1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

easy cheap lazy humidifying tips?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bunky, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

yeah im all 3 ;)

2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

An easy "case humidifier" can be make with a sponge and a zip-lock sandwich bag. Wet the sponge, and squeeze the excess water out. Put in the sandwich bag, zip it shut, and poke several holes in the bag. This plan should be within your three guidelines.

3. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

how often should one resoak?

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Whenever the sponge starts getting dry. Coupla times a week, probably.

5. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Holic

If you keep your guitar inside the case, hard to beat this method: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288060

I made this kind of humidifier couple of weeks ago and have not yet refilled it. It looks like there is still 40% of the water left. The humidity inside the case have been constant 45%. Just perfect.

6. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

If you don't keep your guitar cased then a few houseplants in the room will help.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

A house humidifier works for all your guitars in or out of cases.
    Good for your furniture, skin and respiratory system too.
    I use a fan and filter type, clean it in the spring and run it for years, around $40-$50.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Picked up slightly older version of this one at Goodwill for $6. New they're $160-$180. It doesn't get any better than that. It doesn't have the digital controls of newer model but it will keep the humidity in my den between 40% and 50% with ease. Check the donation stores for them. You'll find them very cheap.

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I drilled holes in a plastic soap case, then do the sponge.

Then have a humidifier (like soulman suggested). I have it on a lamp timer to run a few times a day as my geetars are in a small bedroom and continuous would have the windows glass dripping :eek:

10. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

small cheap plastic (tupperware like) container, drill holes in it, cut a sponge to fit and saturate just less than dripping. Check every few days.

11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I did this with a small multivitamin bottle a few weeks ago. It works very well.

12. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I put a pickle jar with water on top of my space heater.
    When it's really dry, I dampen a towel and drape it over a stool.

This is all I've ever needed to do to maintain 31% RH in Minnesota. Some say you need 40% but that's impossible for a room without feeling extremely damp in the dead of winter. 31% feels damp, and several years of experience with expensive acoustics says it's fine. My room has a door that also seals well too, big plus.

I never liked cases. If you play more than one guitar, who wants to mess with cases all the time? There's also no circulation, it seems like an uncontrolled situation. Damp guitar, dry room. Damp guitar dry room. Forgot to put it away.... There's also the out of sight out of mind factor. Close your door, fill the pickle jar, and go watch TV.

I started humidifying with a humidifier, but it was too much too quick, dial it back, finesse, finesse, finesse. What a PITA.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  13. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I had a whole house humidifier installed when I bought a new furnace a few years ago. Keeps it around 40-45% in the winter and I don't have to even think about it.

14. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Half an apple, wrapped in a handkerchief, in your case. Replace it when it dries out. If it gets moldy, you don't need to humidify.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Guitars or cigars?

16. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I put a humidifier in a closet with acoustics. Takes less refills to humidify the small space.

17. brianbanjos

brianbanjos TDPRI Member

We heat with oil forced air and wood. Humidification is a constant issue. We keep a kettle of water on the stove along with a room humidifier. All of the instruments are kept in cases and humidified with the soap box sponge method. Keep in mind O.P. that if your guitars aren't happy neither are your skin or sinuses. A comfortable humidity level will keep you healthy as well as your guitars.

18. Drewski

Drewski TDPRI Member

Move to Houston!

Its cheap and really HUMID!

19. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Holic

I also use this method now. Two plastic cases filled with water beads (the plastic covers have holes drilled) gives me 45% humidity and they last for weeks before needing refill... The closet has 10-15% higher humidity than the room where the closet is at.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.