east texas driving rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doctorunderhill, May 21, 2020.

1. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

less people.

i rode 10,000 miles a year on west texas roads on a bicycle around here for 20 years. ain't that bad.

tery likes this.
  2. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

I don't even refer to the motor vehicle operators in Dallas Ft. Worth as "drivers". they're Gladiators, pure and simple. if you want to "mix it up" on 635 you had better be ready- and it doesn't really matter if it's 5pm on a Friday or 2am Wednesday morning.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

During normal traffic here in California, if you enter the fast lane on the I-5 corridor once you get down off the Grapevine be prepared to travel at speeds up to one hundred miles and hour with about as much space between you and the car at either end of your vehicle as the vehicles in a NASCAR event. It is truly insane. Coming from Frisco is exactly the same. When they have a wreck out there, it's SPECTACULAR!

JL_LI likes this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I believe it. Not quite that fast around here. Mostly the top end is 80 in/around Nashville.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I grew up in Tyler and learned to drive in an Austin Healey Sprite in 1965.
    I fished on lake Palestine many times.
    You aren't just a' woofing it about Houston drivers.
    I had guns pulled on me many times, maybe a dozen times both while in my car and on my bicycle. Freeway drives would wave they gun around, but on the bicycle it was more personal. I had a taxi driver point a gun at me point blank and threaten to kill me. I 'think' he was confused me with someone else, but one never knows, do one?

Mark

6. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Some years ago I was commenting on this same issue in SC to a coworker from IL. He said it was not an issue there. If you travel more than .2 of a mile in the left lane without passing you get ticketed. He said at that time the law was enforced heavily. Don't know about now.

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have driven this country MANY times, many tens of thousands of miles. IME, rural Louisiana, and the whole of Texas, hands down have the worst drivers of anywhere I've been. It's like their brains are made of porridge or sumthin'. The entire Deep South follows on my list of horrible driving. In terms of sheer aggression, Chicago and Boston are the worst IME. But in terms of sheer stupidity and technical incompetence, it's the areas I mentioned. The stupidity/incompetence is far more dangerous IMO. Aggression is bad, but if it is employed with attentiveness, smarts, and skill, I can tolerate it a lot more than people who simply are bad at what they are doing and have no idea what is going on around them.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    doctorunderhill likes this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

YUP!

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  9. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:lol:apparently the only qualifications for obtaining a driver's license in texas is $25 and a Face.:twisted:

Well sir, to raise the onus of responsibilities of Texas, East Texas drivers

I feel obliged to say that it seems that you haven't spent much time driving in California , perhaps a few wet winters in Nor-Cal traffic could freshen your perspective on the drivers in the East Texas.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 49 merc.jpg

10. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Right. When you talk to native Texans it seem perfect.

11. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

It's just because we haven't been anyplace else. It's a trap. Don't fall for it.

I tried to tell the government in Austin, "Before you let them build a wall on the southern border, you should build practice walls on the other borders."

I was trying to help save the rest of the country.

Do you think they listened to me? Absolutely not.

elihu and Canner like this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I like how practically all of texas is a toll road now... rent a car...a month later, you get a bill... taxin' da little man!

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  13. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I need to re-read my Roman history. I must have missed the part where Gladiators had their stupid faces buried in mobile phones during the battles. ;)

Not to mention the Gladiators with rattletrap trailers tied to their chariots with tools falling off at 75 MPH.

14. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

My favorite part of driving in Texas (Dallas) is the service road debacle. I like passing my hotel on the highway and knowing it may be an hour to get back to it. (After visiting three or four racetracks, I mean highways)
    If only I had taken the exit 5 miles before or was it 3 miles after.
    The 75 mph two lane roads are fun! Being passed by a ragged pickup truck doing the ton is exciting as well.

USian Pie likes this.
  15. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I feel like a lot of folks forgot how to drive during quarantine. Here in VA things started opening back up and with that some truly abhorrent displays of driving.

16. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

You wanna see idiot drivers, come to the Louisville,KY area. I don't know how some people ever got a driver's license.

17. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

I live and East Texas and obeying the law on the highway is important. I have noticed an increase in road rage behaviors but it's usually within the city limits where people who were all for the rules on the open road suddenly can't stand to have more of them with a reduced speed limit to boot.

18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I can imagine.
    I've spent the last few winters in Williamsburg VA and have gone down the peninsula many times in your direction and I shudder recalling some of the 'incidents' I witnessed.

I always put myself in the lane to the left of the slow lane and followed the next vehicle ahead leaving lots of space for idiots to lurch across multiple lanes in one go from either direction.
    Then I'd hold steady and hope that I'd be able to navigate my exit without an oversized pickup truck cutting me off at the last moment.

19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Was in Dallas in February. Made the mistake of getting on a toll road on ramp, got off about a mile down the road. Received a bill from the rental agency for $35.00.:mad:

The mile didn't take too long as I bumped it up to 100 MPH.;)

The toll roads are kind of like NASCAR with inexperienced drivers.

USian Pie and getbent like this.
  20. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

This man. He knows my pain.

8trackmind likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.