Eastman 486 vs Ibanez AS153?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Tomm Williams, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I have an opportunity to buy either one of these used in very nice shape for a bit under $700 but will not be able to try them beforehand. ( being shipped)
    Wondering what the consensus is on them? The only knock I have on the Ibanez is I see the pickguard sits on top of the rings. My Guild Starfire IV was like that and I had to remove the pickguard as it sat too high interfering with my playing. Small issue but still remains.
    Which one would likely have a bigger neck ? Any other features noteworthy ?

2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

If you already know the AS153's pickguard is going to make playing it uncomfortable...

3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

True but it can be removed if the consensus is it's clearly better than the Eastman

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The Eastman T486 is a classic. It is the reason I bought an Eastman acoustic and wish I had bought the T486 instead of my Epi Sheraton II. I have never played an Ibanez that I like, so keep that in perspective.

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've never played an Ibanez that I didn't like, so keep that in perspective, too. :)

6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Me too
    That's why I have 5 of them

Henry Mars and drf64 like this.
  7. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

Your mileage may vary, but I liked the AS153s that I played better than the T486 that I bought. I couldn't abide the gold hardware on the Ibanez, so ordered the Eastman.

In hand, I find the 1-3/4 neck nut width on the Eastman feels pretty huge relative to my other guitars, even with fretboard edges rolled by a very competent luthier. It also arrived much closer to an 18-inch radius neck than the spec'd 12".

I know this may draw unfavorable comments (yes, I may indeed be a chump), but I've modded the T486 greatly rather than give up on it ... I tend to do that:

- pro setup and bone nut install (+ change);
    - neck radius reduced to 12" (+ change);
    - vintage frets installed (neither + or -);
    - replaced wiring harness (neither + or -);
    - replaced bridge and tailpiece with Faber hardware (+ change?); and,
    - swapped pickups to Creamery Black Cat Filtertrons (+ change).

Better than AS153s that I played? More equivalent maybe, not better. Also not as nice to play as my luthier's Epi Sheraton II with vintage re-fret and 57 Classics onboard.

Just my experience.

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Subscribing - I thought the 1.75 nut on the Eastmans was really weird and unusual although that is my preferred width on acoustic. Never played one but they look very nice. I've owned Ibanez semis and liked them but didn't bond. Sorry OP I have nothing to offer, just sitting on your thread!

Tomm Williams likes this.
  9. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Eastman is very good ... the Ibanez is better IMHO. I own a few Ibanes guitars. FWIW I use a modified AM73 (tuners, bone nut, PAF Jo/Mo Joe pu's ) more than any of my other guitars which include Gibson's, Gretsch, Guild, Fender, G&L, and Yamaha.
    I should have bought the AM153 or AS153 instead of tinkering with the AM73. If tou really want an upgrade I would purchase up the AS200 Ibanez over any ES-335

10. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

That looks like a tough one. I have a cheapo Ibanez ASG73T and like it a lot. I haven't seen or tried the Ibanez you mention.

However, my local guitar shop is a major dealer in Eastman and I have had a close look at the Eastman you're considering and was very impressed.

I doubt you can go far wrong either way. If they're of comparable price, I suspect I'd be leaning towards the Eastman.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.