Eastwood Breadwinner wiring conundrum

Trogdor69

TDPRI Member
Good evening, Brain Trust. I was recently entrusted with a good friend's Eastwood Breadwinner (a much simpler, updated version of the old Ovation Breadwinner) to do some rewiring on. It was originally a two humbucker setup with a 3-way, DPDT mini toggle to select pickups and a 2-way, DPDT mini toggle to enable Eastwood's active electronics setup. It was a single volume, single tone control layout, which was the problem. My buddy wanted to go with concentric pots to separate the volume and tone controls for each pickup. This proved to be quite a challenge, but after receiving an original (if somewhat inaccurate) wiring diagram from the VERY nice techs over at Eastwood, I finally figured out what needed to go where. After several mods to my original design I finally have the sound and controls where I want them...with one exception.

For some reason when the pickup selector is in the middle position it works fine, allowing volume and tone controls to adjust their respective pickups, right up 'til you turn one volume pot or the other all the way down. At that point all the audio cuts out even if the other volume pot is all the way open.

Did I screw up something simple, or do I have to go back and re-think my whole design? If it would help I can upload the diagram they sent me along with what I did. Thanks in advance.
-Trogs

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
For some reason when the pickup selector is in the middle position it works fine, allowing volume and tone controls to adjust their respective pickups, right up 'til you turn one volume pot or the other all the way down. At that point all the audio cuts out even if the other volume pot is all the way open.
Perfectly normal when the volume pot outputs (middle terminals) are connected together. The alternative is to connect the pickups to the middle terminals and take the outputs from the "hot" (#1) terminals. That may alter the taper or the treble squashing of the volume controls.

Trogdor69

TDPRI Member
Perfectly normal when the volume pot outputs (middle terminals) are connected together. The alternative is to connect the pickups to the middle terminals and take the outputs from the "hot" (#1) terminals. That may alter the taper or the treble squashing of the volume controls.
Awesome thanks! I’ll give that a shot. Curiosity of this guitar is that the volume pots are linear taper, so I’m thinking that may not be an issue. Will report back shortly.

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
All Gibsons have the same "symptom." Pup selector in the middle throw; turn one volume to "0," and it mutes the guitar.

To get the volume pots independent, you need to wire them "Jazz Bass" style - pickup hots on the center lug. Swap your "in and out" on the volume pots, and you should be good to go.