east texas driving rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doctorunderhill, May 21, 2020.

1. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Oh I call that stretch "running the gauntlet". I absolutely loathe making my way from Newport News southward. Then the tunnel adding insult to injury. This is my hometown but I've moved away several times and am always shocked at how much worse the driving is here when I return. Over the years it's simply morphed into a smaller Northern VA/D.C. scenario. Just...barbaric. Yeah it's a unique plethora of knuckleheads around here. I live off one of the worst exits at one of the worst interchanges in Virginia Beach and I don't know how I survive each day.

That said, Williamsburg is beautiful. And more than a few times when returning from somewhere north of there, if I didn't have anywhere particular to be and a little extra time on my hands, I've taken the Jamestown Ferry and the long route back through Smithfield.

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Driving through North Dallas is like this....

[​IMG]

doctorunderhill and 8trackmind like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, but the guitar is awesome!

[​IMG]

doctorunderhill likes this.
  4. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

That's where you get your kolache fix.

[​IMG]

tery likes this.
  5. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Answer this one: Why do Texas motorists pass you, then get in front of you and slow down? I've driven in 40 or so other states but was amazed by the frequency of occurance in the city areas like Dallas, Houston etc.
    Always wondered.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Never been to Texas, but I kinda like psychology :lol:

1. They prefer to drive at that slower rate but
    2. They are overwhelmed by the basic caveman urge not to let anyone be driving in front of them, so
    3. They pass you, then go back to their usual speed.

7. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I wish I could explain it. I certainly can't deny it's a thing.

To be fair, if you are in Dallas, most of the drivers around you learned to drive somewhere else.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  8. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I love that Jamestown Ferry and Smithfield route.
    I'm Canadian and Herself grew up in Williamsburg. We live in Ireland but recently winter in VA. She's relatives in Newport News so we go there a lot...usually via the Parkway. THAT is a nice drive.

KW1977 likes this.
  9. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve gotten those before. Usually a $4.50 toll accompanied by a $30 “service fee” from the rental car company.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

The only part of Texas I've driven in was in and around Dallas. The drivers and traffic there were great compared to Seattle. I've driven in about 40 of the States, and in my opinion, no geographical area has worse drivers than Western Washington, bar none, no comparison for me.

Also, as a side note, we walked all over down town Dallas, and got approached by one single bum. If we had walked in Downtown Seattle for the same distance or period of time, we would have been accosted several hundred times. I was also amazed by how clean Dallas was compared to the S@!# hole that is Seattle.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you want to get a taste of reality, drive from Rome to Florence sometime. 1970 Fiat 500 in the right lane, BMW 500 in the left flashing its lights. You move over never to get in the left lane again.

12. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

i'll see you Rome and raise you Athens . . .

telleutelleme likes this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Pine Curtain, I like it...

14. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Colonial pkwy? Indeed. There’s some great restaurants up that way too as I’m sure you’re aware. I always make it a point to stop at Honey Butter’s Kitchen if I’m up that way for work. Great Outta the way seafood spots. There was an awesome record store up there called American Classics but I don’t think it’s around anymore. And I heard about a good little Mom & Pop guitar shop on Mercury Blvd. Great state parks up there too. My lady grew up in Hampton.

15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Worst in the lower 48 (well the 47 that I’ve been to; can’t speak to Maine) was actually the Boston area. But near Portland OR was a close second. Portland was really bad for riding in the left lane. Houston and DFW areas weren’t as bad for drivers, but a lot of the freeway markings were missing in the freeways in the DFW area, and in areas where there were changes in the number of lanes. That was nice. LA and Detroit’s are like black holes when traffic can move; the closer you get to the town center, the faster traffic moves. How is that possible? I 5 north of Bakersfield is silly fast. One time between Stockton and Bakersfield I was traveling late at night on I-5 going south. I was in a (rental) Lincoln LS-V8 doing about 105, and was about median speed on that section of freeway. I looked in my rear view, and saw the CHiP bubblegum machine outline a ways back and began slowing down. I was doing about 90 when he went past at about 120-125, and he never even glanced at me. Didn’t pull over faster cars ahead of me. The several times I was on that section of highway, median speed never seemed to be less than 90.

Living in the Phoenix metroplex, I can say traffic here can be almost as bad as LA. Worse when the snowbirds are here, and you get the driver expectations of every state from Ohio to Idaho to Missouri to Utah and several Canadian provinces. The all seem to bring the worst behavior of each of those places with them...LOL

Not as fast, but way crazier than anything in the US was Seoul and Taipei. Well for places I have driven. Bangkok was crazy as well, I just never drove there; I only observed. Just one person’s observations.

Rustbucket likes this.
  16. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Yes...Mercury Guitars, I think it's called. Just a Pops guitar shop...and he knows his stuff, particularly for fixing and modifying old gear. Small but you never know what you'll find there. I got a 1990s Peavey strat there for just over $120 that he'd renovated and set up nicely with a brass nut, etc. (I needed something to noodle on while I'm in VA.)
    He had a tele on the wall that he'd completely made himself...a 1949 prototype copy. I doubt it weighed 6 pounds and it was incredible.
    I don't know if he's a member here, but if he isn't he should be.

If things settle enough by autumn we'll head back over. I got into fishing for catfish on the James and I'm missing it...

17. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

SAme here in Spain, I think is worldwide...

18. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Good to know! I have to check that place out. I just might be catfishing on the James myself over the weekend.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  19. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

A good spot is the last (or first) pull off on the Colonial Parkway right near where you head to Jamestown Island. It's the Powhatan Creek just before it goes behind the island into the James. I've done well there off the rocks....but watch for snakes.
    Rarely anyone else there.

20. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Noted, thanks! I’m somewhat familiar with the area from a little sight seeing, never stopped to fish. I’ll be a ways upstream in the Upper Brandon area, but I’ll keep that spot in mind for future trips!

TG likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.