabinet door inserts, requires a 1/2 shank, but cuts something like 1-3/8 wide cant. It's a bit scary.

9. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

They're perfectly round only when the depth of cut is equal to the radius. Width will be bigger than depth at anything less (providing the bearing rides along the edge of the cut).

10. papaschtroumpf

It's a multi-piece mahogany body (recycled Epiphone LP Jr to be exact). It has a very thin alder(?) veneer to hide the multi-piece aspect. I'm planning on painting it.

I agree that the though of such a large blade is scary. I also didn't think about shaft size, but my router is 1/4". I guess t's either an expensive project or an "opportunity" to invest in new tools.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

imploration likes this.
  12. papaschtroumpf

That looks good, what bit did you use? I think I want to stay somewhat shallow but wider.

13. R. Stratenstein

IMG_0455.JPG It's a CMT panel-raising (I think) bit 837.955.11.

Not sure how much wider you want to go, but in the photo, I'm holding the pilot bearing that came with the bit. The bearing I used is the .75 OD bearing installed in the bit in the photo. Estimating, I'd say the original bearing allows about a 3/16" wider bite, on the package it says the cut width is .75", and there are probably smaller bearings you could use to cut even wider.
    BTW, the shaft is 1/2", I doubt there are any bits that would give you the size cut you want that have 1/4" shafts. It's a growth opportunity. :D

2blue2 likes this.
  14. papaschtroumpf

Thanks!

15. papaschtroumpf

Well, this build is getting more expensive by the minute :) I got a Bosch router with both 1/2 and 1/4 collets.
    I also go a roundover bit at Lowes that is 1/2" radius with a 1 3/8 cut width, and 3/8 bearing. It yields about 1/2" wide when the cut depth is 1/4". I'd like the carve to be wider (closer to 3/4)

I think that bit you pointed to would be a little wider, but based on the bit description on their web site, you would need a depth of 1/2" to get a full 3/4 wide carve.

This is what it looks like so far on a piece of scrap.

[​IMG]

Maybe I should just go with that and not what's in my head. In fact I'm a little worried I'll buy a other $36 bit, wait a week for it to get here and get free time, and it still won't look like what's in my head.

16. papaschtroumpf

What's in my head is heavily influenced by this:

[​IMG]

Since it's basically what I'm going for without feeling the need for exact accuracy.

psychobilly451 and 2blue2 like this.
  17. R. Stratenstein

I think your test looks really good.

But you are correct, something you kind of have to concentrate on is that to get full width with any semi-circular panel raising bit, you have to go the full depth to get the full width.

I am estimating the width of that carve on the "model" is probably a full inch, it would take a good size panel raising bit, and should certainly be done on a router table with a big enough cutout so you could expose only as much of the bit as you want for cut depth. Good chance trying to use a bit that size handheld would either be too ornery to control, or would sling your workpiece over the moon.

The first one on this page seems to be close, if not exactly what you want, wide and narrow, and surprisingly affordable. I use a fair number of MLCS bits, they are pretty good quality for the money, if anything, they dull quicker than premium ones like CMT, Amana, Whiteside, etc.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/sho...marthtml/pages/raised_panel_router_bits1.html

18. papaschtroumpf

Good eye, the original is a full inch wide which is almost "too wide".
    I might stay with the 1/2" I have so far. It's growing on me, but thanks for the link in case I change my mind.

19. papaschtroumpf

I can't let it go, of I'm going to do it, I need to do it right. I ordered one of those mlcs bits... Now I wait...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.