1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eastern Ash?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tiskit86, Aug 4, 2011.

1. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Is Eastern Ash the same as Northern Ash or something different? I picked up 10 ft. of 8/4 that is about 13" wide, and am wondering about the differences between this and Swamp Ash or Northern. Thoughts?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If I recall correctly, Swamp Ash is from the Black Ash tree that is grown in wet regions which changes the growth rate, wood/water ratio, and maybe even mineral content.... not 100% sure about all that though....

I'm guessing that plank is pretty heavy if it is northern ash.

3. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Ash, white weight in lbs./cu.ft. 40 - 53
    Ash, black weight in lbs./cu.ft. 33

4. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I just cut a body blank out of it and using TDowns' cu. in. measurement of the tele body plan I'm using, the cut and routed body will come out to 5.3 lbs. That doesn't seem too bad to me. I think my Barnbuster is heavier than that.

Blank is 17 x 13 x 2 = 455, less 266 is 189, which leaves 51% of the blank for the body. The blank is 9 lbs, so it works out to 5.3 after it's cut and routed.

5. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Being a michgander here, Ash is very easy to pick up for pocket change prices. I have built a hanful of instruments with it, (never a tele although), but weight or poor tone has never been a issue with solidbodies I have made from it. Thinner stock also bends soooo easy over a hot pipe. Swamp ash definetly seems to have a more earthy resonance to it, but thats kinda par for the equation. SO, I say GOOD WOOD for both strains. European Black Ash is also a nice guitar wood.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.