1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

EARTHQUAKE!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Mar 31, 2020.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

6.5 is big. I lived through a 7.1. Still a big difference between the two, but above 5 is always scary. Glad everyone/everything is OK.

2. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Just read you're up to nine quakes now.

3. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Wow, you don't need something like that at a time like this.
    Hope all the cats are ok.
    Take care & stay safe.

4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’m in central Illinois. On the news this morning, they said that the quake was picked up on a seismograph. I didn’t feel it but apparently the shock waves made it to central Illinois.

I hope you are all safe.

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

As of this morning there have been over 30 aftershocks of up to 3.6 magnitude.

6. Ironwolf

I've been watching the morning local news. People around the metro area sending in photos of cracked and broken drywall, plaster, windows and cracked foundations. I've got to get out and check my foundation today.

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Earthquake - great name for a band ... stay safe !

8. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Yikes !

Hope everything is okay...

9. Ironwolf

Crumbled chimneys and some gas leaks reported, including in the down town area.

10. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

Ironwolf, I'm in Hailey and we got a pretty good ride. The house was roll'in, the plants were a shaking and the hanging pot rack was banging away. Pretty scary, but nothing broken. This quake was pretty deep in the big mountains and wilderness. I wonder what the big rock formations look like. A quake like this could bring down huge rocks, dump truck size, I'd like to see that.

11. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

Ironwolf, I'm in Hailey and we got a pretty good ride. The house was roll'in, the plants were a shaking and the hanging pot rack was banging away. Pretty scary, but nothing broken. This quake was pretty deep in the big mountains and wilderness. I wonder what the big rock formations look like. A quake like this could bring down huge rocks, dump truck size, I'd like to see that.

12. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sorry to hear this. Last thing you need with everything else going, but glad you’re okay.

13. Ironwolf

The news has had photos of some car sized boulders that have tumbled onto some of the highways. I just checked our foundation, I didn't find any cracks. When it hit here, it sounded like heavy thunder or a BIG truck going by. The whole house rolled and shook for a good 30 seconds. I was in the kitchen and went to the living room to check on my mother and got there just in time to keep her China cabinet from tumbling over on her. We had things knocked off shelves, a clock knocked of the wall hanging items (including guitars) swinging and cats cowering and howling. Glad to hear there wasn't much damage in the Stanley/Haily/Sun Valley area it was only half the distance from you as from us. Stay indoors up there in Haily. Be safe.

14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep...felt it in Hayden/CDA. Idaho. Sitting in my chair. Slow rocking and only moved the plants to sway a bit.

15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Glad your safe. Biggest quake I was in was about 5 when working in Taiwan. Got back to the hotel from the office, and had an apology note from the hotel staff on my pillow... As much as the high-rise I was in was swaying, I’m glad I wasn’t in a 6+

Actually, the scale goes above 9. It is open ended. But a 9.3 is 1000 times as powerful as the 6.3 the OP described. The 2004 Sumatran quake was 9.1-9.3, and one in Chile was 9.4-9.6.

OTOH, getting away from structures is generally a good idea.

16. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Stay safe IW...

17. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I lived in Idaho Falls during the 6.9 magnitude Mt. Borah quake and moved to the Bay Area two years before 6.9 magnitude Loma Prieta quake. I think that's enough excitement for me...

18. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

I checked my foundation briefly last night. Going to do more thorough checking today.

I saw the picture of the boulders on the road. Was it 55 or 21? I am sure there are some forest service roads that might need some work this spring when the snow is off.

19. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Or Album...

tery likes this.
  20. Ironwolf

I'm not sure which highway. It could have been either. Avalanche Alley on 21 had an avalanche that closed the road even before the quake.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.