Easy Bench Top Bandsaw Upgrade.

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by mPacT, May 13, 2016.

1. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

I have a Craftsman 10" bandsaw. It has never really worked very well. Even after a very detailed "setup."
    I know it's probably a given for the veteran builders, but recently, I purchased a Timberwolf 3/8" blade for hardwood and it has turned my crappy, can't cut a straight line through cardboard bandsaw, into an uber-bandsaw! So if you have a small bandsaw with it's original factory blade and want an easy but significant upgrade, get a really good saw blade.

DrASATele, CraigB and adirondak5 like this.
  2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I had a tradesman 9 inch that couldn't cut a straight line even with a new blade but the new blade does make a world of difference even changing them out for various task actually makes the smaller bandsaws more useful

mPacT likes this.
  3. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yep, whewn I bought my bandsaw a couple months ago, the site I bought it from even posted that the included blade was basically just to test if the saw functioned, and you should buy a proper one right away--which I did. It really makes a difference!

5. DrASATele

For a little more you could get the new Rikon 10-326 the new version of the 10-325 almost 14 inch re-saw right out of the box.

mPacT likes this.
  6. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Replacing the 1/4 blade that came on my 9" Skil bandsaw with a 3/8" Timberwolf took it from almost useless to almost useful!

Seriously... it made a BIG difference! (I think a 14-inch bandsaw is my next major tool purchase!)

7. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

We've had our 14" bandsaw less than 6 months and it was definitely a good a investment. The guy we bought it from "couldn't get it to cut straight", so he bought a bigger one. He didn't have it setup or tensioned properly. The thing was basically brand new. Got him straightened out on his new one before we left. The things I fit into the back of my car. lol.

I put a 3/4" Timberwolf on it and cuts like a champ. I love it.

8. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes... not just the new blade, but proper tensioning and setup helped a lot, too. (lots of YouTube videos on how to do this!)

9. Jupiter

Anybody got a good link for tensioning? I RTFM and I watched a couple otherwise good videos, but all they said was "it's very important to have appropriate tension. Once you have adjusted the tension, it's a good idea to mark the tension wheel location in case you change blades." How do you know when the tension is too tight? I mean, before the blade snaps...

10. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Jup , look for anything by Lonnie Bird , he wrote "The Bandsaw Book" , I think the book is available on Amazon , I've pretty much followed his set up advice and blade tension advice and have had good results . The book is worth getting btw . Even he says its a pain to tension without a $300 specialized tension gauge but he does have some recommendations for doing without . Here's a link to a Fine Wood Working article on bandsaw blade tension by Lonnie Bird . Hope this helps some

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/article/setting-bandsaw-blade-tension.aspx

DrASATele likes this.
  11. Jupiter

Thanks Herb! That's a pretty good link, though there's only one little bit that spoke directly to me:

12. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When I change a blade (or break one) I usually set the guides about 6" off the table and check for sideways movement of about 5mm + &- but also "pluck" the blade on the up going side and tension to a bit higher pitch after the 5mm check. I recently replaced the original rubber tyres (1999) with urethane tyres which makes it a nicer machine all round, although, the urethane seems to have a lot more rubbish stick to them.

DC

DrASATele likes this.
  13. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

I've bookmarked that article. Nice to have another method for checking the tension. We tension the one at school by sound. Pluck it like a string and if it makes the right sound and doesn't "wobble" too much when its running we call it good.

For the Timberwolf, it comes with instructions on how they recommend you tension it. Plus my bandsaw has markings for tension based on the blade thickness, which are kind of sort of close.

14. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

15. DrASATele

Nice Herb I'll be getting that very soon. Good info.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.