Easter Music - what to record?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by mRtINY, Apr 7, 2020.

1. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Is anybody else contributing music to their church's Sunday morning download?

Last week, I recorded a piece straight to two-track with a parlor guitar. This week, I think, calls for something a bit more ... big? ....

I'm gonna set up garage band and record something... Might have to get creative with drums.

Any ideas?

2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

In Christ Alone

How Deep The Father's Love For Us

mRtINY likes this.
  3. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Looking at "Christ the Lord is Risen Today (He's not dead)" and thinking a more traditional verse and changing the chorus....

How Deep the Father's love for us - that might be a good one too.

4. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I did 4 Resurrection Sunday Classics-

In the Garden
    The Old Rugged Cross
    He Arose
    He Lives

In the Garden and the Old Rugged Cross were done like I believe Merle would have done them.

He Arose and He Lives had a Country / Bluegrass Feel. Our church is in rural North GA and that is the style of music folks like.

mRtINY likes this.
  5. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I like those
    I sing Old rugged cross like Merle too.

I'm in Canton, Ga. its rural also.

preactor likes this.
  6. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Did this tonight drummer got just a little carried away WARP SPEED!!

preactor likes this.
  7. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I would love to hear you sing that. I am the pastor in Pendergrass.

8. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

My wife and I did the Easter drive-by service yesterday morning with acoustic guitars. Old Rugged Cross, Living Hope, The Lord Is My Salvation, In Christ Alone, and another couple of songs that I can't remember. I think we had about 20 cars over the three hours.

I was pretty anxious about it since so many things at our church seem to be slapped together, we were playing acoustic guitars and it was 25 F when we got to the church. We plugged both guitars into a bass amplifier set up inside the atrium with the doors open while we were outside behind the pastor. As the pastor delivers the message to a carload of people, we play in the background. It actually sounded really good. Sort of an amplifier within an amplifier and natural reverb added. It's weird up here in that it can be frigid cold but if you are standing in sunlight it's very warm. In fact, the minor tuning problems we encountered were from the sunlight heating up our instruments rather then the cold.

I always have such a bad attitude going into stuff like this, and it always works out great-to-fine. I've got to get better at letting go of the wheel in times like this.

We're going to record some music later this week. So far, we've got:
    I am not alone
    Living Hope
    Redeemed
    Precious Lord Take My Hand
    The Lord Is My Salvation
    One Thing Remains (Your Love Never Fails).

10. JuneauMike

Actually, I'd be in debt to you if you took this one on. I think the chord progression may need some simplifying, but it's really a strong and topical song. You can click on the demo on the right hand side. (I'd love to take a run at it, but everyone here is so overtaxed, overwrought, oversimpified, that for the few participating in music right now, there's really no patience for taking on any new music. We actually could use this song right now, ha.)

http://hymnbook.igracemusic.com/hymns/god-moves-in-a-mysterious-way

11. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

If you can get together as a group and multi-track it with a competent tech to set levels, it should be pretty straightforward. Building a song solo is a fair bit of work...

12. JuneauMike

Yeah, that's the thing:
    We can't get together as a group
    Our audio folks have no way to multi-track
    Our competent techs are in hiding.

But just a thought.

13. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

I like it. Seems there's all kinds of material here to start from (though the lead sheet seems wonky....).

I'll see what I can do. Is this a well known song in your congregation, or just something you came across?

14. JuneauMike

I am frequently drawn to Indelible Grace since we had a musician at our church who used several of their songs. I check in periodically sort of mining for gems. This is one of those gems. Our church doesn't currently do it.

mRtINY likes this.
  15. JuneauMike

You'll love this. We got together last night to record some songs for future Sunday services. Myself, my wife (singer) and my son (very simple bass) and a piano player/tech.

He recorded us on Quicktime through a single snowball mic. Then opened it in Audacity and tried to compress it and otherwise clean it up. He did it this way because his snowball mic wouldn't record through Audacity for some reason.

Acoustic guitar and bass both ran through separate bass amps. Singer through one of those Behringer coffee shop PA/Amp combo things. Piano with no amp and with a blanket over it to tame some of the treble response. We all just moved amps forward or back until he got a sound level he thought worked. And it was all done is a cavernous sanctuary.

I couldn't bear to listen to the final product and I'm sorta hoping it never sees the light of day. Ha. And that's actually an improvement over what they were doing previously, which was having a piano and some vocalists sing to a video recorder mic.

16. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

We are recording a couple songs for this coming Sunday this afternoon.

Snowball....! Wow. Desperate times.....

17. JuneauMike

Hmm. You say "desperate," I say "troglodyte."

caveman.jpg

mRtINY likes this.
  18. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Got to make music at church last nite. Rehearse, record, rehearse, record... Glad I was there so that a mic got put up for the drums (sigh...).

So, a break from arraigning random songs assigned by an internet forum... http://hymnbook.igracemusic.com/hymns/god-moves-in-a-mysterious-way

I like the tune, but it's gotta have cowboy chords if you want to play it at a lot of churches. It works that way in Am instead of C#m...

19. JuneauMike

Yeah, I kinda roughed this out without the walking melody line that's baked into the chord progression. I'd assume that the guitar would pick that up with obvious passing notes (the John Lennon treatment) or the bass would fill in. I haven't played this on the guitar and I'm not great at arrangements so I may have cut the wrong chords.

mysterious.gif

I guess in your case:
    C G Am F Am
    C G Am F Am
    F G C Em F Am

20. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

I'm using Em7 and a Dm. The idea that a straight cowboy-chord-junky could play rhythm. I'll get the score done in the next couple days. Multi-tracking may take another few days.....

JuneauMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.