east texas driving rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doctorunderhill, May 21, 2020.

1. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

out on the road today here behind the pine curtain and boy oh boy the examples of driving skills displayed both on state highways as well as streets inside the city limits was EXCEPTIONAL- even for east texas. even though it is a state law in texas that on 4 lane highways the inside lane is for PASSING ONLY- the line of Goobers using it as a normal traffic lane was at least half of the traffic headed south on the state highway I was on. and not only were they constipating the flow of traffic NONE of them were driving even close to the posted speed. I have even seen law enforcement do the very same thing- no emergency, no flashing lights or sirens- just toodling along sight seeing I guess.
    and turn indicators?? you can forget that sh*t. hell, if it wasn't for the windshield wipers or cruise control being on the same stalk they could just leave the damn turn indicator lever off the vehicle and put in something these knuckle dragging troglodytes might use- like a cup holder.
    apparently the only qualifications for obtaining a driver's license in texas is $25 and a Face.

2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

But I thought everything was better in Texas? :D What you described drives me nuts as well. We have the same law here in AZ, but many ignore it.

I have driven many places, but the worst example of this I have ever seen is on the I-5 between LA and the Bay Area. It seems there all cars hang in the left lane and uses the right to pass. Only the trucks seem to use the right like they should.

doctorunderhill likes this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I remember when the national speed limit law was abolished, and Hwy 59 through Atlanta (TX) clear down to Longview was freaking 75 MPH. It may still be. That's not even interstate. That's highway, going through towns and such... traffic lights... cross traffic.

BorderRadio and doctorunderhill like this.
  4. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Get off my lawn! :cry:

carpenter likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

What a great title for a song.

verb boten likes this.
  6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Wait until you get to West Texas … just sayin ;)

singlecoil, elihu and doctorunderhill like this.
  7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

The world is filled with far too many folks who get in those inside lanes, white knuckling the wheel whilst chiding everyone else for going to dang fast. No one ought to go faster than them. They’re going plenty fast enough. Bless their hearts.

8. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Yeah. Everyone definitely needs to stay out of East Texas.

(...because it's gorgeous and I want to move there before it gets totally overrun)

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

There is a difference between states about usage of the left and right lanes. Most people don't realize that.

Or maybe they are exercising their _______________ rights?:rolleyes:

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I made a post here one time years and years ago about drivers who hoard the passing lane.

A moderator at the time (no longer around) gave me a verbal lashing for basically just stating the law (in Tennessee too) that designates that lane as a passing lane. The moderator basically told me that same old thing... if the person in that lane was going at the speed limit, then I had no business wanting to pass. Then he locked the thread.

verb boten, FLHT, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  11. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Adie Gray's Grandpa was right:

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Here in North Texas (Metroplex) it's pretty much the same.Most of the blame, though, can be attributed to all the Northerners and Left-Coasters flooding into the area. How do I know they're not native Texans?....well for one thing they predominantly drive black cars. NOBODY who grew up in Texas drives a black (or even dark colored) vehicle.....it's just stupid when the National Temperature of Texas (official, passed by the Texas Legislature) is 100 degrees F. Signals?.....ha! They must not want to take a chance on burning out those little bulbs. And, the predominant form of aggressive driving I witness is OBSTRUCTIVE driving. Why drive the speed limit when they can slow down and block everyone else from getting where they need to go?

carpenter and doctorunderhill like this.
  13. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Not true. It’s terrible here. The only people who feel remotely comfortable are from Oklahoma. Everyone else will hate it and should stay away.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

"But I thought everything was better in Texas?".......you're absolutely right.......everything WAS better in Texas, before it got overrun by "furriners". :)

StillAliveandWell likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And they made you speak their language! :mad:

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I lived in that area in 77 to 82 in Marshall and then in Longview. I worked at LeTourneau in Longview for 4 years.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I've been driving in texas and different parts of the country since the 70's... In texas, it has ALWAYS been ⅓ of the cars going 40 mph on the freeways, ⅓ of the cars going 100 and ⅓ just kind of experiencing the insanity that that brings.

the menion of I5 is funny. everyone in the left lane is doing 85-90 in a long line... don't like it? get in the right lane and risk getting collected by a trucker... simple rules and you can usually get from SF to LA in 6 hours... not too bad.

fretWalkr and doctorunderhill like this.
  18. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I’ve driven all over the country in almost all “57” states and I’ve seen horrible idiot drivers in everyone. :lol:

19. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

I know those places well. I had several good friends that worked at Letourneau back in the late 60s and 70s. longview has outgrown it's streets and roads. I remember when the completed loop 281 was opened- there was a traffic load taken at that time and it exceeded the estimate projected for 25 years in the future.

Paris actually has a loop as well as Nacogdoches- no intersections, no stop lights service is strictly thru access ramps on/off. longview's loop replaced highway 80 as the main drag and you can't go 500yrds without negotiating an intersection with a signal.

20. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Yew bin ta Houston, boy?:oops: NE Texas drivers can be a pain (we lived on Lake Palestine, SW of Tyler), SE Texas drivers suffer from chronic cranial interrectumosis, but here in the Houston area, they're just vicious!:mad::eek::rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.